Found prop piece!! (Joe Versus The Volcano)

Re: Found prop piece!!

So glad to find someone else who wants one of these lamps.

Sounds like a real... Journey!

Please do share your results when you get permission.

I would pay good money for a replica of the lamp.

No update I suppose? :(

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

So is there any way to get this lamp / lamp shade? I would LOVE to have one!! I see the figure on eBay as well, but the shade looks so difficult to reproduce.

I would pay good money as well :)

Interesting. I've never seen the movie, but had bought a 10.5 inch version of this figure at an antique show. When I had found it, it just had to be mine.

I would very much like to talk with you or the owner and have this made for myself as well.

Wow, almost 3 years to the day since I made my first post about finding this hula girl statue! And what better way to celebrate this almost-3-year anniversary than to receive in the mail my copy of the original lampshade!! Yes, shortly after making my original post, I was able to track down and make contact with the owner of the original lampshade and the original painting used to produce the shade! I contacted him and he was awesome. He sent great pictures of the lamp shade from all angles and of the painting. He also said that a few friends had recently asked him about the lamp shade as well, so he decided to make a few full copies of the entire lamp, including the hula girl base! We went back and forth through emails over the past few years, and finally this year he got around to actually working on them. And just today, I received this beauty.

View attachment 352761

Before anyone asks, I'm trying to get permission from the owner to post the full pictures of the original that he sent to me. I'm working on it.

This isn't the finished lamp, but this gives an idea of what it'll look like when I receive the hula girl base. I'll still need to add in the motion lamp capabilities, music, and the round, cloudy white plastic cover to the lamp that can be seen when Joe points the lamp at Mr. Waturi.

View attachment 352763

Now I just need to track down Tom Hanks to get him to sign the replica and I can officially tell my loved ones to bury me with this lamp when I die!

I had a friend convert the lamp tune into a piano melody, and I also obtained directions for making a music box to play the tune. Would love to get a copy of the artwork! My wife got me the hula girl statue for Christmas.

I wanted to share my recreation of the lamp. I found this thread about a year ago and recreated the lamp for my wife who is a huge fan of the movie. We are currently using the lamp in our baby girl's nursery (future fan of the film). Sorry the photos are not the best at this time.

Process -

Figure from ebay
Lamp base (had to stain), light and shade holder from local Lamp Repair company
Shade was done by frame/frame screen shot from the film and splicing images together and then printing onto lamp shade.
Hula Skirt ribbon from local craft store

It's not exactly the same, but my wife was shocked when I revealed it to her. It's her favorite piece in our house now.

DSC_0040[1].JPG DSC_0039[1].JPG

Very well done!

Rob

Awesome job! I have my hula girl, I just need to figure out the lamp shade. If msisaac would be cool enough to let us know how to get in touch with the owner of the original, I would be very happy.

I have been looking for this lamp for YEARS! Thank you for all the information you have posted. I just received my Vintage Hawaiian Female Dancer Figurine in the mail today and I am on my way, finally, to making this lamp. Could you please put me in contact with the owner of the original lamp shade so I can share your happiness and complete this project? Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

I signed up to this forum just to post in this thread, I too have desperately wanted to make a replica of Joe's lamp ever since seeing the movie in theaters. I have seen posts referencing making contact with the artist, and pics of the full lamp shade image. If anyone is able to help me get in contact with the artist, or can pm me pics of the image, you will have made a lifelong dream of mine come true.

View attachment Lamp Shade 4 small.jpg
I made a composite picture from images in this thread and my own work. (I recreated the iceberg scene so it's not as accurate)
The detail is not that great, but I thought it would be great for people that want the shade. I almost added the full resolution (this is small)
to the free paper props, but then I wasn't sure....

Am I allowed to add this to free paper props ? Some of the work is from the photos in this thread that are not mine.

Last edited:
View attachment 537300
I made a composite picture from images in this thread and my own work. (I recreated the iceberg scene so it's not as accurate)
The detail is not that great, but I thought it would be great for people that want the shade. I almost added the full resolution (this is small)
to the free paper props, but then I wasn't sure....

Am I allowed to add this to free paper props ? Some of the work is from the photos in this thread that are not mine.

Not sure about the paper props question.

I think it's very kind of you to share your work. One side note...it should be a cloud rather than an ice berg behind the ship.

Rob

I think it's very kind of you to share your work. One side note...it should be a cloud rather than an ice berg behind the ship.

Rob

;)

Strange cloud indeed. It goes right down to the water and is tall and pointy. Guess I'll have to fix that. :)

On a related note, there is a website that makes custom lampshades.

http://www.zazzle.com/personalize_lamp_shade-256202881329762808

From the right, choose "lamp shade only" and then click "customize it".
Add your image and drag it to fill the white area completely. My picture has a border for the "bleed" area.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Jintosh, thank you for taking the time. This gets me one step closer, one day it will be mine! :lol I would still be interested if anyone has a copy of the old pics in this thread or a line to the original artist/prop maker.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back