foam latex?

hellonearth

pardon my ignorance, but is there some reason why foam latex isn't more widely used, does it rot or something?? been thinking of starting a skin sculpt, and i've realized over some time that the reason the suits fit so well in the movies is because they are made out of foam latex, really form fitting, 10 times as stretchable, and the potential to breath due to it's porous nature, and it's lack of rigidity makes it not buckle and bind up so much. anyhow i just figured their had to be some major reason why none of you seem to use it and i would like to know what it is, cause i can't find any reasons over the net, but i figured at least one of you would know,

thanks in advance, and i hope this is in the right spot

In my opinion, it's because foam latex is harder to use (you need the negative AND the positive moulds) and much more expensive. I don't know if there is any other reason

Foam latex requires an oven for baking it, and because it gives off some fairly nasty fumes, you need a dedicated oven just for it. You can't just pop it in your kitchen oven. If you were to do something the size of a skin, you would also need a pretty large oven. It's also known as hot foam (as opposed to the cold foam used for dreads) because of the need for baking.

It also degrades very fast, when used for prosthetics it is pretty much a single use then throw away product.

well that sucks, so im guessing cold cannot be used for the subject inquired? i understand about the positive and negative molds, apparently this stuff kinda expands yes? well, oh well, so even the foam latex at say Burman industries, that claim it's not toxic (im pretty sure) but you say it is? i guess? right? or you're just saying you don't want all your food to taste like the **** whether it's toxic or not? i've read tutorials on the web that say it's all about how you mix it as far as durability, but i would trust you guys over those guys, it's just that i have a Halloween mask that is made of foam latex, had it for many years and still doesn't show any signs of giving anywhere, and is pretty firm but 10 times stretchier than my latex pred mask. i don't know, that's too bad, cause from what i can tell it would be ideal if not for it's downfalls... thanks for the replies guys!

I have to admit I've never used it, mainly because of the baking reason. My knowledge of it is all based on research from making dreads. As far as I know, the oils and sweat from your skin are really what causes it to break down fast. As an example, all the Hobbit feet in LOTR were foam latex, and were worn once and thrown away. This may also be because of the glues used to fix them to the actors feet.

What I've read said that it gives off fumes while baking, but it could just be as simple as it giving a really nasty flavor to all your food. You might be right about the durability coming from the mix you use, certainly the cold foam varies depending on your mix ratio.

I'm sure it would be a great material if anyone was set up to handle it, but it would be a heck of an investment for someone to just see if it worked out ok.

Yeah, this foamed latex is a great material. I'm dreaming about using it someday.
I got a friend who has a car sized oven that bakes at 400 degress + for baking car paints. He said I could use it.

If only I could find some foamed latex supplier.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back