Finishing Resin ,ie smmothing painting etc

Jordanbellamy

Before , i start anything, just want find out more about certain areas like, if the bought resin cast needs to be finished/cleaned up , bumps holes , ie smoothing lines & crisp edges, will the resin be better sanded , use filler , sand , then primered & painted etc.

ive used resin before but , but not by filling , sanding , primer, then painting etc.

i was thinking sanding the resin , will make it less shiny (and smooth surface) for maybe applying filler (if needed) or just before primer & paint etc.

If you're talking about buying a raw resin kit or cast of something and finishing it yourself, then no, don't sand it. Tiny pits and bubbles are caused by the seller not pressure casting and sanding those off will surely cause more to show. For those casts you'll have to individually fill the pits with a sculpting putty and sanding those areas smooth. Hopefully very detailed parts are bubble free, that's always a headache to fix. After fixing the pinholes etc, lightly prime the surface with a good primer, avoid over spraying because it's a good idea to gently wet sand each primed layer so you get the best surface finish. Do this for about 3-4 light coats. Then spray your final coat using the same method. Hope this helps, I'm not the best in painting so hopefully others can chime in as well.

If you're talking about buying a raw resin kit or cast of something and finishing it yourself, then no, don't sand it. Tiny pits and bubbles are caused by the seller not pressure casting and sanding those off will surely cause more to show. For those casts you'll have to individually fill the pits with a sculpting putty and sanding those areas smooth. Hopefully very detailed parts are bubble free, that's always a headache to fix. After fixing the pinholes etc, lightly prime the surface with a good primer, avoid over spraying because it's a good idea to gently wet sand each primed layer so you get the best surface finish. Do this for about 3-4 light coats. Then spray your final coat using the same method. Hope this helps, I'm not the best in painting so hopefully others can chime in as well.

Thanks for the info , thats a good start to think about , lets just see when it arrives :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info , thats a good start to think about , lets just see when it arrives :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back