Foam crafting smoothing question

BoosterGoldstar

Hi everyone. I recently read about how you can use packing tape over your foam piece before plastidiping it in order to deal with seams in the assembly process. Has anyone tried this? If so, has it worked? Some people had mentioned that the tape might break down over time and delaminate.

I was thinking of trying with some tuck tape. It might be sturdier then tradition packing tape.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/red...60-millimetres-wide-and-50-metres-long/951143

I'd probably go for using a sandable filler to get in all the seams, and then sand down until you have a perfectly smooth surface and then plastidip. But that tape might work if you don't have complex curves you need to fill. Like if it's a flat surface or just a curve one way. It might help to spray sprayglue on the surface before taping it, but I don't know. If you try, please post your results so that we can all learn from your mistakes :D or your trials at least.

Golden Modeling Paste, its a pretty decent filler and its pretty easy to sand it doesn't ball up it you use a fine grade sand paper. I've been using it for my ODST foam armor build and its has worked wonders and it doesn't harden like bondo so you don't have to worry about cracking since its consistent with foam you can buy a jar from Michael's Craft store. Also very interested in knowing if that tape technique works. Give us an update when you have a go at it, Good luck! ;)

I have already started using dap qwik seal to fill gaps on my winter soldier arm and mask, so I will continue on with my plan, but I will consider that golden modeling paste on future projects. I am working on a Batman Mask for one friend and then a Wolverine for another after that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back