First Look: Andrew Garfield in Spider-Man Costume

Yeah? I see a bit of what might be red belt waist high off to the right, and the red torso piece looks all rubbed as if something was resting across it. Maybe the big Spidey belt-buckle flashlight! But whatevs; I like it either way.
See, to me it looks like that red stops coming from the back. It follows the seam line along the thigh. I am curious as to when we will see the mask. If they tinkered with the costume like this, how will the mask look?

At first glance, this looks good... it's Spider-Man: red, blue, a spider and some webs.

Then the details kinda sink in. Those aren't really webs, they're squares, that weird texture, the gloves and the slit above them. The lack of "belt."

Ya know, they had to try and make some changes to distinguish themselves from the Raimi/Maguire films. And the Riami/Maguire series had some flaws - but, to me at least - they seemed to capture the look and feel of Spidey rather well.

I'm guessing the series is a bit of a cash cow, which is why they're jumping on a reboot so quickly. Seems to be poorly thought out doing a reboot so quickly - but, I'm sure their research shows that there is a market; I think it's too soon to relaunch this series. To too many people Tobey Maguire is Spider-man and it might not be too easy to erase that image (shades of Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney - but, hey... as terrible as I though Batman Begins was, it was successful).

I wasn't sure about the casting of Garfield - didn't really look like Pete in the images and movies I've seen him in. Emma Stone was perfect casting... for MJ, recent pics shows she looks like Gwen enough - but still her demeanor and original red/dark haired look - just her whole presence screamed that she would be a perfect MJ.

That said: I'm excited to see them do the Gwen Stacy storyline - I just hope they do it right.

Because Raimi made terrible movies when it came to Spider-Man.

I would strongly disagree with that. The first two were pretty darn good, reinvigorated the super hero genre and launched a lot of movies. I would also be on board with anyone who believed the third movie was so unbelievably bad that it also eclipsed the good in the first two...

I don't really like the idea that they are "rebooting" Spider-Man, but a different direction was clearly needed after the last horror.

Superhero One-Two Punch: Your New Spider-Man | Badass Digest

http://badassness.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/firstspidey.jpg
Hi-Res

garfield_spidey_costume.jpg

He is a more thin and lean Spidey similar to the Ultimate comics. The costume is updated yet has a classic look to it. The lack of belt doesn't bother me that much, which is still visible around the waist on the side.

The costume is greased and beaten up especially on the chest. Either he was fighting the thug who killed Uncle Ben or perhaps fighting a villain (Lizard perhaps).

Still waiting to get a look at that mask, which he is currently clenching in his right fist. Hopefully those are mechanical webshooters visible around both his wrists.

spidey_costume_compare.png
(comparison)

Unlike Raimi's version this has less red color design around the arms and biceps. Maybe this is just his initial costume before he makes a updated version.

They definitely had to stand out from the other movie versions, so a change was crucial. Many wanted the black webbing instead of the silver for the other movie costume. The silver actual made the costume more cooler.

The silver is missing here, but the black webbing looks just as good. But on close up, the red pattern has too big circles on it, probably not noticeable at regular distance.

Boy, I am going to inspect/praise/criticize this costume to no ends. I will stop for now :p
I thought I didn't like it but seeing them back to back it is growing on me..

I like the fact that Andrew / Peter is much slimmer. Peter is supposed to be a wimpy nerdy teenager and that was essential in the original comics. He was picked on, etc. I always envisioned that when he became muscular as Spider-man, his body would still be lean and muscular like Bruce Lee.

I personally dont mind the fancy red blue pattern. What bugs me is:

The webbing: it's more like a curved grid than the droopy swoops of webbing that was established from day 1.

Not sure whats up with the chest spiders legs drooping all the way down the chest?

The high tech "a school kid doesn't have acccess to a wetsuit sewing machine" type of thing. I need to bbelieve he could have made this himself. Who knows, maybe in the story they will explain this (like he buys a wetsuit or downhill ski racing suit and paints it?)

I am looking forward to seeing the mask. It could really make this stand on its own, or fail miserably.

I'm kind of torn on what Marvel is doing myself. On one hand I'm ecstatic to have lived to finally see some of these characters finally get live-action movies.

But it also seems like Marvel is hot on the idea of reboots just for the sake of reboots. I'm thinking they must view movies as being a lot like comics in a way where if it doesn't work the first time, "try, try again".

They 'rebooted' the Hulk and the Punisher after those movies had only been out a couple of years and they're going to apparently be 'rebooting' them again. Obviously Ruffalo is going to be playing the Hulk in the Avengers which I'm guessing may loosely tie into the Norton Hulk but still be intended as a reboot and I'm pretty sure one of the Marvel guys said something about eventually redoing the Punisher.

Heck, they're currently filming Ghost Rider 2 with Nic Cage and even THAT is supposed to be some kind of reboot where according to reports they're essentially going to ignore the first film.

And not to mention there's talk about rebooting Daredevil which isn't necessarily a bad thing though I liked the first movie myself. Oh, yeah, and Fantastic Four. What else am I forgetting?

Marvel is just "reboot happy" it seems. It works fine with comic books so I assume that's why they are so open-minded about trying things in different ways until it gels but I'm not so sure it's going to work out the way they plan it to.

I'm kind of torn on what Marvel is doing myself. On one hand I'm ecstatic to have lived to finally see some of these characters finally get live-action movies.

But it also seems like Marvel is hot on the idea of reboots just for the sake of reboots. I'm thinking they must view movies as being a lot like comics in a way where if it doesn't work the first time, "try, try again".

They 'rebooted' the Hulk and the Punisher after those movies had only been out a couple of years and they're going to apparently be 'rebooting' them again. Obviously Ruffalo is going to be playing the Hulk in the Avengers which I'm guessing may loosely tie into the Norton Hulk but still be intended as a reboot and I'm pretty sure one of the Marvel guys said something about eventually redoing the Punisher.

Heck, they're currently filming Ghost Rider 2 with Nic Cage and even THAT is supposed to be some kind of reboot where according to reports they're essentially going to ignore the first film.

And not to mention there's talk about rebooting Daredevil which isn't necessarily a bad thing though I liked the first movie myself. Oh, yeah, and Fantastic Four. What else am I forgetting?

Marvel is just "reboot happy" it seems. It works fine with comic books so I assume that's why they are so open-minded about trying things in different ways until it gels but I'm not so sure it's going to work out the way they plan it to.

Other than the Hulk, Marvel doesn't own movie rights to any of those characters, MAYBE Punisher has reverted but I'm not sure. The rest were signed to Fox or Sony and they are trying to hold the rights since super hero movies have been good cash cows.

I think the FF is the only corporate superhero movie I could write. And it wouldn't take much to make you forget the two they did.

The thing I love about the FF is that their powers didn't change their personalities. Peter Parker learns some life lessons; Steve Rogers becomes even more patriotic. Tony Stark discovers social responsibility.

The world's smartest man, his best friend, his girlfriend, and her brother just get cooler clothes and a nicer office. That's awesome.

I think the FF is the only corporate superhero movie I could write. And it wouldn't take much to make you forget the two they did.

The thing I love about the FF is that their powers didn't change their personalities. Peter Parker learns some life lessons; Steve Rogers becomes even more patriotic. Tony Stark discovers social responsibility.

The world's smartest man, his best friend, his girlfriend, and her brother just get cooler clothes and a nicer office. That's awesome.

I think I'm cool with just about anything that happens with FF as long as they stick to doing the Thing with CGI the next time around (besides, CGI does really well at hard-surface modeling so I think it'd look best that way). That was my #1 complaint about the first two. I didn't even mind the design of Chiklis's costume so much but it was more his small size that bugged me the most.

Good points about the personality changes. Hadn't thought of it that way but very true.

It also hadn't occurred to me that Marvel might not have all of the rights to those characters back yet. I know I remember some kind of talk about a Punisher reboot but maybe it was just speculation from the Marvel Entertainment folks about what they'd do long-term. I really had hoped to see a sequel to the Thomas Jane Punisher film myself as I liked the first one myself. I thought the second one would have been much better. Maybe eventually they'll find a happy medium.

Now if DC can get their act together and get some stuff made... I'd like to be arguing about DC reboots five years from now :p

they better just not tell the damn origin story again... that movie is barely 10 years old, dont need it repeated.

can't believe they are going right back to the begining with this movie.......... why

i actually like the costume a lot and im also very pleased to see that he may have web shooters and please please bring in the Rhino

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back