First Avenger belt and holster rig [COMPLETED 07MAY2012]

Sandman0077

Sr Member
I'm starting a build of Captain America's belt, pouches, and holster rig. Currently in the research phase of all the pieces. Stopping by the surplus store tomorrow to grab some stuff. Most of the hi-res pictures I am going by are from the 1/6th Action figure. It is incredibly detailed and screen accurate from what I can see. I will be making this out of leather and hand stitching it all.

IMG_0627-horz.jpg

captainamericacostume.jpg

The only issue now is the belt buckle. It appears to have a seat belt type of function, but I don't think I've seen it in use in the movie. Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited:
Re: First Avenger belt and holster rig

The pouches look to me like french ammo pouches. I don't know about the belt buckle but it is a cool looking one.

The pouches look to me like french ammo pouches. I don't know about the belt buckle but it is a cool looking one.

I will be custom making all the pieces, I was just wondering if there was any actual images or videos that show how the buckle operates. If not then I will just fabricate a working system.

Check out BROTHERFOSTER, he has made a non-opening version out of aircraft aluminum.

I am making it for another member and going for as screen accurate as possible. None of the costumes you can buy are near the quality we are going for.

I'm thinking of just making the buckle a solid piece like member BROTHERFOSTER made, but have it cover a regular WWII belt latch system, kind of like a shell if you will.

His holster is an easy one once you have the rest of the belt done... standard issue Colt WWII holster. You can grab a really nice/accurate version from Whatpriceglory, and it comes naked so you can dye it the timber brown really easily.

Yeah its a m1916 holster from what I've researched. I am buying one off of ebay to take apart and get the patterns for it so I can just make more if I sell more of these belts

Yeah its a m1916 holster from what I've researched. I am buying one off of ebay to take apart and get the patterns for it so I can just make more if I sell more of these belts
Tandy Leather has the holster kits, you could get one and then make the patterns from that:)

If you decide to sell em once you get it all sorted out count me in for one.:) Wont need a buckle as I'll be milling my own out but the leather work would be of great interest.

Seeing how this first one goes will be the deciding factor for if I do more. I probably will though. Alot of people could use them I see.

UPDATE

Located a reproduction holster that I am going to take apart and get a pattern from. The reason I'm not just ordering a holster is because I want the entire belt to match when it is dyed, and I'm afraid the holster won't match the rest unless it's made from the same piece of hide.

A little progress today..

Drew up a rough working buckle in Paint. I'll be modeling it up in SketchUp later. I will try to get this printed in aluminum (see if that works first), then if that doesn't work I'll cast it in resin.

BuckleConcept.png

Not sure how much luck you will have with aluminum or resin bending like that too often. Might do it a few times but really it should be nylon or something similar. What size is the belt going to be? As in the leather strap.
Might be better to make a thin shell and epoxy it onto a bought clip.

I thought about that and I will probably just get a shell made to cover a pre-bought buckle like you said. Idk yet, I got bored lol.

The buckle will be made to fit a 3" belt.

Well, the ones I attached are metal. But the arms would have to be thin to flex.

Or make them separate with springs.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back