Fully Functional EXTENDING 11th Remote

kursosawa

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Guys/Gals I have some new...huge news. AN EXTENDING 11TH SONIC WITH REMOTE CONTROL FUNCTION IS POSSIBLE! I have been doing a bit of tinkering with the electronics setup and it works! My biggest hold up was that I could not find an green LED with IR capabilities that was compatible with the electronics from the TWC 10th Remote. I did not think that the LED from the 11th remote would be compatible, but long story short, I made it work. Now to install it into one of my remote conversions and see if the gesture controls work. Details to come as I make progress on this.

*sigh* and here I swore that I would not mess around with the 10th remote electronics again. Soldering that switch is not going to be fun.

first round of WIP pics. mostly the remote control electronics:

First I had to remove the momentary switch on the board so as to be able to wire in the new switch on the outside of the body. Simply put I hated this part. The area to which I had to solder the new wires is insanely small. See emitter for scale. After that I had to solder new wires to the front of the board so as they can extend all the way to the emitter on the 11th

Next up, the LED which comes from the 11th remote and mating it with the 10th remote board.

The 10th board as 3 contact wire running from the front, whereas the 11th LED has 4. After examining the 11th remote board, i realized that the 11th LED has two sets of contacts (2 positive and 2 negatives) where as the 10th board has1 positive to for the blue LED, a positive for the IR function, and a common negative for the two. from there It was just a simple matter of finding out which was which, and connecting the two negative contacts on the 11th LED and Voila! The two now work perfectly in unison

I know the negative contact on the far right looks like its crossing over and positive contact underneath it, but its not. The positive contact will be covered in heat shrink so the two wont touch.

The extending remote is complete! Ill post a video of the finished product in the next few days. Overall, it works quite well. Most of the gestures remain unaffected by the additional weight and casings. The only functions affected by the new body are the 4 tap gestures. Those require a little more force than the 10th remote but not by a whole lot. Personally i find this an improvement. I have found that the tap functions work best when I tap on the rubber section.

When building this remote I was most worried about the fact that the resin emitter might interfere with the IR signal. I figured this is why the stock remote emitter had that clear uncolored bit at the top. However the resin emitter I used works just fine. Overall a fun little project. pics and vid to come later this week.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back