First time mask making:

Rotate your head/eyes around the sculpt looking for expected anatomical landmarks.

I am not great at sculpting.

EDIT : "Vein" on temple actually temporal artery

Attachments

• 20220910_191918.jpg
    20220910_191918.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
Working on reshaping the sculpt a bit.

Did one side now and it feels s lot better.

I’ve also extended the neck further down to make a slightly longer mask to be sure I cover my own neck in the front.
The sides and back will be covered by the wig.
32AE57D0-2FB6-40CF-A9CD-3C2C51AA5282.jpeg
20CC9387-C9D2-438E-844C-B5C8CE3DF039.jpeg
64B9CA02-5877-4145-A481-0191D6476A0B.jpeg
53E79038-E8A6-4613-8F33-E1519F1E7C11.jpeg
1FA19137-7568-4963-ADB1-09721CFCBEA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words.

It is your support and suggestions that keeps making this better =)

Seems I wasn't finished with it after all for tonight.

I took a stab at making one of the ears.

I think I'm pretty close on this one. It looks good scale wise next to the head I think.

First picture is before gasoline smoothing properly...
E0EF2C2A-1545-4D11-900D-17FB76F97023.jpeg
148263E6-267C-49F9-8978-F197089CFE94.jpeg
690E613D-3658-4ABB-8303-FBDBE1869BBF.jpeg

I have the ear raised somewhat to help in creating the mold.

My plan is to mold it and cast it not only in silicone, but also probably in resin to3d scan the ear and create the mirror image.

It might be cheating.. but I'm not sure I can make another ear like this, it was quite challenging!

Please dont take this wrong, but I hope you visualized them crazy teeth correctly.
Oh, the teeth are already sculpted. They will be cast on a separate gum that will sit on the inside helmet just inside the lips.

There is plenty of clay material in to allow for armature, dentures and everything in front of my actual face.

The upper gums will be sitting right under my real nose, and the thickness of the clay around that point is more than an inch.
As suggested earlier, once I have created a mold of the outside of the face, I will fill it with about 4 mm of clay (about 5/32") and create a solid inner buck to allow a controlled skin surface.

Have a look at my B-face for older clay teeth:
(These teeth are slightly too big, but gives an idea at least)

(My first attempt that I abandoned after two days)
CA64D071-34A0-41D6-9E59-ED2B8E9D20DE.jpeg

My plan is to mold it and cast it not only in silicone, but also probably in resin to3d scan the ear and create the mirror image.

It might be cheating.. but I'm not sure I can make another ear like this, it was quite challenging!

I would suggest just sculpting the second ear. Since you've done one and you have it as a pattern, the second one will go much more quickly and I guarantee it will look better than the first one. You'll end up going back and updating the first one. Ears shouldn't be perfectly symmetrical on an organic character anyway.

My second try at sculpting something is always better and faster than the first. Your making really good progress!

Tell me when to stop if you think I am nagging.

I'd lower the ears, they seem to follow the swoop of the eyebrow. Also, the chin is a big round baby butt, but a little less crack in the middle.

Attachments

• 20220913_114326.jpg
    20220913_114326.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 65
Tell me when to stop if you think I am nagging.

I'd lower the ears, they seem to follow the swoop of the eyebrow. Also, the chin is a big round baby butt, but a little less crack in the middle.
Oh you're not nagging.
After all, I am totally new to this and value any input I can get =)

The ear is not attached at all. I just placed it next to the sculpt. I will mold and cast the ears separately.
What would you suggest with the chin?

Oh you're not nagging.
After all, I am totally new to this and value any input I can get =)

The ear is not attached at all. I just placed it next to the sculpt. I will mold and cast the ears separately.
What would you suggest with the chin?

Thanks.

Have the lateral (furthest away from midline)
sides of the chin taper more towards the midline, and the place where the two, rounf baby buttcheeks of of his chin meet to not be such a valley. I tried to do a quick drawing to convey the idea.

I dont know how this guy eats soup!

I dont know how this guy eats soup!
Somehow I don't believe Orcs are well renowned for their wonderful soup cuisine...

Never the less, I cut his chins off and started reshaping and moving clay about until I came to a reduced chin that looks a lot better.

There is still some texturing left to be done, but for about 45 minutes work it's not too bad.

One thing this (and your feedback) has helped me is to not be afraid of clay, and not be afraid to rework and reshape things, just because I am fairly happy.

Next step on this guy, I think, is to give him an addams apple, even though it will hardly be visible underneath the armor pieces. Still, I'll do some more work on his neck and some more fine texturing on the newly reshaped chin.

It does look a LOT less than a baby's bottom now... thanks =)
A0E3C192-1224-40A0-BC55-F1AAE2E30A19.jpeg
E2F27133-C51D-426D-8518-0EFB1434CFF4.jpeg
5A2DD9F9-5358-4710-8CD9-36A05113776B.jpeg

Difference:
1663157620274.png

Last edited:
Work and acting classes has been keeping me busy, but here are the ears after I made a new ear (left.. although it is the right ear...) in medium Monster Clay to have it a bit more firm, which I really like.
So far, all my sculpting has been in soft Monster Clay, which means that every light touch will leave a mark.

I might do some minor touch ups on the first ear, if not remake it with medium firmness clay as well, if not, these are pretty much ready for casting.

A595B35C-69DE-4E29-98F3-8E9BAD998CF7.jpeg
BCC7945E-E127-4EC2-B986-B56D5034D9A0.jpeg
8D185DAE-EECB-4FA9-A8A0-C9C3C4663787.jpeg

I've also done some tests with the clay teeth (no pic though) in the sculpt and they still do fit nicely.

About the ears: They have complex shape, and will be cast in Dragon Skin 10, but what would you recommend making the mold out of?

Would I need to make this a two part mold, or could I still cast it in one go?

Some air escape tunnels might be needed, of course...

Any advice is greatly appreciated =)

Last edited:
Work and acting classes has been keeping me busy, but here are the ears after I made a new ear (left.. although it is the right ear...) in medium Monster Clay to have it a bit more firm, which I really like.
So far, all my sculpting has been in soft Monster Clay, which means that every light touch will leave a mark.

I might do some minor touch ups on the first ear, if not remake it with medium firmness clay as well, if not, these are pretty much ready for casting.

View attachment 1618336View attachment 1618337View attachment 1618338

I've also done some tests with the clay teeth (no pic though) in the sculpt and they still do fit nicely.

About the ears: They have complex shape, and will be cast in Dragon Skin 10, but what would you recommend making the mold out of?

Would I need to make this a two part mold, or could I still cast it in one go?

Some air escape tunnels might be needed, of course...

Any advice is greatly appreciated =)

Right ear looks great, left ear doesnt look as full or detailed or polished.

If there is a flat area, use that as the escape route for your cast. I dont know how flexible dragonskin 10 is, I will check next time I am at a Reynolds

Right ear looks great, left ear doesnt look as full or detailed or polished.

If there is a flat area, use that as the escape route for your cast. I dont know how flexible dragonskin 10 is, I will check next time I am at a Reynolds

Since the left ear is to the right and the right to the left I am not quite sure which you mean...

Ear marked as #1, is the "new" one I made. His left ear. Made from medium Monster Clay.
Ear marked as #2, is the "old" one, which is his right ear. Made from soft Monster Clay.

1663768744133.png

Just so I am 100% sure, are you referring to ear #1 or ear #2 ? =)

I think the original ear, #2, is a bit more coarse than the new one, but #1 might be too smooth for an orc...

Since the left ear is to the right and the right to the left I am not quite sure which you mean...

Ear marked as #1, is the "new" one I made. His left ear. Made from medium Monster Clay.
Ear marked as #2, is the "old" one, which is his right ear. Made from soft Monster Clay.

View attachment 1618608

Just so I am 100% sure, are you referring to ear #1 or ear #2 ? =)

I think the original ear, #2, is a bit more coarse than the new one, but #1 might be too smooth for an orc...

I like ear #1

Do you have a means to pick up the ears and move them around?

Spray release agent, let ears dry, then brush on thin layer or gently applied Rebound 25. I think we confirmed Rebound 25 plays well with dragonskin.

I'd think about using Compat 45 to mold the ears. You don't have to worry about the dragon skin sticking to it and you should be able to make a 1 part mold using the ear back where you are attaching the ears as the open pour area. You should be able to pull/ pry the Dragon Skin out of the Compat 45. That is what I did for my dragon ears and they are thinner and more fragile. I had to cut a little into the Compat 45 to be to open the mold a bit, but I don't think you would have to with these ears. The hardest part would be getting the clay out of the 1 part mold.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back