First Avenger belt and holster rig [COMPLETED 07MAY2012]

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 08APR2012]

That's very impressive! The construction and stitch lines look great! Good job on those :)

May I ask where you got your brass flap buttons?

Very impressive work.

Glad you approve NuRF :)

That's very impressive! The construction and stitch lines look great! Good job on those :)

May I ask where you got your brass flap buttons?

I was EXTREMELY happy with the stitch lines as well. So glad I got the sewing machine up and running. I don't mind hand stitching but I would hate to waste time on those decorative lines.

I got the brass hardware from Tandy Leather. I was suprised to find them there because I actually did a Google search for WWII style studs and those were the closest I could locate. $2 a piece I think.

So while I was gone I had my wife pay for the holster via paypal (couldn't find just a pattern so I bought one and will be stripping it down for the outlines).

Long story short, they mailed it to my Mississippi address?? Pretty sure I deleted that address a looong time ago. Either way, should get here this week. So theoretically I should have the pouches cut and sewn and the belt cut and grommets installed by time the dye and holster get here :D

Sneak peek ;)

2012-04-10224800.jpg

Holster came in. Finishing up the sewing for the pouches tomorrow. Then holster. I have to go pick up the leather dye from the post office tomorrow as well.

2012-04-13232157.jpg

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 14APR2012]

Looking good so far, and can't wait to see the holster :)

And thanks for the tip about thread tension... Turns out my needle was just backwards :lol

Belt is almost done. Still have to attach the L hook and dye it like everything else.
Finished the leg drop piece the holster connects to.

Threw on a pouch to show comparisons.

IMAG0007.jpg

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig [NEW PICS 15APR2012]

Man, this is looking awesome! If you start thinking about offering these in a run or by order let us know. I'd seriously be interested.

Great looking work.

Man, this is looking awesome! If you start thinking about offering these in a run or by order let us know. I'd seriously be interested.

Great looking work.

Not sure about doing a run yet. I took on this commission thinking I had a lot more time than I actually do. Between moving, training, dogs, a wife, and deployment coming up I'm slightly stretched for spare time.

Are you going to tool in the US logo as well?
I haven't quite decided how I was doing this yet. Thought about making a stamp out of clay and cast it in resin. Easy press on. But tooling seems to be the quickest and most cost effective option right now.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

For the stamp you could just cut the US out of thick styrene and press it in when the leather's wet.

Also, you should always dye and properly finish the leather before you sew it together. You're going to have some really rough edges on that pouch that can't be cleaned up now. It's also relevant if you're using white thread, which is pretty common in leather work.

For the stamp you could just cut the US out of thick styrene and press it in when the leather's wet.

Also, you should always dye and properly finish the leather before you sew it together. You're going to have some really rough edges on that pouch that can't be cleaned up now. It's also relevant if you're using white thread, which is pretty common in leather work.

Good idea about the styrene. I'll look into it.

I've had issues with leather gluing together properly after being dyed so I stopped dyeing it before gluing/sewing. Haven't run into any real issues YET (knock on wood). For the edges that I can't get a slicker on I use a boning tool to smooth them down. It might be the glue I'm using, or maybe the dye. The stitches are mostly for decoration anyways besides where most of the tension will be on the connected pieces.

Just a side note, I was shopping around for a leather sewing machine. WOW $2,500??? :cry

Yep. Just do the stitching by hand. It's cheap and not that hard. I once hand stitched my Jack Sparrow belt, which was a 100" long stitch line. It took 3 hours, but it got done.

I didn't say it wasn't challenging. If you want something to look good, you've gotta put in a lot of effort.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back