Foam Armor, Chest Plates, and Boobs

Stretch2643

If putting "boobs" in this thread title didn't get your attention then I don't know what else will...

So now that I'm finished with Black Widow I'm looking forward to my next costume and I'm giving some strong consideration to doing a light tactical, Nolan-esque Stephanie Brown Batgirl. I've spent the better part of the weekend combing through the archives here to try and better understand the foam building process. However none of the tutorials and builds that I've found address how to manufacture a chest plate for the ladies. I've seen a couple of the Rescue build threads, but the Iron Man armor seems to be a much different process then the standard batsuit. So, does anyone have an helpful information about modifying an existing bat tutorial for the female anatomy, or can anyone share some experience?

Thanks!

The only time I've ever done a foam breastplate for a woman was on the N7 armor I did for my wife. I followed the steps outlined over here: Mass Effect N7 Armor Build! | Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

I used hemispherical cake pans that I found on Amazon to do this and then cut out the form for the press. This produced really good results for me. To get the foam hot enough to form a breastplate and get it evenly heated, you'll probably want to use the oven rather than a heat gun. Though I'll go ahead and warn you that you'll probably set off your smoke detectors by heating up foam in the oven, which is kind of a pain.

The only time I've ever done a foam breastplate for a woman was on the N7 armor I did for my wife. I followed the steps outlined over here: Mass Effect N7 Armor Build! | Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

I used hemispherical cake pans that I found on Amazon to do this and then cut out the form for the press. This produced really good results for me. To get the foam hot enough to form a breastplate and get it evenly heated, you'll probably want to use the oven rather than a heat gun. Though I'll go ahead and warn you that you'll probably set off your smoke detectors by heating up foam in the oven, which is kind of a pain.

Thanks, this is actually really helpful, though it does present some logistical problems (apartment living and therefore a lack of most major tools, being the primary one). When you did your shaping how vital was having the lower press? Do you think the lower bust shaping would be possible just using some basic curved sewing tools pressed into the edges?

How did your wife's costume come out, by the way?

I've done a EVA foam breastplate for Mass Effect armour as well, it was a major PITA and took two attempts to get it done and I'm not 100% happy with it. But I did do it in a small apartment, on my kitchen floor to be precise and only used a heat gun.

I first tried to shape it using a board with 2 polystyrene half sphere's glued to it as the former, but I wanted a more wrap around piece so in the end I used a slightly modified half torso mannequin as mould.

I think the lower press is very important if you want clearly defined breast cups instead of just bumps , I carved bits of balsa wood to make a lower press, but really should of used something more substantial.

One tip, get a friend to help, I did mine by my self and found myself wishing I had at least one another pair of hands to push down the foam several times.

I think if I redid mine I would refine my mannequin mould, then cast it in plaster to make a negative side and then sandwich hot foam between the original and the plaster.

I did my Femshep chest piece using a similar technique to the one posted above, but in a tiny apartment using simple materials. The template was a stryofoam ball cut in half, glued to a piece of heavy cardboard. The lower press was also corrugated cardboard salvaged from a sturdy box, and I glued two pieces together to make it stronger. It held up surprisingly well during pressing. The heating was done in my oven and using a heat gun.

I second Laika's suggestion of having an assistant, I got my boyfriend to push down the lower press while I used the heat gun to help form the rest of it.

I did this while living in an apartment like the others. So it is doable, just a pain. If you want to have a clear cup shape, you need to use the lower press. I made a lower press by cutting the shape I wanted out of heavy duty cardboard and gluing a couple of layers of it together.

And I never quite finished with my wife's costume. She wasn't happy with how some of it came out and then I wasn't happy with how the paint was coming out. At some point I might go back and finish it, but it's definitely on the back burner for the time being. Anyway, here's a progress picture I took after shaping the chest but before I finished cutting it down to its final shape.
2012-07-28234531_zpsdc211e38.jpg

What temperature are you guys using when putting it in the oven? I put it in the broiler and it completely melted in like 30 seconds to a minute.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back