Flex seal

memyselfi

anyone tried to use "flex seal" liquid rubber for making simple casting molds, similar to terrain molds used in model railroad.

Last edited:
You would likely have to use most of the can if not all of it. Plasti-Dip is the same thing by the way...except it is available in huge quantities...it's even used for painting cars. Plasti-Dip also makes more than a couple of colors. Ultimately though I don't think it'd have as good of results as silicone, even the cheap caulking type silicone.

You can get Flex Seal in gallon cans, but since it's an infomercial product you'll pay out the butt and from everything I've gathered, they're pretty fast and loose with just how good it is in the ads.

I personally don't think a product like this would be good for the mold proper, but it would be excellent for an outer mold that you didn't necessarily want to be fully rigid but did want some strength from.

I like silicon caulk myself. Once you learn the tricks it becomes a great tool, such as mixing in a drop of acrylic paint to cure it and using naptha to thin it. I've made many molds with it and I've really had good results. Stinks though, that's the only thing.

-Rog

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back