From the Archives! New pics discovered on Pg 4

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Pauleysolo, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes I came across the picture today unexpectedly-it was taken around Halloween night in 1981. We won a few costume contests that year-I am Solo in the picture...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

holy cow...that's amazing

3. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Pretty awesome costumes...

Are they from some movie or something? They look vaguely familiar. . . :D

4. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys look great. That's a fantastic picture. I'm glad you found it again. :)

5. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW.

Very Impressive.

The Luke and Leia are good likenesses too.

6. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice work, all of the costumes look great. I have seen some costumes today that don't look as good as those.

7. TK-2067

TK-2067 Well-Known Member

looks great guys. i agree, they look better then some i see today.

8. Pauleysolo

In keeping with the Star Wars Halloween theme- I found this one from my Halloween party last year- a friend came as Dr Evil- that is me as Vader.

Dr Evil really liked those Master Replica FX sabers--since he is so eeeeviiiil-I guess he should have probably had a red one though

[​IMG]

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

It just occured to me...where did you guys get blasters like that in 1981????

10. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Apr 23 2006, 04:34 AM) [snapback]1231505[/snapback]</div>
    I was about to 'correct' you, Thomas, as I mis-read the original post as 1991..... which I thought was pretty * impressive...

But.... 19-EIGHTY ONE.?.?. Now that is seriously impressive.... the blasters, the Chewbacca costume, the character's likeness to the actors, especially 'Leia' who is about 10 lbs short of being a 99% clone of Carrie Fisher. :love Shame I was only 6 years-old in 1981. ;)

Absolutely stunning work. Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,
    John

11. Pauleysolo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord @ Apr 22 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]1231505[/snapback]</div>
    I had a good friend who was a history teacher and a real militaria buff. Since all we had in those days was some very limited photo reference like the StarWars storybook and soundtrack album picture, no visual dictionaries, no DVD's with frame grab capabilities, and no RPF we had to look elsewhere. We looked through the old militaria archives and identified the base weapons we now know and love: C96 mauser, sterling machine gun etc and went from there adding the scopes, grips details as best we could. We were lucky as another friend's dad had a machine shop with a lathe and that really helped with the pieces. All the blasters were all metal. I still have the Solo mauser from those days. We also did Leia's blaster and Chewie's bowcaster which were not in the photo.

Yes Leia looked just like her. Luke and I were college roommates and are still great friends to this day.

12. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

awesome picture, thanks for sharing with us.

do you have more pictures? i´d really would love to see more... :love

13. Pauleysolo

I'll see what I can dig up.

14. cking

cking Sr Member

Holy crap Paul - that's an AWESOME pic.
    :D

Chris

15. Ketzer.com

Ketzer.com Sr Member

Awesome.

Tim

16. Pauleysolo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RoCKo @ Apr 23 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1231625[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I found a couple of more pictures-these are from the 1983 Premiere of Jedi when my friends and I worked the local theater and entertained the lines waiting to get in. We were rewarded with a screening the night before with the local press and the movie theater staff. You can see one of my friends came as George Lucas circa 1983. That cracked us all up.

There were lots of thrilled kids, many happy adults, and we got on the local TV news as well as in the papers. See the articles. I don't know if you can read the text, but you get the idea.

Very nostalgic coming across this old stuff! It was a fun time.

[​IMG]

17. TonyRB

TonyRB Well-Known Member

Wow. that's one cool photo, you all look great in it.

18. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Holy cow. Those are wicked costumes.

19. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Sweet pics. Thanks for sharing. Even more impressive when you consider that it was decades ago.

20. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Double post. Oops. My bad.

21. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

WOW. Let's see, I was six, so I was probably swinging around a wiffle ball bat and calling it a lightsaber. That's great work even by today's research standards when you can see every detail. "Most impressive."

22. NEKROFANATIC

NEKROFANATIC Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

coolio pics. Anymore of "leia"? What happened to that chickie?
    ;)

23. Pauleysolo

Unlike the movies- Luke married her and they are still happily married to this day- some 23 years later.

Don't worry Solo got a great girl as well..

24. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

You said you still have the blaster...? Can you post some current pics of it?

25. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

YEAH...pics please :) ...

I see Luke used a MGC sterling, but I´m interested in the add-on parts

Markus

26. Pauleysolo

The old self-made Solo mauser is in storage-next time I go I will pull it out take a picture and post it.

I did find this picture of it in the holster rig I built back in the early 80's. The picture is recent but that is the same holster I made in my sophomore year at college.

[​IMG]

27. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is that the old Fourm 303 mall in Arlington that closed down a few years ago.... here in Texas?

Also, it would be interesting to see pics of everyone now, 23 years later, to see how times have changed.

28. Pauleysolo

Yes that was the theater

29. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, I remember seeing Tron at the 303 theater back in the day. In 1983 I saw ROTJ when I was 9 years old. I don't remember the theater, I lived in Duncanville (still do) but I'd have to ask my parents what theater we went to.

30. jedivigneri

jedivigneri Well-Known Member

NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE.....

THATS AWESOME. WHO THE HELL IN 81 knew about mausers, sterlings, and what looks like a hensoldt scope on yur mauser? n a M38 on yur sterling...us "old school" rpfrs only found out about this stuff circa 99....MORE PICS... n ya, that leia is a HOTTIE. curt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(James Kenobi 1138 @ Apr 25 2006, 12:53 AM) [snapback]1232503[/snapback]</div>

AND is that a FREAKIN GRAFLEX on lukes belt? did anyone know about graflexs in 81? are ya related to lucas or somthing? sheesh.... :)

31. Pauleysolo

We figured the graflex thing out pretty quickly as early articles referred to Luke's saber as a "converted vintage flashgun" -a quick trip to an old photography shop in Ft. Worth and questioning an old timer there with a few select production stills from Starlog answered that one back in the day.

32. TheDisturbance

TheDisturbance Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauleysolo @ Apr 24 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]1232580[/snapback]</div>
    Dang. You I am humbled to find your love of this hobby is still with you. Amazing story.

My claim to fame is I identified the singlepoint scope. Or at least found one from the little clues. But I had the internet. I was also one of the first to locate a graflex and m32 scope. This of course was all done with the internet.

Mark Cheng

33. RKW

RKW Sr Member

1981.........BLOODY HELL.

Those costumes still put many today to shame and that Chewie costume could give Wook a run for his money.

34. Pauleysolo

I'll pass that on to the friend who made the wookie way back when- he still has the costume.. Only the hands have disintegrated-everything else looks great.

When I gather recent pictures of all the players I will post what we all look like today.

Here is Solo (me) today-all grown up--

[​IMG]

35. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Pauleysolo @ Apr 23 2006, 03:38 AM) [snapback]1231423[/snapback]</div>
    WOW, that's pretty un-freaking amazing... can't believe I missed this thread.

You've matched the promo photo pretty well.
    [​IMG]

And it still amazes me that your picture is from '81. :eek Very impressive.

36. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Just checking out the comparison pic, :confused All I can say is you done a great job....

37. Pauleysolo

Yes I always liked that Rolling Stone cover photo

38. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

The pic of the ROTJ Luke looks spot on... :thumbsup

39. Darth Cross

Darth Cross Well-Known Member

Dang, wish I could've met with you guys back then. You could have helped me with my Vader I did in 79 (after seeing ESB).

[attachmentid=8279]

40. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Cross @ May 27 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]1251670[/snapback]</div>
    lol, I like it :lol

41. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Cross @ May 27 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1251670[/snapback]</div>

??? Did you have access to a time-machine? :p

Cheers,
    John

42. Pauleysolo

No, but when I look at those pictures I feel like I am in one.

43. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

It looks like you guys could do some acting too.

Very cool photo...

44. GroundskeeperWillie

GroundskeeperWillie Well-Known Member

Wow thanks SirJediKnightTim for dredging up a cool old thread--sadly it looks like many of the old pic links are now busted--any chance of a fix, Paul? Those costumes are seriously amazing. My buddies and I made really elaborate KISS costumes back in the late 90s in college and also won a bunch of costume contests that year. It's VERY COOL that you kept good pictures and, more importantly, that you've stayed in touch with the participants over the years. Those are really fantastic costumes. If I saw you back in 1981 (I was 6) I would have thought Luke, Han and Leia had jumped off the screen. Just awesome. :)

45. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Yes please fix the links i'm new here never saw them :D

46. Pauleysolo

OK I'll try to fix those pics tonight

P

47. Pauleysolo

Pictures fixed. :D :D

48. ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy Sr Member

Those look really amazing. That leia was kinda hot too.

And that Bespin Luke is outstanding. Wow.

49. MonCal

MonCal Well-Known Member

Wow.. a year later and I just now catch the thread.

that is amazing. It's hard to believe you did that back in 1981. Awesome job.... and the photo looks amazing. You should have that blown up and framed ;)

50. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

i'm right here with ya Cal, i missed this one.
    You guys look fantastic. I was 14 when i saw ROTJ.
    I would have flipped out if i saw you all at my theater.
    Not only did yu guys get the costumes right you got the hairdos as well.
    And the resmblences to the actors/actress is astonishing.
    I'm sorry but it just blows me away. Very cool indeed. Thanks for for posting it and fixing the pix;-)