foam and plasti-dip problems

takaaaa

Greetings,
So this has been a hit or miss problem when i use Plasti-dip to seal my foam before primer. Sometimes it comes out really nice and smooth and other times it for some reason come out very bumpy like a 100 grit sand paper feel. I make sure my foam is dust free; shake the can very well; used brand new cans.
Any one else have this problem and anyone know what causes this? I have photos on my DSLR of macro shots but forgot my card reader at work, so I can upload tomw, if needed.

I prefer plasti-dip over white glue+water, so I would prefer to know how to solve this problem, rather than use a different sealer.

Thanks

I'd suggest using both. The PVA glue seals it, and the Plastidip provides that sort of primer coating. It works well. A couple of layers of glue, then a couple of layers of Plastidip.

are you using a heat gun or anything to seal the pores first? I've done that for most of my foam stuff and it seems to help the plastidip absorb into the foam less.

I'd suggest using both. The PVA glue seals it, and the Plastidip provides that sort of primer coating. It works well. A couple of layers of glue, then a couple of layers of Plastidip.

I use to do that but still got bumpy finish sometimes, I stopped using PVA first because I'm lazy. haha but I may have found a reason why Its happening.

are you using a heat gun or anything to seal the pores first? I've done that for most of my foam stuff and it seems to help the plastidip absorb into the foam less.

Yes, I tend to heat gun it before sealing. But I believe the reason is because i have a bad can that has some dried in the nozzle or Im spraying to far away. But I read from many people that if I do get that bumpy finish, that smoothing it out with paint thinner and re-coating will get rid of it. fingers crossed

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back