From "THE BLACK HOLE": V.I.N.CENT and Maximillian on display at Disney Expo!

Wow, some fantastic photos in this thread, thank you all so much for sharing them.

Here are a few of the pics I took of the scale model of Maximillian from the Planet Hollywood display in Disney Land Paris.

DisneyParis2005088.jpg

DisneyParis2005068.jpg

DisneyParis2005070.jpg

DisneyParis2005074.jpg

DisneyParis2005076.jpg

DisneyParis2005080.jpg

DisneyParis2005081.jpg

DisneyParis2005085.jpg

DisneyParis2005086.jpg

DisneyParis2005089.jpg

DisneyParis2005090.jpg

DisneyParis2005092.jpg

Andy

Wow, those are some great pics! I'm glad to see at least the Palamino is still intact, I still get choked up when I think about the story that the remaining Cygnus model that was on display briefly at the New York Museum of Modern Art was run over in it's crate by someone on a forklift and destroyed. :cry Great pics of the miniature Max too, Clanger68!

I was on the net last night and read on one site where you could take all the pics you wanted of some props, such as Herbie or the new Tron Lightcycle, where with others "the Disney thugs will come over and beat you down with their mouse ears if you so much as pull out a cell phone". :confused Among the props you could not take pictures of where Jack Sparrow's original costume, Mary Poppins' costume, and yep, you guessed it, V.I.N.CENT. and Maximillian. :angry I don't understand why they allowed people to snap all the pics they want, even pose with some props, while others are strictly off limits.:unsure This makes no sense to me. In any event, thank you guys for posting those pics you have, those are really great! I would love to see more if you find any. I did find two images of V.I.N.CENT. and Maximillian on a site promoting the D23 Expo:

3920540498_8523a007e2_b.jpg

This V.I.N.CENT. has held up pretty well, althgough it appears his front gripper on the left side was lost and replaced with one of the grippers on his side. The paint on this one has held up a lot better than the one that used to be on display at Planet Hollywood.

3920540934_17844d60d5_b.jpg

Max appears to have seen a lot of abuse and neglect, there are cracks in the fiberglass, and some areas actually appear to be repaired with scotch tape! There are even bigger versions of the images here: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/09/06/sneak-peek-treasure-of-the-walt-disney-archives-at-d23-expo-hi-res-photo-gallery/. There are also pics of some of the other props in this site. I wish Disney would restore him and put him and V.I.N.CENT. on permanent display, along with the Humanoid and Palamino. I haven't seen an original Sentry on display anywhere, and no one seems to know what happened to the full sized Old B.O.B.

It's always seemed strange that for years Disney wanted nothing to do with "The Black Hole", even selling DVD distribution rights to Anchor Bay, and a few years later they release it "For the first time on Disney DVD", and are now trying to raise interest the the movie again. Maybe they are planing on a remake?

Last edited:
I've seen the Vincent that is in the Disney Archive office. (They also had a humanoid, some artwork, and the head of a Sentry robot there as well.) Anybody know if the Vincent at D23 is the same one?

Gene

It must be, the shots in the Disney offices show the replaced left claw as well. In spite of the missing claw, this V.I.N.CENT. must have been treated with a lot of care, the paint still looks fantastic, especially to be 30 years old! I wonder if any full Sentry costumes still exist? I have a copy of the upper torso that was molded from the plaster buck that was restored for a private individual a few years ago. I wonder how many of the props still exist? I seem to remember reading somewhere there were about eight V.I.N.CENT.s, six Maximillians, and only two Old B.O.B.s, because the prop of B.O.B. didn't have to be as articulated as the others.

Here's a couple of shots of Max from the Jan 1980 issue of American Cinematograper:

Max2.jpg

Max1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for those great pics you've shared here!

It's tricky to find good-quality reference pictures of this great movie...

I wonder if anybody here has a few pics of the Sentry Robot to share?

Last edited:
It must be, the shots in the Disney offices show the replaced left claw as well. In spite of the missing claw, this V.I.N.CENT. must have been treated with a lot of care, the paint still looks fantastic, especially to be 30 years old! I wonder if any full Sentry costumes still exist? I have a copy of the upper torso that was molded from the plaster buck that was restored for a private individual a few years ago. I wonder how many of the props still exist? I seem to remember reading somewhere there were about eight V.I.N.CENT.s, six Maximillians, and only two Old B.O.B.s, because the prop of B.O.B. didn't have to be as articulated as the others.

Here's a couple of shots of Max from the Jan 1980 issue of American Cinematograper:

Max2.jpg

Max1.jpg

I'm owning the original plaster mold bust of the Sentry Robot now.

It was sold on eBay not so long ago but suffered heavy damage from the long journey from the U.S. to Germany due to wrong packaging. The restoration work on it will soon be finished and I'd gladly share some pics of it as well if you like...

Last edited:
Two characters that always reminded me of Max were Zorg from Toy Story and the robot from Zathura. Not 100% of course, but I thought they were paying homage in small ways.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back