First Look: Andrew Garfield in Spider-Man Costume

I like those big expressive things Ringo used to draw. Actually, that'd be awesome if they animated the lenses so it could have expression. :)

There are boxes instead of webs. Lemme just say that again. Boxes. Instead of webs. It's a nice design for a slalom skier and I kinda like that there are web shooters so big you can see them from the other side of his wrist cuz that's almost like saying "organic webshooters was such a horrid, stupid, and bad idea we needed to pack 4 movies worth of web shooter mass into this one thing" but dude....boxes in place of webs, and they didn't even bother doing them over all the red in the costume. Yeah, that's not a Spider-Man outfit and I'm not ever gonna believe it is one. We'll see how the rest of the movie looks but I'm pretty far from sold on this one and the recent onslaught of stupid dreck at the theater has made it so I'm not really entirely guaranteed to go see anything so if the rest of the movie continues looking like no thought was put into it I really won't have a problem not going.

Also i think, spider-man is the single suit that just begs for spandex, this looks like a rubbery thing to me. wonder who designed it ?

Also i think, spider-man is the single suit that just begs for spandex, this looks like a rubbery thing to me. wonder who designed it ?

Kym Barret. She did the Red Planet spacesuit, The Matrix, and the costumes for the best movie to only make 5 mil in it's original theatrical run, Zero Effect.

I can't believe no one has pointed THIS out about the suit...

It looks even LESS likely to be hand made by a teenager. (is he an RPF member?)

It isn't JUST rubbery. It has a crazy texture to it. Capt Americas new final suit looks a LOT like this texture-wise. And he had to have TONY FRAKKIN STARKs dad make it for him.

You telling me this kid went to Wal Mart or Jo-annes and made this thing?

That is what is REALLY lame.

Unless Tony Stark does make an appearence and makes him a suit...

I'm not buying this look.

I dig the skinny Spider-man look. He looks like a teenager!

The modern "sports graphics" stripes stuff going on in some of the graphics just doesn't work for me though. The lizard skin feel is weird but I'll give it a chance.

I'm not one who is normally afraid of design changes when adapting these crazy comics costumes to live action but Spidey is kinda perfect as is. He's one of the few characters that has gone through practically NO design evolution for his entire existence. Rather remarkable really.

Ditko kinda nailed it from the beginning.

Romita may have perfected it.

And everybody else has just been preaching the same damn Spidey costume ever since with only the slightest variations for stylistic fun.

Nick

Last edited:
Aww, man. Don't tell me he's going to lose his mask after the first hit he takes.

This isn't a JUDGE DREDD thing; they're doing the bit where Spidey realizes he could have saved Uncle Ben:

amazing-fantasy-15-570x346.jpg

Also, I think Nick Daring should doodle a Spidey for us. :)

Ditko invented emo.

That's eye liner running down Peter parker cheeks in that panel.

I'll see what I can do about that Spidey drawing. :)

Nick

I can't believe no one has pointed THIS out about the suit...

It looks even LESS likely to be hand made by a teenager. (is he an RPF member?)

It isn't JUST rubbery. It has a crazy texture to it. Capt Americas new final suit looks a LOT like this texture-wise. And he had to have TONY FRAKKIN STARKs dad make it for him.

You telling me this kid went to Wal Mart or Jo-annes and made this thing?

That is what is REALLY lame.

Unless Tony Stark does make an appearence and makes him a suit...

I'm not buying this look.

That did occur to me but it also fits into the webshooter argument. I don't know how many agree with me on preferring organic shooters (not many I think) but it seems to me that any kid that can create web fluid and the shooters could make any kind of fancy costume he wanted. It's one of the reasons I liked the Raimi version with the Human Spider costume he started with... I know that's the classic fan debate though so to each his own.

amazing-fantasy-15-570x346.jpg

Hey, Peter used to look like Stan Lee.

Yeah, a kid couldn't make that rubber suit in secret, probably. But could he make it out of spandex and embroider webbing all over it?

He also might figure out how to make webbing, but how about the shooters? Does he have a lathe in his room? Or equipment to pressurize the containers?

I would have to echo what has already been said. This suite doesn't look like Peter Parker could have made it, so I cannot 'buy' into that part of the story. It is very rubbery which just makes it look kind of 'off' to me. It really doesn't appear like someone could move in this very well, little lone fight in it.

Call me weird, but there is something about it that reminds me of Spawn's costume (from the movie). I don't think the costume works very well as a whole.

The design is bold, highly complex and detailed, so for that, I give it props. If a member here made it for as their interpertaion of spidy, I would say 'looks great'.

I got to sit with John Romita Jr. and watch him draw for an entire day once. I helped with his money and keeping peoples autographed stuff in order for him.

What a SUPER nice guy. He had injured his hand like a day before but STILL drew little sketches for ANY kid that would ask. Can't say enough about the guy.

Only thing bad I can say is while I was sitting there Jon and Rose were getting married and having Jeremy Bulloch donning the Boba suit for the first and prob last time since ROTJ :( (at least I was with Mr. Bulloch when he made the call to GL to get permission.)

Back on topic though. The people who made spidey what he is... is how it should stay. Other than his shooters he really didn't need the "techy" suit like say... batman.

His suit isn't supposed to be functional, other than for hiding his identity.

Back on topic though. The people who made spidey what he is... is how it should stay. Other than his shooters he really didn't need the "techy" suit like say... batman.

I'm glad someone brought this up, because until 1989 Batman wasn't "tech." In fact, all the fanboy crying I read now about the new Spidey suit sounds like everything everyone was saying about the batsuit back then. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back