Done / Completed Fifth Element Mangalore "Kounan" character bust small run

I will think about a plaque or something like a base but for now
the offer is for the complete head only.

I understand, but just asking/hoping, and I know if you did whip something up it would be additional. Looking forward to it! I've always wanted a mangalore bust, prefer a closed mouth one personally but this is awesome all the same!

After receiving mines I could make a stand that is proper for it for the guys/gals on the run if mangalore doesn’t want too?

That would be great :) It's a display piece for me so I definetely want it to look the part!

I understand, but just asking/hoping, and I know if you did whip something up it would be additional. Looking forward to it! I've always wanted a mangalore bust, prefer a closed mouth one personally but this is awesome all the same!
I for myself use (for now) a sturdy cardboard roll as a base for display.
Of course a stylish base would be nice but it simple lacks of time to make one now.
2 another Mangalore heads wait for a repair work and they will really be a time consuming pain in the axx.

I will make a nice plaque and leave the base up to you if this is ok for you. :)

Last edited:
Ok guys with mangalores permission I started a thread for the bust if you are interested please post it on there so I can keep track of those interested. I am just trying to see those interested and from there i can start the design and creation of the bust which will include lights (and maybe lights controlled by Alexa)

Mangalore bust small run stand
Limited Run - Mangalore bust small run stand

A first update......

Maybe you know the situation when you want to copy a simple resin cast and it get worse and worse.
The earpiece i bought years ago was good for to use on a display but when i checked
if and how i could cast it there were a lot of scratches.
I sanded them and then a thick layer of paint broke of and under the paint there was a resin part full of bubbles.
So i had to strip down the hole thing and this started a pain in the a.. restoration.
filling - sanding - grounding - find more flaws - again filling - sanding and many times so on.
This is nervs and time consuming.
The good thing is ... i dont give up until the part is "nearly perfect" for casting.

Although the inside of the earpiece is not visible when mounted somebody at the production team of the Fifth Element wanted it high detailed. This was the worst part with the most bubbles and flaws. Now it looks good and i can mold it ;-)

4.jpg
3.jpg
;)

When someone heat up a oven in the middle of a very hot summer
he is a poor cook or maybe a model builder who wants to vacuum form a master piece … :D

The Mangalore goggles are tricky.
First I thought they were casted completely in some resin material but after examining a lot of original pictures i now think they are made of a vacuum formed shell reinforced with a epoxy frame. And they were made very sloppy, with bent and twisted shells as can be seen in many pictures.

I will go with my goggles very close to the original make but without the mistakes were made.
1.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
Great work!!!! Also a little story if you don’t know. They had to make the googles because make up was taking over an hour per person and the costume designer recommended “we can just make sunglasses” in a joking manner, and the director said let’s do it!

It is always a big difference if you make a one off item or make/construct it for a run.
Even if it would be then only a amount of 5 or so ... ;)
The molds are made and the castings are better than expected, they are flawless.
Just made a fast fitting test and it turns out really good.

4.jpg

Never change a running system (or working material) ........

I had a lot to do to prepare the teeth for molding.
And i had the idea to use silicon from a new seller.
2 days after molding i realized that this new silicon is crap, it simply hardened in super slow motion.
I guess i would have had to wait 1-2 weeks or so for a complete hardening.

So i decided to remove the sticky remains of the silicon what took a full day. o_O

3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back