Foam/latex Predator Mask (My First)

MandoMan531

Hey guys/gals, first time posting any of my work.... just got back into some projects and decided to have a shot at a foam sculpt, then if I'm satisfied with it I'll skin it in latex. I've been using the instructable by marshon and trying to incorporate r1s2a3's mouth design. I'm trying to work out a better mouth design to place the upper teeth higher and closer on the face. The upper teeth do sit a bit higher than in the pics once you have the mask on. The teeth were just placeholder made from clay to get a visual.Let me know what you guys think.

ac2a0034.jpg

9044a303.jpg

dd5a83e1.jpg

1e4c40e9.jpg

fc22f558.jpg

It's looks like somekind of crazy dinosaur with that mouth -_-

That's looks amazing dude. Will you be wearing it as I just got a mask but noticed I couldn't see too well so had to make my eye holes a bit bigger. In your photos they look quite small but as long as you can see well.

Thanks, and yea I'll be wearing it. The eyes are very close fitting, i trim them out little by little everytime i add something new to the mask. Planning to make custom bio for it, provided this mask turns out well of course.

Just a small update showing where I am currently.
Added the chin and cheeks, and softened some of the hard edges around the eyes. Also added a back piece to start closing in the back of the head. Ended up getting a decent contour to the back of the head as you can see in the second picture.

b1641f26.jpg

1b1b1f42.jpg

So far so good! It was looking a little "Tom Servo-ish", but now it really looks impressive. I really anticipate seeing this completed!

-Alan

Thanks! And yea I agree it looked really funny at first, reminded me of something but I can't put my finger on it. I'm really having a hard time with the mouth and mechanism. Using a hairclip like r1a2s3 places the mouth excellently when it's open but when it's closed the upper "lip" is too low on the face.

Did a different mouth, gonna try to build a movement system around this mouth rather than build a mouth around the hairclip. Also started the mandibles. Let me know what you guys think.

7e9e5e6b.jpg

EDIT: quick addition to this. Used some wire I had laying around to play with the shape of the mandibles. For the upper mandibles, I'm thinking about trimming out the cheekbone where the upper mandible meets it and fitting the upper mandibles a bit higher.

360caa1d.jpg

EDIT 2: ok so I lied. Last update for the night lol.
Made up some quick teeth with Sculpey and used some masking tape to simulate the skin between the mandibles. I must say I'm happy with the result.

be84e8c6.jpg

8e73e001.jpg

Cut out the upper cheekpieces and Raised the upper mandibles a bit and tacked them in place with hot glue.

f627200c.jpg

Then I redid the masking tape to check the shape, looks pretty close to me. Also added some more to the back and started shaping the crest "horns" and upper part of the Skull.

cd4153d0.jpg

Still having trouble with the mouth, but once I get that figured out I'll almost be ready to latex it all.
21c011ef.jpg

Got frustrated working on the mouth so I did a bit of shading with the black latex I got. I figured since thIn latex dries relatively clear this might show through and give a cool effect.

89f1ad30.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back