Foam WALL-E. Who knew talking to the wife would pay off!! lol..

Re: Foam WALL-E. Working on tracks.

Your creativity never fails to inspire.

Have you thought about putting together a book? Cut patterns, step-by-step instructions, in-progress and project completion photos, etc.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I do have a website that has a gallery and some of my builds from start to finish. Once Wall-e is done I will be spending a lot more time on my website, updating and stuff like that. I will be putting some links to videos on how to do stuff. And Might have a download section for some of the templates I have made.

Ok so I just spent about half an hour outside making the frames for the feet. I couldn't wait to see what the tracks would look like so here are some photos of What i have so far.
dscf7098d.jpg

dscf7097m.jpg

dscf7095h.jpg

dscf7099o.jpg

dscf7101.jpg

Dude,.. you put these together so fast.

I've been looking at XRobots posts about How To Platic Coat Foam. Are you going to do anything like that? I think I'm going to do it on my R2.

I normaly use plastidip to coat my stuff. I didn't with R2 though. but wall-e I may I am not too sure. He is supose to look rough an damaged so i am not to bothered about having him with a nice even coat. Plus he will not be outside or moved around a lot.

Ok so here is what I am doing for the wheels in the tracks.
I need to make these strong and sturdy. However with foam I will not be able to make the tracks go round. But I really wanted to make Wall-e portable in case he does a school visit. So I am going to put wheels underneath the tracks at a level that it will look like wall-e is rolling but the tracks will be just an inch off the ground.
Here is what I have so far.
I glued the wood structure onto some foam.
dscf7102l.jpg

Here you can see some gaps in the edges of the wheels, this is where the long foam linking the track pieces will go.
dscf7103a.jpg

My son is holding the pieces in place for me as I take the photo. You can see what I was saying bout the long foam pieces going into the gaps on the wheels.
dscf7104e.jpg

Now I am adding detail to the wheels. I will adding hydrolics and stuff to make it look more real.
dscf7106j.jpg

Ok what a day today has been. So much work done today.
First I covered the neck.
dscf7107n.jpg

Then I moved on to the wheel section of the tracks.
dscf7108y.jpg

dscf7109l.jpg

I also glued the back on.
dscf7111.jpg

dscf7112e.jpg

Then went back to doing more with the tracks.
dscf7113w.jpg

Here is a close up of the neck. I know it is not movei accurate but still looks good.
dscf7114k.jpg

Here is the wheel and track assmebly, the tracks are only laid on as I will be painting everything then fixing the tracks on right at the end.
dscf7117m.jpg

I also started work on fixinf the eyes. And I finished the wrists.
dscf7118a.jpg

dscf7119x.jpg

Re: Foam WALL-E. Build almost finished!!!!..

Wow, really awesome, seems like there's nothing you can't do with foam. Love seeing how you overcome all the little details can't wait to see him painted.

wow he looks amazing! Excellent work can't wait to see him finished.

Will you be making a small foam cockroach his little friend from the movie ?

I show this to my daughter and boy!!! if she is bothering me to make her one!!!

Amazing what even just one quick coat of paint can do.
\I love the fact that with wall-e I don't have to do a perfect paint job.
dscf7121.jpg

What a great build! There is so much personality in the eyes - you really nailed it! :)

My god you're a genius. Once I'm done with my daft punk helmets, I was thinking of building a WALL-E. I was going to do it with insulation foam, bondo, casting parts, etc. but after seeing your project, I'm considering doing it this way.

Amazing what even just one quick coat of paint can do.
\I love the fact that with wall-e I don't have to do a perfect paint job.

Every little bit helps and it's nice to cut a lucky break when it comes to painting!

Very cool - and BIG!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back