First 3D Printer Project - 1/24 Scale X-Wing with my new Prusa Mini (Complete!).

I have this same 1/24 3D model and have been wondering how it looks printed out. Thanks so much for printing this and it looks good so far.

Thanks, its a heck of a build but it sure is a lot of fun researching and learning about the model.

I have been working on a few other projects but it's time to really get this X-Wing going.

I scaled back the engines to .20 to see if I could really tell much of a difference between .10 and .20. With the .20 layer height settings you do get "softer" lines on some of the panels but for these engines, it will work, nothing a small file can't fix. Other then that they look pretty close to the original prints I did.

20200711_202232.jpg

Using my 1:48 scale Bandai to compare as I get pieces on the printer, looks pretty spot on so far:

20200711_205538.jpg

Now I just have to print 3 more of the s-foils, which at .10 layer height is going to take about 4 days... Once I have that I am going to start designing some kind of armature and mount this model from the back like they would have done while using the model for somen shots at ILM. Pretty sure all my 1:24's are going to be wall-mounted so this one will be a good test.

20200711_205243.jpg

Finishing off the last few items (canons)! Now I need to start putting this together as soon as I figure out how to build a metal armature for it.

20200725_231713.jpg

Already planning my next few projects, here is a preview of one. Depending on how this X Wing turns out, next would be a 1/24th scale Tie Interceptor, it has always been my favorite Tie. If I am happy with the X Wing I will print it, if not I will just order the resin printed kit. I bought the files to start with.

20200725_232410.jpg

I will need to head to the local hardware store to get a different size for the aluminium rod, but this is a mock-up of how the armature will work. Seems like this part will go together pretty easily, it's a nice fit.

20200726_220648.jpg

20200726_220659.jpg

20200726_220717.jpg

Finally starting to assemble this model. A bit of sanding (okay, a lot of sanding) along with some filler primer and its looking super smooth. Just put a bit on to see if most of the print lines are gone.

20200801_143507.jpg

Working on the wings next and the back half of the fuselage now.

As soon as my scribing tool arrives I will attempt to scribe all the needed lines, this is where the project can really go south...

If anyone has any recommendations for a base coat color let me know. I really want to use something from a spray can, I have an airbrush but I am not good with laying down base coats of this size...

The two I had on hand were Testors Flat Light Aircraft Gray and Tamiya AS-20 (insignia white). I sprayed them both down, they are pretty close but the Tamiya is a bit brighter white. By the time I get done weathering it, it's probably not going to matter too much what base coat I use as long as it's close.

I will order the paint mid-next week so let me know if you have a suggestion (the Testors Enamel I can get in town).

Not that it matters for the base coat, but I am going for a paint job that 'matches' Red 2 as best I can. I am not getting any decals and that seems to be a paint job I can 'probably' pull off :)

Last edited:
Given the choice between the two, I would say Tamiya AS-20 over a black primer. Being a little bit "whiter" of a start I think will work better for weathering and oil washes which will darken it anyway. Plus I prefer Tamiya paints to Testors enamels. I have had issues sometimes with the Testors enamels where they can take days, weeks, or even months to not feel "tacky" to the touch

Although if going with Testors, I might suggest Camouflage Grey instead?

Last edited:
Given the choice between the two, I would say Tamiya AS-20 over a black primer. Being a little bit "whiter" of a start I think will work better for weathering and oil washes which will darken it anyway. Plus I prefer Tamiya paints to Testors enamels. I have had issues sometimes with the Testors enamels where they can take days, weeks, or even months to not feel "tacky" to the touch

Although if going with Testors, I might suggest Camouflage Grey instead?

Yes, I have had the same issues with Testors once in a while. Seems like it can go down amazing, or with certain types of plastics or primers (my guess anyway) not so much...

I think AS-20 is probably a good idea and yeah, in looking the Camo Grey does seem like a better match than the Light Gray, thanks for the info! I may snag the Camo and test it out if the stores here have it as I have to way several weeks for the AS-20.

Yes, I have had the same issues with Testors once in a while. Seems like it can go down amazing, or with certain types of plastics or primers (my guess anyway) not so much...

I think AS-20 is probably a good idea and yeah, in looking the Camo Grey does seem like a better match than the Light Gray, thanks for the info! I may snag the Camo and test it out if the stores here have it as I have to way several weeks for the AS-20.

The enamel Camo gray was discontinued a few years back, unfortunately. I think they still make the acrylic version. I've completely switched over to AS-20 for my Rebel ships. Seems to be a pretty good base color.

SB

Finally tracked down a brass rod the right size so that I can start building the armature. I learned a lot from my latest build, which is good as this a much more complex build.

Now that my TIE Interceptor is pretty much done I can get back to work on my x-wing.

Super excited to get a set of Jason's decals for this build also!

20200824_001002.jpg

Took a long break to build my TIE Interceptor and I am still waiting for the base to come in for that one. It's time to wrap this one up! I learned a lot on my Tie build and will likely build this X-Wing again as there are a lot of parts that I do not really like, and now that I have finished the TIE, I have learned a lot.

All glued up. I almost wrecked this part as I did not fully think through how the wings would interconnect. I had both parts glued up separately and at the last minute before the super glue cured I ripped one of the wings off the supports so I could first put it together and then glue the last one on :)

20200919_160253.jpg

The first coat of AS-20 is down for the fuselage. As soon as the glue fully cures for the wings those will be next.

20200919_201431.jpg

It's finally coming together. Took way more cans of AS-20 than I thought it would, I will need to increase the number I was going to buy for my 1/72 Falcon build.

Canopy has been a bit of a pain, it's a very fragile part to print in PLA, but I was able to get a good one. I am going to coat it in finishing resin just to add a bit of strength.

20200920_191406.jpg

Starting on the base...

20200920_172000.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back