Flintstones Tablets

Rapmastac1

Hi all, my first post here. I have done a brief search and found nothing of relevance to what I want to do.

I want to recreate the stone tablets in the first Flintstones movie. There are several used throughout, the most notable being the test scene for the executive position.

I'm looking to create a replica using a process of paper mache and plaster of paris. I don't know if this is the best way to go about it. I have begun to make a frame out of 1/4" chicken wire (steel sheets) and plan to cover it with paper mache to give something to grip for the plaster of paris. I plan to apply the plaster of paris (dyed the final color - important step) to the paper mache in several layers. After applying enough layers I want to chisel (using a dremel with a fine drill bit) the words.

Is there an easier way of going about this? I will have to apply a lot of layers of plaster in order to get the layered affect that I want. The dyed plaster will make the chiseled sections look better because the dye runs beneath the surface.

I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.yourprops.com/movieprops...tstones-Aptitude-Test-Faux-Leather-Case-1.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. In the meantime I am going ahead with a few ideas I have, currently three processes that I will post up once I have a good example.

I know some people have done it form foam, they carve the foam and then seal it, but it requires the thicker floral foam and a steady hand for carving. a couple years ago someone was selling casts of one of the newspapers I think.

Best of luck to you

I had thought about making it out of foam, originally using the airplane model foam since it is smoother. I had thought about casting it in foam and making models. I'm going ahead with what I had planned and on the side I'm going to make the currency (clams) using a process with clay to create a mold and using the plaster of paris to fill it in and see how that works. I'm doing some research now and I will report back with my progress.

You could make it in foam and then drylok the foam. I do it for tombstones

axCEIhu.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back