FOUND! AT-AT helmet greeblie

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update:

Looks like the one.
atat_part1.jpg

I always thought the greeblies that hang down from the grey hoses on the AT-AT helmets looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it came to me... remember those cumbersome soda syphons (if you're a youngster you probably won't. :p)? Remember the part that held the gas cylinder which you inserted into the bottle and turned it to carbonate the water? That part is usually called the 'bulb holder'.

Could that be what they used?

Here's an example of one of these bulb holders (circled in red). This is just one example I found online. I know this isn't a very close match but there were probably many different variations available. The shape is similar though.
syphon.jpg

And here's the AT-AT greeblie:
post-7836-1144037103.jpg

The AT-AT ribbed tube would be inserted into the open end of the bulb holder that the gas cylinder would stick out of.

Hi Marcus,

Is this the same one it looks like it apart from there is a piece which appears to be missing on the helmet the extra part may detach?

chrissimm.jpg

Cheers Chris.

Hey Chris, that looks just like the parts used on the AT-AT helmets :thumbsup
Where can we buy those in the UK?

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Up late tonight mate :) I am working on finding these. I have obviously found this one and it is in the UK but I would think that if Marcus has cracked it by his first post these would have been a largely manufactured piece by on of the big gas companies.

Air products and BOC Edwards spring to mind and these pieces may have been used for soda taps in pubs as well I would imagine if these are made by a big gas company they are more than likely still making this piece.

Now doing my homework on this hopefully results soon :D

Chris.

The little CO2 bulbs appear to be called sparklets I have found some made by BOC. The same types of soda syphons also called sparklets are also made by BOC.

Now on to checking BOC.

Cheers Chris.

These are 8 gram CO2 cylinders they are used for the soda syphons and also vintage whipped cream makers and more recently paint ball guns.

Possibly the ATAT piece comes from a whipped cream maker or a soda syphon or the same part may be used in both it is just finding out the model of syphon. Looks like on some of the syphon models it is housed inside so cannot be seen. There are some technical drawings from users manuals online but haven't got the correct model yet.

Chris.

Well I have a bid on this one on ebay if I get it then we can see how it looks in proportion to a helmet and if it is the real deal then somebody can have it to cast up and get a run on the go.

Maybe I have given away too much info on my auction bid (not hard for the sleuths on the RPF to track it down) but if somebody uses the information I have given to outbid me then good luck to them. If somebody does outbid me using the info I have given freely to the community then please make them avaiable in a run and don't keep it for yourself .

Also if it is the piece I would think there will be more than a few out there as this would have been a mass produced piece so please don't let this out the hat so the price rockets. If this is a part from a soda syphon and we can prove the model type it came from then the whole syphon goes for a couple of pound and I would think the holder piece would be included so it will be worth all our time to not inform the sellers.

Lets just hope we can find the model / part number and get the proper piece.

Looking more and more at reference it looks very likely it is the piece especially the proprtions of the two cut out rectangles (one small nearer helmet cheek and larger facing out) in relation to the outer fin pieces.

Great memory on the soda syphon Marcus :thumbsup hope this turns out to be the real deal.

Cheers Chris.

I'm surprised no here is asking for TE AT-AT helmet owners to show pics.

I know TE had casts of what was used on his helmets, I know, I could have bought a set from him.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ May 5 2006, 02:26 AM) [snapback]1238623[/snapback]</div>
I'm surprised no here is asking for TE AT-AT helmet owners to show pics.

I know TE had casts of what was used on his helmets, I know, I could have bought a set from him.

Lynn
[/b]

Hi Lynn,

Good point any good reference pictures would be great. Are you sure he said paint stirrers as the ends of these don't look like they would do much stirring as a practical piece. Are you sure it wasn't paint sprayer as this CO2 cannister holder would be used for many purposes for the 8 gram CO2 cannisters searching for this piece I have found three instantly.

Anyway any reference screen used or TE would be ideal :)

Cheers Chris.

Well, I'm atleast 85% sure he called them paint stirrers, I do know he made casts of what was actually used though. I just didn't thave the extra $$$ to get them when I got his some of his AT-AT detail parts.
Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lynn TXP 0369 @ May 5 2006, 02:50 AM) [snapback]1238648[/snapback]</div>
Well, I'm atleast 85% sure he called them paint stirrers, I do know he made casts of what was actually used though. I just didn't thave the extra $$$ to get them when I got his some of his AT-AT detail parts.
Lynn
[/b]

Hi Lynn,

I just left a message over at www.sandtrooper.net for Matt as I know he frequents that forum sometimes. Hopefully he can give us any insight into this piece he may have :)

Cheers Chris.

That's got to be it. Way to go guys.

I had searched online as well and found a charger holder for a Liss soda siphon. It's looks pretty much the same but the fins aren't correct like the one you found Chris. I went ahead and ordered a couple thinking the fins would be an easy fix. Below is a pic of the one's I ordered from prairiemoon.biz.

[attachmentid=7899] [attachmentid=7900]

You guys are awesome.
I think you are all onto something. The AT-AT helmet is my fav helmet in all of SW and the thought of getting a hold of some of the real found parts is just too much. I may just have to do a run of them. If anyone wants to collaborate...

As this part has been found by Marcus and as Chris has found what looks like the exact same version of the part that was used on the helmets, then i think the right thing to do is let Chris or Marcus win the auction and for none of us here to bid on it.

Keith.

I already told Chris I will not bid against him but if I can get the next two (well there are two on the helmet after all :p ) that would be great. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keith @ May 5 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1238827[/snapback]</div>
As this part has been found by Marcus and as Chris has found what looks like the exact same version of the part that was used on the helmets, then i think the right thing to do is let Chris or Marcus win the auction and for none of us here to bid on it.

Keith.
[/b]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back