Flux Capacitor Redux

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As quarantine has dragged on I've been revisiting a few props I build years ago. One of those is the Flux Capacitor I made about 7 years ago. I build it off the best info I had at the time. But there are things I want to improved.

Pics here are the current state. A fine flux, but a few things to redo:
  1. The color: I used a gray that is too dark
  2. The Torr Relays:
    1. Upon inspection I'm about 1/8" too small in diameter and 1/4" too short.
    2. Also, I really want these to be real brass!
    3. I'll be rebuilding the glass relay tubes out of acrylic tubes and spheres.
  3. The Elbow Connectors: I used 2 simple plumbing elbows originally. I want to create the set of three connectors that are commonly shown. I'll be modelling the two obscure elbows in 3D and printing them on my resin printer.
  4. Latches: My box came without latches. The door is held on with velcro, which is fine. But I'd like to get my hands on two latches.
Here we go.

IMG_0202.jpg
fc6.jpg
fc2.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg
IMG_02003.jpg

I've been working on the Torr relays. Again, my goal is correct size and BRASS. To do this I created a solid puck of resin the size of the body of the relay. I'm covering this with brass sheet. Really thin stuff around the side (securing in the back with the bracket. And a thicker round piece for the top. I'm also making all the brackets out the thicker brass sheet.
IMG_5011.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5016.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg

I spent the night modeling the two "CANNON" elbows used on the top and bottom of the Flux. I'm not an expert, but I believe these were some sort of vintage computer connector? I'm ballparking these based on limited imagery I can find. But they are way closer than what I had. The big fat top elbow is a modified PVC elbow. Close enough for me.
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.42.11 AM.png
IMG_5017.jpeg
IMG_5019.jpeg
IMG_5022.jpeg
IMG_5020.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpeg
    IMG_5018.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
The acrylic glass tubes are finished. I’m now waiting for a couple details to finish the capacitors. The new accurate size is more different. Than I thought when you lay everything out. Looks like I need a new backboard as well. I got a deal on a damaged Stahlin enclosure on eBay. I’ll be stealing the hinge and latches off it to add to mine.
B7CB70AD-552A-4DBF-B13F-B7119BE4BEEC.jpeg
F0B3CFEB-F6C9-4467-AC4A-1754B084B88F.jpeg
B24C469C-85C9-4733-962F-22A33ABD67C9.jpeg

I bought a damaged Stahlin enclosure on eBay. I was able to transfer the hinges and latched to my Box. FINALLY feels right.

The inside bits are coming along. I'm waiting a a couple details (flux labels, paint the acrylic block sides gold, etc.

I also made up a little data plate for the bottom. Something to commemorate the build.
IMG_5046.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg
IMG_5048.jpeg
IMG_5051.jpeg
IMG_5050.jpeg
IMG_5049.jpeg

Your craftsmanship is amazing. I’m constantly impressed with each of your builds and the dedication to making them better (and not just another carbon copy).

The acrylic glass tubes are finished. I’m now waiting for a couple details to finish the capacitors. The new accurate size is more different. Than I thought when you lay everything out. Looks like I need a new backboard as well. I got a deal on a damaged Stahlin enclosure on eBay. I’ll be stealing the hinge and latches off it to add to mine. View attachment 1413766View attachment 1413767View attachment 1413768
Do you have a printable template for the back board?

Any chance you are parting with the connector files somewhere? That’s one addition I have never attempted on my capacitor.
Sure. Here's the STL's of the curved connectors I made. I believe I scaled them down a bit when I printed them. Maybe 80%.

Attachments

• FluxElbows.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 409
Interesting. Slightly different from these (which I know are a casting) ... Seems like there are severals versions of these.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 105
Very nice work! Don't know if I'll go that far with the electrical box elbows....I picked up a box( not stahlin) but dimensions are the same for 45 off ebay..how does that hinge attach and where?

Very nice work! Don't know if I'll go that far with the electrical box elbows....I picked up a box( not stahlin) but dimensions are the same for 45 off ebay..how does that hinge attach and where?
It fits between the door and the body when it's closed. Because this was an exact match from the one I salvaged it from it was pretty easy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back