For Forum Safety, an idea.

Reaper57

Well-Known Member
ok guy,
i have thought this out some but i know it will need some tuning.
After the Raz incident i have come up with a request.
i have been here over 6 yrs and have spent a large amount of money with other members and i am happy to say i have always come out happy and satisfied, but as of latlely it seems this may have been lucky.
also i have started projects and had member wish to buy, such as a Freddy glove, and then i have wondered the age of the member i am selling to.
what i propose is a verified member list .
to get on this list { which is ones choice depending on why they are here} you must give to the Mods a picture ID and a telephone number, this will be verified by the Mods, and not open info to all.
if a problem arises and to the Mods descretion this info will be given out to the appropiat parties.
this needs some work i know but i think the genearal idea will benifit all.
it will be good to know the member you are dealing with is not a minor and that he has a physical address on file.

john :cool
 

Jedirick

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interesting suggestion.

Wonder what logistics it would involve? It would have to be voluntary and i do not think the admin would want to store that information, just verify and dump. Probably have to have some type of disclaimer or two, three privacy waivers, four calling birds, five golden rings...

Maybe that would be a good way to use the RPF title thingy space below board names?

A bold Verified underneath your name?
 

Reaper57

Well-Known Member
Right,

ppal does it.
it would mostly be self protection. if your not selling or offering a service then you need not verify.
with the net now verifying a phone number and address is no problem.
all we ned is a verified trustworthy Mod staff, and the ones we already have are well known by different people.

john :cool
 

Jack Bauer

Well-Known Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interesting idea. I say that because i personaly have nothing to hide and would have no problem with it. Paypal is a paid organization though and do it for the saftey of themselves. This is afterall just a forum. I think hightened security probably won't work.

I am riding the fence on this being a good and bad idea.
 

Trallis

Well-Known Member
it might give people a misconception that the mods are saying this person is ok to sell or buy from. people might get a false impression that the mods are responsible if something goes wrong with someone they said was ok. also some people who dont want to volunteer that info may feel discriminated against or be discriminated against.

Just speculation.. system looks like it would work well but its gotta be implemented carefully. This thread will probably turn up alot of input that will help come up with some sort of rules on how this can be done
 

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
What if they have offenses that can be verified? A list of offenses would need to be drawn up to make a decision. Some would obviously be a no brainer but where would it end?

There is a recent new member here that makes this come to mind(no I'm not going to say who or why).
 

stormtrooperguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
my initial reaction to that is that this is a good idea.

make it a voluntary program, and add a "verified by RPF" type logo to the profile somewhere for that user.

that way sellers can have the increased confidence that the buyer is at least trustworthy enough to have provided contact info to the board moderators.

then a seller could choose to post an item for sale to verified members only.
 

Reaper57

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by TheSt.LouisKid@Apr 3 2006, 01:40 AM
What if they have offenses that can be verified? A list of offenses would need to be drawn up to make a decision. Some would obviously be a no brainer but where would it end?

There is a recent new member here that makes this come to mind(no I'm not going to say who or why).
[snapback]1218615[/snapback]​

we cant get to Gestapo with it though.

we are not here to enforce the law or check a members background.

just to give the members doing buisness with them the confort of knowing they are a real person and have a physical address where they can be reached.
there for they can be held accountable not just an anonymouse user name.
i know the idea needs some work but as JB said i have nothing to hide , and would not feel it to big a price to feel safer in this forum.

john :cool
 

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not sure I'm grasping the problem that this would address.

You're concerned about SELLING to minors? That you might get in trouble for selling a prop to them? Or be suspected as a pedofile for being in contact with them?

I can't think of many props sold here that would be inappropriate for a minor. We don't allow naughty stuff here anyway, and resin weapons are no more dangerous or illegal than stuff on the Toys-R-Us shelves. If a seller would prefer his item not go to a minor, he can always take steps to verify on his own.

If you're shipping them something, then you'll have their address anyway, so I don't understand what a verification would accomplish.

Just seems like a lot of bureacracy for little gain.

Tell me what I'm missing.
 

Reaper57

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by Treadwell@Apr 3 2006, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure I'm grasping the problem that this would address.

You're concerned about SELLING to minors? That you might get in trouble for selling a prop to them? Or be suspected as a pedofile for being in contact with them?

I can't think of many props sold here that would be inappropriate for a minor. We don't allow naughty stuff here anyway, and resin weapons are no more dangerous or illegal than stuff on the Toys-R-Us shelves. If a seller would prefer his item not go to a minor, he can always take steps to verify on his own.

If you're shipping them something, then you'll have their address anyway, so I don't understand what a verification would accomplish.

Just seems like a lot of bureacracy for little gain.

Tell me what I'm missing.
[snapback]1218634[/snapback]​

no please i dont mean that.

the minors part is only from when i was making a few SHARP freddy gloves and a few who wanted them i found out were minors.
i personally felt i could not do this.
i have no problem with younger members here. i welcome them.
i just would not want to be accused of selling a 12 yr old a working phaser. :lol

it would just be to be more secure in knowing who you were entering into a project with or send your money too.
or taking in to your confidence.

john :cool
 

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think giving your ID to someone online is a little different than flashing it at the liquor store or the bar. With the liquor store, they determine identity without recording or storing the information.

People in positions of authority are no different than anyone else. They have the propensity for good and evil. Sometimes they make mistakes or flat out abuse their power.

We all know there are people that endlessly record information for later use. Forgive me for getting political, but I don't believe the whole give up liberty for security issue.

Besides any system we could enact wouldn't be fool proof. There is always going to be a way to cheat the system for the determined individual. Look at the recent incident for verification.

Does that mean there is nothing we can do? Absolutely not. It just means we have to be careful to consider the issue from all sides.
 

Trallis

Well-Known Member
yah.. our young forum members arent really problematic are they? I thought this was meant generally to help keep track of members who are safe to sell too... is it supposed to be ONLY for avoiding sales to minors?

EDIT: question already answered by the time i posted that
 

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Could there not be legal ramifications involved? If someones personal information was abused in any way as a result of "verification" the forum and/or it's staff could be in serious trouble I'd bet.

Not to mention that I think it's being a tad paranoid to be wanting something like this. We all know there are risks involved in this hobby, if we start treating eachother as if we are all out to con eachother then we won't have a community anymore...A verification process could very well serve to promote distrust among non-verified and verified members just because they don't want to subject themselves to being "approved" by the powers that be.

I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy more than being on a prop forum. I am not trying to be rude or ruffle any feathers, but I think talk like this is not what we need. We can't let the actions of one member affect how we live our lives or we're giving those actions more power than they deserve.
 

allosaur176

Sr Member
Originally posted by Treadwell@Apr 2 2006, 09:55 PM

I can't think of many props sold here that would be inappropriate for a minor. We don't allow naughty stuff here anyway, and resin weapons are no more dangerous or illegal than stuff on the Toys-R-Us shelves. If a seller would prefer his item not go to a minor, he can always take steps to verify on his own.

[snapback]1218634[/snapback]​

Well, on may occasions, I have seen knives and swords for sale in the JY.. I know most are just "replicas" and such, but they are weapons, and sold to the wrong under aged person might stir up some trouble.. I'm not saying it would happen, just some food for thought
 

Reaper57

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Apr 3 2006, 02:23 AM
Could there not be legal ramifications involved? If someones personal information was abused in any way as a result of "verification" the forum and/or it's staff could be in serious trouble I'd bet.

Not to mention that I think it's being a tad paranoid to be wanting something like this. We all know there are risks involved in this hobby, if we start treating eachother as if we are all out to con eachother then we won't have a community anymore...A verification process could very well serve to promote distrust among non-verified and verified members just because they don't want to subject themselves to being "approved" by the powers that be.

I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy more than being on a prop forum. I am not trying to be rude or ruffle any feathers, but I think talk like this is not what we need. We can't let the actions of one member affect how we live our lives or we're giving those actions more power than they deserve.
[snapback]1218669[/snapback]​

i am not saying make it mandatory.

it would be voluntary only.

the legalities should be void.

this is just an idea that needs to be refined .

lets all just add ideas and see if anything helpful will occure. :)

it seems MORE liability would arise from not monitoring who buys what in the JY

I am sure the legal members here could let us know on this part.

i am more interested in knowing a member will not turn out to be who he says and money or loaned property disappear. :$
s
perhaps a Mod should chime in.


john :cool.
 

Trallis

Well-Known Member
im thinking that should be between the buyer and seller. lets not convert this forum to revolving around doing business so much that a member can be labeled based on their worthiness in that aspect. i can think of lots of reasons a person might not want to be verified, and others wouldnt be able to help but wonder why...

personally i think we a re all a bunch of trustworthy guys and girls.. at least until proven otherwise
 

exoray

Master Member
the legalities should be void.
Liability is almost never void... Disclaimer or not...

Scenerio one

Dispute over item sold in JY, Mod hands over personal info, member shows up (or even harrases by phone) at other members door and........

Scenerio two

Who holds the database of information? What if that persons computer is stolen or hacked and there personal information is used?

The examples could go on and on forever...

But, in the end HUGE Liability issues will bite you in the $%@#$%

it seems MORE liability would arise from not monitoring who buys what in the JY
That is your own liablity and your own choice to sell to who you choose and to verify as needed...
 

dr_slurpee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yes, the forum has been going along fine for how long without such "verification" in place? Let's not let the actions of the few become the rules by which we trust or distrust everyone with.

No matter what form of verification you put in place it won't eliminate the potential for someone to come along and screw people over...the person being who they say they are doesn't mean they are not a jerk or a con artist.

I still think that the fact that some (probably a lot) people would not want to risk their personal information (whatever it might be) or they just want to keep their privacy except among those they want to trust it to would mean people would be leery or untrusting toward if they wanted to sell a prop or even buy a prop. All of a sudden people will feel pressure to become verified rather than it be voluntary, they won't want to be looked at as a potential "bad person".
 
Top