Foam WALL-E. Who knew talking to the wife would pay off!! lol..

familyman

Sr Member
Well, now that my foam R2 is finished I figured it was about time to get working on my next project. If R2 is my favorite movie robot of all time (Which he is) Then Wall-e has to be second. I can not say enough about the Wall-e movie and as for Wall-e himself well,,, he is just awesome!.
Ok so here we go..
First I am starting with the eyes, I figured this was the best place to start. I made templates with help from pictures and some diagrams which came from the wall-e buiulders site.
dscf5578s.jpg

dscf5579e.jpg

dscf5581m.jpg

dscf5580h.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Foam WALL-E.

Next I did some work on the inner eyes. I had some speakers that I kept for parts and decided to take them apart to see what was inside apart from the obvious. I found some cool pieces that I rearranged and made the center eye with. Then I need to make the rest of the inner so I used some apple sauce cups containers and painted the black. For the lenses I uses the lenses out of two magnifying glasses I brough from the local bargain store for $3 each. They are almost the perfect size. I will need to make a small frame for them. The magnifying glasses also had cool LED lights in them, I will keep those for some other project.
DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

DSCF5587.jpg

DSCF5589.jpg

DSCF5592.jpg

DSCF5596.jpg

DSCF5597.jpg

DSCF5599.jpg

DSCF5610.jpg

DSCF5612.jpg

DSCF5619.jpg

Thanks man,
Next comes the body for now. I got a basic size from the wall-e builders yahoo club. Made some templates and built the main body. I have learnt a lot from my foam R2 build especialy with regards to how much a foam body can suport. So before I go any further I built a wooden skeletal stucture. That will allow me to build the tracks and not have the weight of the body sag like the legs started to on R2.
wall-eskeleton.jpg

Then just for fun I decided to tape the eyes on the top just for a quick photo shoot. Next I will do more work on the neck it is too thin I am going to cover it with foam and add detail, and maybe do some work on the arms.
DSCF7013.jpg

DSCF7012.jpg

DSCF7014.jpg

DSCF7021.jpg

DSCF7023.jpg

Last edited:

Just lovin it and hat's off to your wife as well for letting you do this in your kitchen LOL...

If you ever read my thread on how to mould foam for shoulder bells you will surely remember rule number 1!. "Make sure the wife is out of the house" lol. She was at work, but yeah joking aside she is awesome.

Ok so, been working on the arms this past week. Here is what i ahve so far, they look a little big but they are to scale. I think once finished and painted up they will be fine.
I made the arms out of duct and foam.
DSCF7033.jpg

DSCF7034.jpg

DSCF7035.jpg

DSCF7036.jpg

DSCF7039.jpg

Been trying to figure out how to do wall-es eyebrows.
2-2.jpg

I mean sure I can make them from foam, but I can not get the foam to keep the same. If I heat the foam and bend it then cool it it will be ok but any form of heat and they will just revert back to their normal shape.
DSCF7042.jpg

So I guess I could use some other material, but I do like foam!.
So here is how I got around it.
I used the thin craft foam. Got some strips of bendable wire. This wire came from some fake flowers it was the stems. I got the hot glue nice and hot so it was spreadable, I put some hot glue on the foam, then spread it around. I then layed the wire on and layed another piece of foam on top. I pushed down to make sure the two pieces of foam glued well. Once dry.... You now have bendable/twistable foam that will keep its shape until you change it.
DSCF7045.jpg

DSCF7046.jpg

DSCF7047.jpg

DSCF7053.jpg

DSCF7055.jpg

DSCF7056.jpg

I used the thin craft foam. Got some strips of bendable wire. This wire came from some fake flowers it was the stems. I got the hot glue nice and hot so it was spreadable, I put some hot glue on the foam, then spread it around. I then layed the wire on and layed another piece of foam on top. I pushed down to make sure the two pieces of foam glued well. Once dry.... You now have bendable/twistable foam that will keep its shape until you change it.

GREAT solution! This is looking SOOO cool! :):thumbsup

I always underestimate just how big WALL-E is. For whatever reason, watching the film, he tends to look small, but he's really about four feet high, I think.

I always underestimate just how big WALL-E is. For whatever reason, watching the film, he tends to look small, but he's really about four feet high, I think.

Oh man, tell me about it. I often think of wall-e as a small robot, but them when you think you about it and think about all the scenes where you can compare him to stuff. For example when he puts the bra over his eyes. or when he is holding the rubiks cube, then you start to realise just how big he truely is. Not sure where I am going to put him when he is done.

Great looking build. I concur with the size issue. I just picked up one of the cinema standees (for $50!) and its friggin HUGE!. I ended up putting him in my home theatre - He just fits in without obscuring the screen.

Really enjoying the build - subscribed for updates! :thumbsup

Nice work Jamie.

I loved the R2 project and this looks like it will be a great build as well.

Off topic question...did you ever finish the foam K-9 build ?

Last edited:

I absolutly love Wall-E and this project is just great!If i had the skills to do one too i would do it in a heartbeat.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back