Firefly - Deleted scene prop

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Very cool little prop that was seen on the DVD extras. Deleted scenes.

serenity_deleted033.jpg

serenity_deleted031.jpg

serenity_deleted035.jpg

Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool as well.

(Although, practically, if the memory rods are so small why can't they be incorporated into the unit so you don't have to swap them around? :))

Looks like a small three (or multiple) ring binder with the metal binders removed and I would imagine that the SFX were added later. Neat little prop, too bad it didn't make it into use.

Hi. Been lurking for a while, finally got a chance to register.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure this does appear in "War Stories" as well -- Simon's using it as he talks with Book about the psychopathic dictator/writer.

That is pretty sharp. I believe with the right knowledge, someone could probably duplicate a working version using a palm or pocket pc.... Hmmmm I have a spare palm..... but I am not that knowledgable...lol

Edit: Welcome to the RPF Kaylee.

On second thought, it is too big to use a palm or pocket pc for. I am going to look into those digital books that had been all the rage a year or two or three ago... This might actually be a found item...

e-book reader is the actual term I think.

It's done after production... The book is too thin and if you look under the top portion you can see that the area of shadow that should be illuminated by the "screen" is not.

As far as it actually being used in an episode? Possible, if it was I think you only see the backside and definately not a closeup like above. If someone has some caps to show it in the episode?

As far as it actually being used in an episode? Possible, if it was I think you only see the backside and definately not a closeup like above. If someone has some caps to show it in the episode?

I'm afraid my DVDs are out on loan and I've not got the proper screen capture software anyhow. :( However, after seeing that photo over on still-flying.net, the thing popped out at me when I saw the episode again.

As Simon and Book are discussing who did what to River's brain and why, we see Simon looking not only at the screen, but also at a something in his hands. In one shot, we see him closing up that unit and placing it on the counter -- the little data rod things are plainly visible for like half a second.

Anyhow... I'm more partial to Dobson's Cortex-hookup-blackberry thing... any ideas on that thing?

They also used that organizer on "Babylon 5", interestingly enough it was a medical prop. I remember it because I have one, although mine is silver. It is a SYMNOVA Organizer, no model number given. It has six rings, two card holders in the front cover, and single memo holder in the back cover. The space in the spine where the data rod goes is a pen slot. It is aluminium with plastic interior and hinges. It was a Christmas present from my Mother back in 95.

There is a stick-on tag on the back inside cover:

BRKSTN ITEM # 174276
MADE IN TAIWAN
R.O.C.

I hope this helps.

David.

Okay it's offical, I'm an idiot. I was looking at the orginizer and found this inside one of the card holders.

PAT. NO.:
U.S.A. 5,108,212
TAIWAN 72,981

GERMANY G93 01 484.8
CHINA 93099

I'm pretty sure I may have one of those somewhere in a box maybe as we're in the midst of moving soon. I'll have to wait for the unpacking, unless someone finds these available in amounts smaller than 600.

I just found one on ebay.. the search terms I used were "aluminum" and "planner" if that helps. It's also silver... kinda pretty actually.

Anyhow.. I couldn't find that -- or any -- brand name on this one. Just a "made in china" label.

Here's some other angles of the thing --

cover.jpg

back.jpg

emptyascomes.jpg

emptyguts.jpg

The containers on the left hand side are marked for business cards (top and bottom) and "accessories." They look like they open, but I can't quite figure out how yet, and I don't want to risk cracking the plastic.

I'm planning on leaving it silver and turning it into a similar notepad computer to Simons, though without the medical bent... just say it was another year's release. :)

So.. perhaps one of those electroluminescent sheets already mentioned, with a transparency graphic over it? I can handle making a graphic easily enough, but any ideas on the background lighting? It looks like the calculator unit should pull free pretty easy.. again, once I figure out how to do it without cracking the surrounding plastic.

-K

(PS -- the screws that hold the planner part in are necessary -- they tighten the front and back of the spine tight so as to keep the covers from flopping around.. prolly replace those with shorter hex screws.

Actually the medical bent is just for that episode (i.e. it has the medical stick in it). Don't think there is any good pics, but in "Our Mrs. Renyolds" Book asks Simon if he has an encyclopedia, and then they come back Book reads from a small book about wedding ceromonies.

Granted, I think it's just fow the doc's got his set up -- it seems most every stick he's got in there but the encyclopedia is medical related. Anyhow, I'm going for more of a "junior Kaylee/kid of the ''verse" kinda look.

To that end, while I've not done anything to the inside yet, I made up some Kaylee-esque "shiny stickers" for the shell. Also stuck some on my "Mark V" PAL, since I have yet to track down the real thing. Hey, it's close, right? :)

stickers2.jpg

stickers3.jpg

Anyhow, I'll prolly put those stickers up on CafePress or som'n for the browncoats over on Joss' site. There's a few others I didn't bother to cut out, but those are the good ones one there.

The bank label I just printed on a T-shirt transfer and ironed it onto a bag I made.
The Chinese on that one at least is right -- one of my coworkers is from China and was kind enough to translate it for me. The stickers are babelfish generated, but since they're all simple words ('love' 'flowers' 'butterflies' 'pretty song') I figure they're pretty close.

I have a grpahic mostly done for the inside -- I just haven't even thought about making the lightbox for it yet what with Christmas projects for several friends.

If anyone gets a lead on another one of these popping up, please let me know via PM. I have been searching myself, but keep missing them.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back