First Look: Andrew Garfield in Spider-Man Costume

Well, at least the belly-achers can see his red belt is actually included but got ripped off in the fight.

I don't think it's ripped off. I think that's the design.

Looking at the close up image, I can say I really don't like the rear legs of the chest spider melding into the red/blue seams and extending all the way down to spidey's waist. It's one of those design ideas that's clever on paper but gets lost in the actual model and ruins the iconic nature of a chest symbol.

Nick

Last edited:
that's why Raimi got fired, he was too traditional (and expensive probably) so far marvel on every level is unimpressive with their films lately. i do like the idea of the mechanical web shooters though.

i do like the idea of the mechanical web shooters though.

This is one of those things where I don't know if EITHER way will work right in a movie.

Let me put it THIS way... if they do a real quick transition montage like the Raimi movie. That will be REALLY lame.

I really hope they find a way to make it quasi realistic...

I never really found the "superbad" girl to be that hot... UNTIL the Gwen look...

YOWZERS! :eek

(looks wise one of the best casting decisions EVER for a comic book character)

I hate it, but then getting the Rami movies was a miracle enough, save for the terrible unevenness of the last one. Even then I never liked that there was no explanation really for where the suit in those movies came from. I couldn't believe he or anyone short of the costuming geniuses that were needed to create it could do it. They should have at least admitted that comically.

In the montage of Spidey first appeared fighting crime in the original film, I thought he should have been wearing the sweat suit costume once or twice and save say a Broadway fashion designer from getting mugged, played ideally by uber gay Harvey Firestein who rasps "Oh you wonderful boy, but that suit just won't do!" and then flash to Peter uncomfortably getting measured and suited up by said costumer in gratitude.

Something like that would have fit in humorously and provided the plausibility like in the Batman reboot that Wayne needed help building his batsuit. That was in both Nolan films so far a great and quickly handled bit, but enhanced believability greatly.

But that's just my opinion. I suspect this Spidey reboot will probably have more than one suit, but tinkering with the look of it like how they felt they must on those Batman suits leading to the nipped travesty seems pretty par for Hollywood.,,

In the montage of Spidey first appeared fighting crime in the original film, I thought he should have been wearing the sweat suit costume once or twice and save say a Broadway fashion designer from getting mugged, played ideally by uber gay Harvey Firestein who rasps "Oh you wonderful boy, but that suit just won't do!" and then flash to Peter uncomfortably getting measured and suited up by said costumer in gratitude.

What have I said time and TIME AGAIN???

No being rational in the OT!!! :angry (oh wait, this is the movie section... hrmm)

Seriously though, that would have worked PERFECTLY. I would be happy if it was handled precisely like that in the new movie.

Maybe spidey saves a talented RPFer. (wait isn't MUNSON working on a spidey suit? LOL)

I don't think it looks to bad personally, I'd need to see it in action before making my final judgment. Looking forward to the new film, let's see what they can bring to the table.

What have I said time and TIME AGAIN???

No being rational in the OT!!! :angry (oh wait, this is the movie section... hrmm)

I don't know what this means.

Seriously though, that would have worked PERFECTLY. I would be happy if it was handled precisely like that in the new movie.

Maybe spidey saves a talented RPFer. (wait isn't MUNSON working on a spidey suit? LOL)

I'd have to see the whole movie to pass judgment on it. The one thing that it does have going for it is the actor is closer to old-school 60's Spiderman in his build. One of the things that was a tad annoying was that fit but slender Toby looked one way in his suit with it's clearly built up muscle-undersuit padding - and then when the CGI Spidey or stuntmen were in the suit it would look like Spidey suddenly gained 50lbs of muscle - only to go back to slender Toby as Peter.

To me it's right back to the old study hall discussions I remember in junior high about why or even HOW does Superman have such big muscles in the first place? If he's super strong naturally, what would he have to lift and exercise with to even get that Arnold Schwarzenegger physique in the comic books? On that front I chuckled watching "The Incredibles" when not quite infinitely strong Mr Incredible was shown lifting train cars to 'work-out'. Originally Spidey broke the mold of 'super-hero' muscle man in every way, and was snarky and funny in the suit too. I loved that and the Rami movies were kinda lame in trying replicate that snarky Spidey humor.

Spiderman being a lanky teen, lankier even that Toby was is a good casting choice with this new guy. But comic book movies really almost never get it 100% right, so all one can do is sigh and hope it doesn't suck epically, but just has the minimum amount of suckage so you don't feel you got completely ripped off for the price of admission.

After sitting through half of that travesty "The Cape" NBC put on TV the other night before I switched it off I'm sure a new Spidey reboot cant suck that much.

After sitting through half of that travesty "The Cape" NBC put on TV the other night before I switched it off I'm sure a new Spidey reboot cant suck that much.

2003839490.gif

Yes it can.

I don't think it's ripped off. I think that's the design.

Yeah? I see a bit of what might be red belt waist high off to the right, and the red torso piece looks all rubbed as if something was resting across it. Maybe the big Spidey belt-buckle flashlight! But whatevs; I like it either way.

I would like the record to show that there are members posting -- in sincerity -- that they would like Harvey Firestein to be revealed -- on screen -- as the creator of the Spidey Suit.

I don't see the big deal. After all, you don't ever hear that complaint about Hamlet or A Midsummer Night's Dream, do you? Or, "I can't believe they put short pants on Puck!"

I don't see the big deal. After all, you don't ever hear that complaint about Hamlet or A Midsummer Night's Dream, do you? Or, "I can't believe they put short pants on Puck!"

Yeah, it's all in the interpretation. As long as the reboot is EXCELLENT, I won't have any qualms with it. I like how Hulk and The Incredible Hulk deal with the same characters, but are two entirely different beasts, so to speak. I love the newer film so much more than the Ang Lee version. Maybe Mark Webb's Spidey flick will make us think Raimi's interpretations were piles of crap. Hopefully.

And back to the costume: I like how the pic they give us is a shot of it all torn up. Maybe there'll be a sequence of Pete's first crimefight where he gets his spiderbutt handed to him? I'd really like to see him struggle with his powers from the get-go and show that he still is a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and what he's up against.

Superhero One-Two Punch: Your New Spider-Man | Badass Digest

http://badassness.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/firstspidey.jpg
Hi-Res

garfield_spidey_costume.jpg

He is a more thin and lean Spidey similar to the Ultimate comics. The costume is updated yet has a classic look to it. The lack of belt doesn't bother me that much, which is still visible around the waist on the side.

The costume is greased and beaten up especially on the chest. Either he was fighting the thug who killed Uncle Ben or perhaps fighting a villain (Lizard perhaps).

Still waiting to get a look at that mask, which he is currently clenching in his right fist. Hopefully those are mechanical webshooters visible around both his wrists.

spidey_costume_compare.png
(comparison)

Unlike Raimi's version this has less red color design around the arms and biceps. Maybe this is just his initial costume before he makes a updated version.

They definitely had to stand out from the other movie versions, so a change was crucial. Many wanted the black webbing instead of the silver for the other movie costume. The silver actual made the costume more cooler.

The silver is missing here, but the black webbing looks just as good. But on close up, the red pattern has too big circles on it, probably not noticeable at regular distance.

Boy, I am going to inspect/praise/criticize this costume to no ends. I will stop for now :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back