First Man (Post-release)

What did you think of First Man?

• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If they want a lot of emotin' and joshin' they can do Third Man. Of course the pressure was off
to beat the Russians and be first at that point.

Saw the movie today with my 17yr old son. Loved it! I felt they really captured the spirit of the times (space race) and the intensity that each of these men and their families endured as they pushed the limits of science and ingenuity. They could have made it 3.5 hours and I would have ate it up.

It is becoming more common for trailers to show things not in the final film.
Armstrong watching a Saturn V launch reflected in the glass was not in the film correct?
Perhaps the the Bluray I guess.

Saw this in IMAX last weekend, and absolutely loved it. HOWEVER, I DO wish that they would have pulled back a bit on a lot of the dramatic shots (ie: walking-talking shots, OTS talking shots, etc...). I get that they wanted us IN the rocket capsule with them, and I loved that aspect of it (especially the Gemini VIII launch where we’re with them THE WHOLE TIME). But this hand-held, extremely close-up feel for most of the movie gets trounced the second we landed on the moon, and the camera became absolutely still. And so did the audience. Such an “otherworldly” contrast. Also, the sequence in the beginning with his daughter, Karen, hit me right in the feels. The man sitting behind us was sobbing uncontrollably. Very powerful emotional stuff.

Also, if you’re interested in reading about how practical models were used in this film, check out this article by Ian Failes from vfxblog: https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/e...ature-model-rockets?__twitter_impression=true

SB

Why is this doing so poorly? Acting or what? I figured given the subject matter it would be a hit.

Unsure. Biopic/history may not attract most, and of course everyone knows they landed successfully so
maybe knowing the story is a problem.
Hopefully it has some legs and can pull a profit down the road. I would have thought with The Martian
being a hit more of those people would want to see this too.

I saw it last sunday and enjoyed it but I'm in no rush to see it again. I suppose my expectations were so high since La La Land is one of my favorite movies and soundtracks. Not that I expected this to be anything like that obviously. But I was really excited because it had a lot of the same talent in front of and behind the camera. A lot of the space photography reminded me of Interstellar which isn't a good thing because it made me want to watch that instead.

Because word got out that they removed all elements of patriotism and American exceptionalism.

It surely wasn't true, I know the statements that started all that "controversy" but Apollo also indeed did have an overt "for all mankind" message.
Nixon's phone call, the plaque on the LEM lander, they even left things on the surface in memorial of the cosmonauts
that died too. The film had flags all over it, it portrayed America extremely well.
I would say that would only account for a couple percent at most and sadly it is out of ignorance and knee jerk in my opinion.

I tried talking a co-worker into seeing this with me, but she watched the trailer and thought it looked too melodramatic - which was my initial reaction to the first trailer, too.
I still want to see it. Maybe I'll go see it alone...

I heard that they didnt even show him planting the American flag, and that the mission was a "global effort". Kinda not true, the US basically did it alone, with our tax payers money lol. But is that true, did they not show the flag planting scene?

I heard that they didnt even show him planting the American flag, and that the mission was a "global effort". Kinda not true, the US basically did it alone, with our tax payers money lol. But is that true, did they not show the flag planting scene?

Well that's the problem. "I heard" rather than actually seeing the film what it depicts.
It's not that kind of story such that flag planting was necessary to depict. It's a narrative of Armstrong's life at that time.
It actually would have slowed down the narrative to get caught up in showing every event. They skipped many things.
The film still ran long. There was no Nixon speech,
there was no showing all these experiments getting set up. There was no time spent showing the space suits
being set up. Climbing back up the ladder, leaving behind Apollo 1 and Cosmonaut momentos.
The flag was shown firmly planted next to the lander, Which by the way was not some reverent Iwo Jima
moment in battle as the two moonwalkers struggled with the hardware that was engineered only a few months before.
I know the comments from the director and
Gosling sent some into a tizzy but it was really unnecessary. The film depicts a very American effort at every step
and the world celebrating the event. In fact they show the French woman that was interviewed back then expressing
her trust in America that we could do it. It is so frustrating about this flag planting thing. Not to mention the flag
also fell over when the ascent engine fired, so there is also facts that would not be so great to show.
If some creators were leaning on the "For All Mankind" aspect, well blame America for that, Apollo 11 was entwined
with that aspect greatly. There is no flag on the plaque left on the lander that says we came in peace for all mankind.

And there was international cooperation back then for tracking and radio. And I think most would agree
without German engineers like Werner von Braun there may not have been anything near the successes NASA had so quickly.

I just don't get the freak out when there is nothing in the film to be upset about at all.
They play Kennedy's "We choose" speech.
The film is filled with uplifting American values.
I think there was a massive knee jerk to comments made without anyone actually seeing the film first.

Anyone here who saw it disagree?

Well its either in there or it isnt. I didnt plan on seeing it, I was just looking at this thread to see what you guys thought of the movie, and to ask if the scene was in there or not.

I was literally asking if that scene is in the movie or not. One of those "yes or no" answers would have been cool. ;)

Well its either in there or it isnt. I didnt plan on seeing it, I was just looking at this thread to see what you guys thought of the movie, and to ask if the scene was in there or not.

I was literally asking if that scene is in the movie or not. One of those "yes or no" answers would have been cool. ;)

Apologies of course, I think after the "controversy" which I considered manufactured I'm probably too quick to defend as the subject matter
has forever been close to my heart.

I saw this on Sunday in IMAX with a group of friends. We all loved it. I've been looking forward to it ever since I heard it was Chazelle's next project. I'm a huge fan of his work, so I couldn't wait to see him do something different from what he's done so far - I wasn't disappointed.

It's an incredibly intimate movie, which on an IMAX screen can get overwhelming, but it's impactful nonetheless. The family life scenes are emotional and surprisingly gripping, thanks to the intense performances of Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy (the real standout here). This shouldn't come as a surprise given how brilliant Whiplash and La La Lands are, but I really loved Justin Hurwitz' soundtrack. It greatly aids in the intimacy and severity of the film. The Armstrongs and The Landing are my favorite tracks.

As for the American flag thing, I think people are losing sight of what this movie is about. It's not about America and NASA, it's about Neil Armstrong - plain and simple. It's about how all of this affected and impacted a man and his family/friends. Sure, they touch on the political debate regarding the space program (which was an interesting and necessary portion of the film), but the actual planting of the flag ins't important to Armstrong's story. Just my two cents.

It surely wasn't true, I know the statements that started all that "controversy" but Apollo also indeed did have an overt "for all mankind" message.
Nixon's phone call, the plaque on the LEM lander, they even left things on the surface in memorial of the cosmonauts
that died too. The film had flags all over it, it portrayed America extremely well.
I would say that would only account for a couple percent at most and sadly it is out of ignorance and knee jerk in my opinion.

Saw the film. It definitely wasn't a love letter to America and the only discussion of America was how the government was fed up with one PR crisis after another and a black man chanting about "whitey". Not cool.

The missions and landing were beautifully done, but I was surprised about how America was almost the villain in the film.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back