Forbidden Planet props.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jason1976, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

This was one of those movies I always mint to watch, but every time it was on TV, I never had the time to watch it. Well, last weekend I went to the 23rd annual Ohio 24 hour Sci-fi Marathon, and this year among the films they showed was Forbidden Planet, along with a bunch of other Robbie stuff. :)

I love this movie. What a great old film. It still really holds up too. Plus it was even better because it was on the big screen. :) Not to mention, it was a pretty ornery crowd, so we had a lot of fun with this film. They even had an exclusive pretaped interview with Anne Francis. (the girl from the movie...... well ...... not so much a "girl" anymore. :lol )

Now, as usual, I have to own something from the movie. Well, a replica anyways. So, what's out there? Has anyone done the "blasters" or there little communicator thing? I know some folk were working on Robbie, did anyone finish one? How about the bottles of licker? That might be a found prop. What else is there?:)

Jason

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have long been searching for a blaster, myself. I have heard of one or two people making noises about them in the past, but so far nothing. (hint: if somebody wants to start up a new project, I can blueprint it... :love)

[​IMG]

Coyle has a page on the movie with a couple of prop photos.

http://www.racprops.com/issue4/visit_forbiddenplanet/

[​IMG]

The rifle is a great prop too but no replicas are available to my knowledge.

[​IMG]

As far as Robby is concerned, the "official" source is Fred Barton

http://www.the-robotman.com/

[​IMG]

...but that version has been idealized to a high extent... shapes are rounder, the legs are longer, the finish has been "candied" to a super reflective shine...

The original prop was considerably less spiffy. John Rigg of the Robot Hut in Washington has built several incredible Robbies including the entire JEEP...

[​IMG]

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/

Interesting aside: in the shot where Robby "samples" the Genuine Rocket Bourbon, his arm is RUBBER. Only for that one shot.

[​IMG]

The suit could not sit down, so for the shot where Robby is steering the C-57D, his legs are cardboard.

[​IMG]

3. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

WOW. Great info. That Blaster is awesome. I had know idea it was so fancy. I would really long to have one of those in my collection. The transparent part closest to the body of the gun, looks like a Christmas decoration my grandmother used to have, but I wouldn't even know where to star replication it, or the rest of the gun. It sure would be great if someone picked this up as a project. :)

Jason

4. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would add that I have seen the forcefield posts out there as well. I f you are interested in models, there is a 2+ foot Studio scale C57D out there I have seen with lit bottom. Also, there is a translucent Id monster out there (Monsters in Motion I think).

For what it 's worth, Fred Barton offers several Robby's for different price ranges and functionality. He is pretty approachable.

Who did the foam Robby a year or so ago (he and his wife/girlfriend won best costume somewhere as Altaira and Robby)? I would love to see pics posted on that again and maybe a brief tutorial :)

Doc

5. phase pistol

Yeah there's the Polar Lights styrene kit of the C-57D that came out a few years ago, I forgot about that...

[​IMG]

Excellent kit, getting harder to find and prices are going up. The kit has an interior too, very nice. The main complication tho is that the hull is in several big pie-piece sections, so you'll have big seams to contend with.

The blaster has got some very particular shapes to it. To me the main body looks like an old fashioned milk bottle like they used to deliver to you.

[​IMG]

The "clear christmas tree" part has been done in replicas with flame-polished machined acrylic that looks pretty good.

- k

6. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's my blaster after a little re-touchup. It has sounds too. It's very close to the real sounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, the same person who I got it off of here has kits available. As a matter of fact he was going to post a pic of all the kits laid out on the floor.

Now whether he decides to jump in and offer them is now up to him. :)

Lowell

7. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was just talking to this same person and suggested the same thing. :p

8. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I have the Coyle Blaster and Model of the C-57D.
    I also have several versions of Robby, from keychains to the 18 inch talking version.

Had a T shirt likie my avatar, but it wore out...

Full size Robby...someday :)

9. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Forbidden planet was on TCM this morning from 6-8AM. I watched most of it.....great flick.

Steve

10. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

Lunar Models also offers a kit of the blaster pistol and a 20" C-57D kit. I also remember a fellow in Florida who had a 48" C-57D replica that he tried to unsuccessfuly sell on ebay. It was described as having a lite fusion core and operating landing gear. Wanted $5000 for it at the time.

My stash of FP stuff includes a Lunar FP blaster, recasted Lunar FP blaster, a 20 in fiberglass C-57D from Comet miniatures, the PL C-57D kit, a Lunar Model C-57D kit, the 18 and 24 inch Robbies from Masudoya.

At last years Wonderfest, somebody was selling a full size Robbie kit for $3000. It was pretty rough but impressive to say the least.

11. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

My apartment is very small, and over flowing already, so as much as I would love to have a full size Robby, or a really big C-57D, they're both way out of my price range, and way to big for what space I have left. Are there any little C-57D's out there? What's the best little Robby? Also, whoever has those Blaster (kits, or finished) for sale, feel free to post. :)

Jason

12. phase pistol

The best SMALL Robby is the 8" tall Medicom figure that came out a few years ago. Every part is articulated just like the real Robby. When you turn his torso all the tiny valves and whatnot in his head move. He also lights up (blue lights to either side of his head, and the mouth tubes).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He even comes with a little blaster but as you can see it's not a very accurate one.

[​IMG]

This originally sold for $70 or so, but now I see them on ebay for $250. :confused

There's also a "variant" version that has the pincer hands from that last scene where he's flying the C-57D.

If you want a larger Robby, Masudaya sells several commonly available model kits (mostly assembled but they need small parts and paint).

[​IMG]

The largest of these is 24" tall (.), but there's also a 16" tall version and even a 4" tall windup.

The Masudaya is not terribly accurate and would need extensive modification if you want him to look like Robby.

Masudaya also makes a similarly "sort of vaguely accurate" B-9 from Lost In Space, in the 16" scale. They call him "YM-3" tho for some reason (the Robot was referred to as both B9 and M3 in the series). There's also a 4" windup toy as well.

[​IMG]

Not an accurate model but a significant TOY, is the battery-powered tin "Mechanized Robot" from Nomura in Japan, released in 1956. This one from my collection is a replica by Osaka Tin Toy Institute (the real toy sells for thousands of dollars; even these replicas cost hundreds.)

[​IMG]

There have been quite a few battery and windup tin Robby toys over the years... the most common of these (and the smallest) is the "Planet Robot" which you can get replicas of now for about $30.

Most recently, replicas of "Piston Action Robot" became available; this is commonly called "Pug Robby" by toy collectors because he's a bit stout. :D

[​IMG]

Here are more from my Robby toy collection...

[​IMG]

- k

13. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Wait... there is a person out there who has some nice blaster kits available???? :eek

I would be interested...

14. Krachenvogel

Krachenvogel Well-Known Member

15. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Krachenvogel @ Apr 28 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]1235152[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting, but what the heck is up with that front part? Isn't the Christmas tree part, and the tip, supposed to be translucent?

Jason

16. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jason1976 @ Apr 29 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]1235431[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting, but what the heck is up with that front part? Isn't the Christmas tree part, and the tip, supposed to be translucent?

Jason
    [/b][/quote]

It will be...

"In the basic kit, the 'emitter' will be done in clear resin, but there will be an option to have it done in turned acrylic, at additional cost. Lighting effects will be included in the kit."

Sounds good to me. :D

17. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Yeah, that's much more like it. :)

Thanks
    Jason

18. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

here are a few of my Robby pieces most are shown in this thread .lots of tin and vinyl props.
    the blaster has a photo strobe for a flash effect ,gives a nice retna burn.
    The 2 foot Robby I did a custom set of voice tubes that replaced the tacky plastic piece with blue light wire it makes the mouth piece look like neon tubing. :D
    the Ann Francis figure is the Jimmy Flintstone resin kit ,my paint job.
    I also have a 1-1 robby head that needs attention(someday)
    also I am working on the polar lights C-57D that is also lighted and will have functioning landing gear this is not yet ready for pictures.

19. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 27 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]1234630[/snapback]</div>
    Wowser, anyone here looking to sell the Medicom Robby? I'm interested? Anyplace other than eBay might have it?

Also, how does the Linar Models Robby stack up?

20. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Does any one know if the Robby in the new AT&T commercial is a replica, or the original?

Jason

21. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jason1976 @ May 5 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]1238816[/snapback]</div>
    Replica but I'm not sure who's. The original Robby due to age is no longer taken out for this type of use but the owner of Robby does have copies himself that are used for TV spot and shows.

Jim

22. eaviii

eaviii Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gojira61 @ May 5 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]1238851[/snapback]</div>
    Replica but I'm not sure who's. The original Robby due to age is no longer taken out for this type of use but the owner of Robby does have copies himself that are used for TV spot and shows.

Jim
    [/b][/quote]
    It is a Fred Barton replica- The newer version (Robby 2006) I think-

Doc

P.S. Anybody interested in taking on the rifle or forcefield posts?

23. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh, I know somebody who has the rifle, he just doesn't think there is interest.

24. Sporak

There is interest ;)

25. redshirt

Any news on the working Forbidden Planet Blaster from Atomic city?

Tom

26. Sporak

I'll second the inquiry...

27. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I got a Blastre kit from Monsters in Motion and it finished up nice. I would love to get prints or info for the Blaster Rifle. The space ship kit has gone thru the roof as far as price goes should have gotten one when issued.

28. Krel

Krel Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdawg1 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]1387746[/snapback]</div>
    If you are talking about the Polar Lights kit, then I have no Idea why it is so expensive. It is not very accurate, they got the hull wrong, the top dome wrong, the interior wrong, they even got the name wrong. It is C-57-D in the novel, and it is C-57-D in the script, infact until the PL kit I had never seen it writen as anything but C-57-D.

This kit was a very bitter pill for me as C-57-D is my favorite spaceship. The claim to have done research, but I don't see how, plus the kit was way oversized, I have no place that I could have displayed it. I couldn't hang it from the celing, it would have blocked the celing fan. :lol

The Lunar Models kit, although also being oversized, at least gets the hull, and dome right. A much more accurate representation of the saucer.

My dream is for some company, to someday do an injection molded C-57-D that is correct, and that cer an be modeled in either flight, or landed position. But I fear that the PL kit has ruined any chance of that. That is of course unless the Japanese take an interest in it.

David.

29. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(redshirt @ Dec 31 2006, 02:59 AM) [snapback]1387590[/snapback]</div>
    This was listed in the November updates over at Atomic City.

"Forbidden Planet Blaster: Forget it. The master turned out fine, but getting the clear emitter parts done proved to be impossibly expensive."

Jim

30. phase pistol

Wow too bad on the FP blaster from AC. :(

I recently acquired THIS nice piece, but had to send it back for repairs (loose wires)... now awaiting its return. :D

Too bad the emitter on this one is not flame polished. The christmas tree is machined but the very tip part is cast resin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Endcap's a tad oversized... :unsure

Another minor quibble would be that the fins don't have the curvy shape that at least one of the hero props had. But it may resemble a background prop, I'm not entirely sure.

- k

31. redshirt

Did this one come with electronics and where can I get one?

Tom

32. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

I didn't know this thread had picked back up again.

Man that is a beauty Phase Pistol.

Jason

33. phase pistol

A few weeks ago I sent this back to the maker for repairs (the lights weren't working), and when it was shipped back to me, it was "delivered" by the mailman by leaving it outside my apartment house. So of course the box was ripped open and the piece was STOLEN by the time I found the empty box down at the bottom of the stairs.

My rage is incalculable. :angry

- k

34. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Jan 18 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1399479[/snapback]</div>
    I'm so sorry to here that. :( I can sertanly feel your pain. I also live in an apartment, and that sort of stuff used to happen to me, so I started having all my packages sent to my parents house. (They just live a couple miles away.)

For Christmas my Mom rapped a 6 boxes, with rocks in them, and put them on her porch for decoration. Well some thugs stole 3 of them. :( Now I'm worried about having my stuff sent there too.

In the old days they didn't leave a package, unless it was in the hands of someone in side the dwelling.

What a world, what a world. :(

Jason

35. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry to hear that k.

Maybe you should have things sent to work or a Mailboxes Etc. because who knows now you know what I mean?

36. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Man Karl - that sucks so bad. You should keep an eye out on eBay for someone selling it. Maybe you'll get lucky and nab the * that stole it.

37. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Jan 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1399479[/snapback]</div>
    HOLY CARP. Can't blame you, man :thumbsdown

38. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Jan 17 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]1399479[/snapback]</div>
    That sucks.

I moved my graphic design business home about 6 months ago and let my mailman know that I'm home and to give a little knock on the door if I have a box and I'll still go out to get the mail and find a box just sitting in the rain by my front door. :angry

Wouldn't it be fun to get your hands on an exploding die pack like banks use for money and pack that in a box and leave it outside your door like it's just been delivered?

Jim

39. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

I would love to build one can you get some specs on it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eyes Only @ May 5 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1239070[/snapback]</div>

40. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

CRAP. CRAP.. CRAP...

I sorry to hear about the loss Karl...

I know the feeling. You're so * and there's no one to choke. :angry

Many years ago my apartment was robbed and I stood in the doorway sputtering I was so *. Of course the cops can't do anything but they could at least act like they cared. :p

41. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet Sr Member

Same here Karl, what a bummer I hope you did file a Police Report, more than likely a waste of time, but you never know......This has me rethinking my package delivery options also, even though I truly believe we live in a nice safe neighborhood, my carrier also simply leaves mine by the Garage Door most times rather than walking a few extra steps to the front porch so I could easily become a victim myself... :angry

42. starfighter66

starfighter66 Well-Known Member

The Colt Vickers laser rifle looks like a simple enough prop to make, the main body can be made from PVC piping with the side slots (27 at approx1/16in apart) cut using a table saw with room for batteries and electronics handle probably cut plywood, the top piece below the crystal looks like a part from a sink drain , the rest can probably be found at the hardware store, might make an interesting prop to build and for probably under $50:love
    [​IMG]

43. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(starfighter66 @ Jan 18 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]1399923[/snapback]</div>
    DUDE. (Starfighter66) I know this is a little off topic but what's up with swiping Gojira's avatar?

Tater smokin' Godzilla is Jim's. That's just wrong takin' a man's avatar like that.

just sayin' :rolleyes

44. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

What the hell. :angry

IÂ’ve been using my Godzilla avatar that I customized with animation since 2000.

That's just not right. :thumbsdown

Jim

45. starfighter66

starfighter66 Well-Known Member

:eek easy enough fix - taken care of. got it a about a year ago on a site that had animated gifs/avatars, dont remember your name on it so i will take you at your word that it is your creation. and yes this is off topic and not related to the forbidden planet thread, next time you have a problem it is better to PM and ask nicely and not use a prop thread for a beef , shows bad form and manners.

now to the ACTUAL subject does anyone have ideas on how to light up the colt vickers rifle?

46. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(starfighter66 @ Jan 19 2007, 01:37 AM) [snapback]1400280[/snapback]</div>
    EL sheet behind the slits would work. (Might be a little pricey though)

They make those flashlights with florescent bulbs in them, maybe you could mod one out to take a larger/longer bulb. Though you wouldn't want to bang it around much, you could have quite the mess.

Actually there are a lot of ways to go depending on your budget, and amount of work you want to do, and how good you want it to look when your done.

Jason