Fixing a Crappy Paint Job

Skaught

Sr Member
I was painting my AT-AT helmet (white, sorry!) and everything was fine. Until the last coat, of course. There were some areas that didn't have quite enough shine I thought, so I wanted to put one more coat on. I know that if you spray too much, it can run. But if you don't spray enough, you don't get enough gloss and can even have a bit of texture. So I tried to land somewhere in the middle.

What happened is, I ended up with pock marks where the paint did flow together. That's really what it looks like -- bad acne scars. If I try to sand the paint down with heavy grit, it will make a lot of scratches and even gum up the paint. Too fine a grit doesn't have an effect, though. So now I'm not sure what too do. Any suggestions?

Scott

Your gonna have to let it cure for a WHILE (meaning maybe a week or more) if it is a thick coat. Then sand, then fine sand the hell out of it, moving to an even lighter wet sand.

I have had a LOT of trial and error with rattle cans. I know very well that gray area of too little or too much. I think you have to lean slightly to too much. Cause if it is too little then you add more while still wet... this is what happens.

Keith's techniques are what I always come back to. IDK if you have ever read through his step by step to get an ABS type finish?

Good luck. But I really think you are just gonna have to wait it out. Cause you ARE right, if you sand it now it will be gummy and TOTALLY screw it up. :( (I have tried. And yes it gets worse)

Last edited:
I would need to see a photo, but it sounds like the marks are caused by condensation. This happens mostly with a heavier coat of paint due to the spray paint being very cold.
You need to get a hairdryer set on warm on the paint within seconds of spraying the coat on.

If you follow my instructions step by step (you will find them in my ROTJ helmet thread) you should be able to get a 100% perfect finish which is identical to high gloss ABS.
It will probably depend on the type of paint you are using though too.

If you were using the Halfords paint like i use, you would (not should) be able to get a 100% perfect finish as long as you follow my instructions.

Keith.

BTW, if you are trying to make the AT-AT helmet accurate, as well as using grey paint and not white, you won't want to be doing the wet sanding and T-cutting, as you will be trying to replicate a helmet that really was spray painted.

Keith.

I feel your pain brother. I JUST had the same thing happen to me while finishing up a helmet. It looked perfect, but I just HAD to make it look more glossy. I did what Old Ken said. I let it cure for a few days, then lightly sanded the problem areas. I then went ahead and hit it again trying to add the perfect amount of paint to hide some of the imperfections. It looked better before I tried to make it MORE perfect. Oh well, lesson learned. Also, the hairdryer is a good idea prior to painting. What I do is let the can sit in warm water for a while and then spray. Also, try not to paint too early in the morning when humidity is highest. Good luck! :thumbsup

I'm going to check out your instructions too as I just completely messed up my snowboard helmet when I followed the directions on the can and put the clear coat over the last coat of color and the whole thing turned into alligator skin :( Had to use 100 grit to get the texture out and and working on smoothing that out so I can eventually repaint. Was pretty bummed when it happened.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back