Flight of the Navigator Trimaxion Drone Ship

Well finally finished the Dronship model. I realise some exist already. I personally couldn't find any models around that satisfied my interest in accuracy but then I'm not saying this is super accurate either.

Droneship_v1.zip

Notes:
- No steps or doorway in this file. I need to figure out for myself how I'm going to prop those up and try and make the supports as invisible as possible. Thinking either a few rods or perhaps some transparent acrylic cut to shape.
- You'll have to set the scale in your printing app. I believe the original studio physical model was 15" long.

Drone_19-11-21_A.JPG
Drone_19-11-21_B.JPG
Drone_19-11-21_E.JPG

Last edited:
Max_19-11-27.JPG

The usual two steps forward, one step back when you've got nothing more than photography to work from. Made all the harder due to the chrome finish figuring out the shapes. Managed to get some decent front and profile shots at least. So much for a weekender though...

Last edited:
Wow! You'll need to find some fibre optic cables for the interior "eye" section. I think there were multiple Max heads, with mini projector screens, or lights, or fibre optic ends for the effects.

The models look accurate! I'd love to have one of them in my collection.

So... I built Max and was on the crew that went to Norway for the filming of the space ship interior. Yes, Norway! But that's another story.

There was basically only one head with a bunch of spare parts. Most of the shots had a frosted "eye" sphere with fiber optics and I think a few incandescent bulbs to light it up. For a few shots we used a "coherent fiber-optic bundle" which was a bundle of 25,000 optical fibers that could be used to rear project images onto a spherical rear-projection screen inside the head. This would allow, in theory, for the flexible bundle to be run down the jointed arm from the ceiling so the Max puppet could be moved around the set while images were projected inside the eye. In practice it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth to shoot and was used very little.

I might have some photos from the build/shoot somewhere. No promises, but I'll dig around.

Your model is looking great!

So... I built Max and was on the crew that went to Norway for the filming of the space ship interior. Yes, Norway! But that's another story.

Any behind the scenes or design images would be amazing Dave! I just received the new Blu-ray and plan to see what they have on there but so far I've not found much at all otherwise.

So the good news is I found the photos (I use to be organized back in those days!). The bad news is they are slides and I'll need to get them scanned. I think I have a slide scanner around here somewhere, if not there's one at work I can use. Please be patient, it may have to wait until after the holidays.

Actually a better solution would be to send the slides out to be scanned. If you are interested it's not very expensive. I found one place that would be probably under $40 for a batch. PM me if you are interested.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back