First Try: Latex Shrunken Head

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

PFMF

So, this is a Testrun for later Projects and a little fun for making a small Larp/Halloween craft project.

I am doing a Latex Shrunken Head.
My plan is to do a model, cast a plaster mould and pour it, to make multiple casts.
First is the model made from Monster Clay.
15BF631D-4C49-4605-A3D9-FF292613230D.jpeg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

PFMF

And the mold is done.
Not a lot to say about it. Its a standart latex mask mould.
Turned out well, the monster clay can be mostly removed through melting by heatgun. The rest was dissolved with a solvent.

Attachments

• 483A3D84-EC09-4E07-96EB-A545DA0D2ACA.jpeg
    483A3D84-EC09-4E07-96EB-A545DA0D2ACA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

PFMF

So, did a test pour to see how it works and to clean up the mold a bit.
For a fast and dirty test it turned out surprisingly good.
19DF8ECF-F592-4622-A061-33F0B0CE5CB5.jpeg

PFMF

Now its slowly working myself towards the right colour.
I am using specific Latex Pigments so I do not have some reactions in the materials down the line. (Latex can be pretty suceptible to averse reactions that lead to an early destruction of the part)
I am not there yet, but getting closer.
5E72176A-E9F2-4E55-A6DF-F37EF3D4047A.jpeg

PFMF

Today I did a bit more playing around with colour. I will definitely need some orange or yellow pogment to get a better skin tone.

But I also did a think while working on my aquarium and came up with an idea for a more realistic colouring.

Real skin is layered and translucent. So just pouring the coloured latex will always create a flat and artificial look.

But uncoloured latex is too, translucent, and has a somewhat similar tone to the upper skin layer. So why not do a pour of thinned latex first, followed by the coloured latex.

The result has a nice look to it. The colour is obviously still off (and the latex is not completely translucent yet) but I like the sickly and more natural look it creates.
FBA2CD5A-67DF-4582-8938-3A4B535CBE91.jpeg

division 6

Master Member
I think the coloring would first depend on the victims original skin color.
Also on the way that the head was dried and shrunk also how long it has sat after shrinking.

Most of the one's I have seen are dark.