G1 Optimus Prime build

Question

Hey all,

I decided that I might wanna try working on a Generation 1 Optimus Prime. I'll be using foam and cardboard to build it. I'm going to try to model it after the Revoltech G1 Optimus Prime to make it look more "suit-like"

8137aaa3a7ee58fd1c11f01d788a94ea.image.326x500.jpg

Does anyone know if there are any foam templates available? I was just going to do everything by (more than meets the) "eye"

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Let's transform and roll out! WOOT

I don't know if there are foam templates available, but Stealth did a fast build of G1 Optimus and posted a vid of the build on Youtube. This might be helpful in assisting your build.

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing this project get going!

Good choice for a basis. The revoltech's are the best non transforming ones around, hasbro needs to start using those joints in their figures.

Here's my first version of the G1 Optimus Prime helmet. It's not as clean as I'd like but I think it turned out pretty decently. I'm going to try and insert blue LEDs for the eyes. Any idea what I can use for a 'filler' material to close up any spaces in the foam? Any advice would be appreciated. 20130921_234454.jpg

Hi all

With a day to go I thought people would like to see the progress I've made. Pretty much everything was done free hand. The helmet was from a pep file that I modified for foam (I don't know who made it as I found it on google but thanks!) I also used Fatman's technique to make quick robot 'hands' (not pictured)

2013-10-30 17.07.12.jpg

The eyes light up via LEDS (from Stealth's pepakura videos ... which seem to be missing now?) and the paint on the smoke stacks for the shoulder armor is drying as we speak.

Happy Halloween everyone!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back