First try at Pep - NCR Ranger build

ed209

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After seeing some outstanding pep builds since I joined this site, I've decided to take a stab at it. I was especially inspired by Kommissar's build of the NCR Ranger from Fallout 3, so I'm choosing that as my first project. In part, this is because there doesn't seem to be any difficult curves; especially if you skip the helmet part and just modify an old WWII/Vietnam pot. I have one made of plastic, so I'll probably use that.

I'm not going for perfection here, or accuracy, simply because I don't have the time or the workbench to put a lot into this. But I'm hoping the devil will be in the details, once it's put together.

I also decided to use sheet styrene, since I've had a large roll of it for several years and figure I might as well do something with it. So, here goes...

After printing out the files on paper, I tacked them onto the styrene with glue and simply cut them out that way. I'm eyeballing everything, so I don't expect a good fit, but figure I'll fine tune it with milliput later.

_EDB5966.jpg

_EDB5967.jpg

Oh, since I figured at my skill level there's little chance I'd get the circular mouth piece right, I used the bottom of an aluminum can. I'm going to add details later, like a section of an old camera lens I took apart and some mesh screen, but this will at least cover the basic shape.

_EDB5971.jpg

For the eyes, I use "L" shaped sections of styrene backed by a thin layer of foam.

_EDB5975.jpg

_EDB5976.jpg

Then to adjust the shape, since it looked wide, I glued some of the styrene rods to the inside. Once the shape is where I like it, I'll probably use fiberglass to hold it all together and use a dremel to cut off the rods.

_EDB5977.jpg

Okay, so it's an ugly start, but let's see how it progresses.

More to come later.

that blue painters tape is going to lose its stick in a day or two and your whole build might fall apart, i'd be careful if i were you.

that blue painters tape is going to lose its stick in a day or two and your whole build might fall apart, i'd be careful if i were you.
Not to worry; there's a bunch of super glue and zip kicker at all the seams now.

I can already see the mouthpiece is off center, so I might just scratch this one and actually take the time to measure the pieces out so it's more symmetrical.

(by the way, did you see the other photo I posted in your thread?)

Not to worry; there's a bunch of super glue and zip kicker at all the seams now.

I can already see the mouthpiece is off center, so I might just scratch this one and actually take the time to measure the pieces out so it's more symmetrical.

(by the way, did you see the other photo I posted in your thread?)

yeah, i really like how the armor looks actually like real metal because of the filters and greyscale work

The mouthpiece was too far off center, which kept buggin' me every time I looked at it. Plus, I realized I was missing that additional layer it's mounted on, so I tore that whole section off and will cut a new piece that's more accurate.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back