First Avenger belt and holster rig [COMPLETED 07MAY2012]

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 06MAY2012]

Looks great! And I received my leather today, too. :thumbsup

Can't wait to find the time to get started on it! :lol

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 05MAR2012]

I am not NuRF but since I am also working on a TFA build, I will share the love!

(Also second post so I hope I don't mess up the attachments!)
Hey, those look familiar. LOL!

Let me know if you want the full rez versions of those pics.

Not sure if it's possible. But you mentioned changing the patterns you originally put up, any way you could upload the revised templates?

.... I don't suppose you do commission builds on the holster rig? Bearing in mind I will be fixing it to a UD belt, so not sure how compatible it will be.

.... I don't suppose you do commission builds on the holster rig? Bearing in mind I will be fixing it to a UD belt, so not sure how compatible it will be.

I'm not sure what a UD belt is? I just returned from Afghanistan so I won't be taking any more commissions for a little bit so I can get my stuff in order again.

Hey Sandman,
For starters welcome back and thanks for your service :thumbsup. My question is, did you every get a working prototype of a functional buckle? I was working out a similar design but it was too week at the two flexible "locking arms." Any thoughts?

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 15APR2012]

I have never worked with leather before. Do you have to have a super strong needle and do you punch the holes first before you run the thread through it? What thickness/type of leather do you work with? I have a Tandy leather shop I can go to but need to know what to ask for.

Yep. Just do the stitching by hand. It's cheap and not that hard. I once hand stitched my Jack Sparrow belt, which was a 100" long stitch line. It took 3 hours, but it got done.

You want to punch your holes first. Using two needles, one at each end of the thread, you do what is called a "saddle stitch". Tandy has some good instructional videos on their website, and there are tons on youtube to learn from. For the pouches, I used a lighter weight leather--2-3 or 4-5 oz. A heavier weight, like 8-9 oz is good for the belts.

Saddle stitch works. I prefer to use one needle and just turn around and go back at he end. It might take a little while longer, buy you stab yourself in the thumb a lot less.

Just spotted this thread today. Just wanted to mention about a pattern for the holster(think it may have come out in the last year and is sold through Tandy.
It's in the current 2014 Tandy catalog on page 160 #6015-20 & it's called 1911 100th Anniversary patterns by Will Ghormley. It has the WWI/WWII Pattern flap holster along with several other patterns for the Colt .45 auto.
He also has several patterns for the Hand of Gold rig for 3:10 to Yuma, the Johnny Ringo rig from Tombstone, and John Wayne's rig from El Dorado.
Not sure if this holster pattern was out when this thread was started, but hope this helps anyone working on this project now.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig

Did you ever get these printed up? I realize the post is over a year old but never saw anything further on the buckle.

A little progress today..

Drew up a rough working buckle in Paint. I'll be modeling it up in SketchUp later. I will try to get this printed in aluminum (see if that works first), then if that doesn't work I'll cast it in resin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Vash2290/Leather Work/BuckleConcept.png

While waiting on the new dye to get to me I figured I would go ahead and finish the pouch that was too dark. Came out okay but I noticed the top flap is about 1/2" too short so I will be correcting that in the next pouch I cut. Everything else came out great!

BTW I got my wifes sewing machine working. Look at those stitch lines!! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Vash2290/2012-04-08130934.jpg

What kind of sewing machine did you use? Was it like an old heavy duty one or just a standard sewing machine?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back