Fubar?! --Saving Private Ryan

Andymac84

Sr Member
So...how would you explain the phrase? Is this a real used term back then?
I always explained it to myself as fubar = the $4!+ they've put us into..
Any other thoughts?:)

Back before my Father died, there was an argument between Ken Burns and PBS over which one to use. I asked my Father, a WWII U.S. Marine, which one is correct. Fouled Up Beyond All Repair, or ***ked Up Beyond All Repair. He said, both, it depended upon the company you were taking to when you used it. :lol:

There were a number of Private Snafu instructional cartoons made during WWII for the U.S. Military. Back in the 80s, Night Flight on USA used to show what they could of them occasionally. They were made for Military personal during war time to drive a lesson home, so the content could be a bit, shall we say, non Hays office code compliant.

David.

Wasn´t there an explanation within the movie itself of how the G.I.´s came to use the word "FUBAR"?!

IIRC they explained it by us Krauts saying "FURCHTBAR" which translates to "terrible/ dreadful/ horrible" and the US soldiers put this term into a slightly different, still similar context.

Markus

Wasn´t there an explanation within the movie itself of how the G.I.´s came to use the word "FUBAR"?!

IIRC they explained it by us Krauts saying "FURCHTBAR" which translates to "terrible/ dreadful/ horrible" and the US soldiers put this term into a slightly different, still similar context.

Markus

Upham asked what it meant when he first heard it and they just brushed him off. When they were setting up for the last battle at the bridge Upham puts it together. Didn't say where it came from. They did say it was German I think as a joke but he said he never heard of it before.

FUBAR is military slang from way back. And I believe the R is for Repair. SNAFU is another similar item.

I've actually heard the term "SNAFU" before, but i never knew what it meant. i don't know if I'm having a serious brain fart or what but i can't figure it out

Markus

I've read tons of WW2 books and never heard that, interesting.

BTW, every time I've heard FUBAR is was ****** up beyond all recognition. I guess the R is interchangeable.

When I was in the military we used recognition. And we never used fouled. :)
And snafu.
And bohica.
Charlie Foxtrot
Immediately followed by FIDO
FNG
BFH

Soooo many more I can't really think of. Except the finale:
FTA

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back