Fennec Shand Reconnaissance Drone

soswow

I've modelled, build, painted, lighted up a Reconnaissance Drone from 4th episode of The Book of Boba Fett.
Files are free available here Download free 3MF file Fennec Shand Reconnaissance Drone • 3D printer design ・ Cults

From the episode:
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.46.19 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.49.07 pm.jpg

My Model:
Fennec Drone v2.jpg

Build pictures:
PXL_20220121_031606387.jpg

PXL_20220122_010021345.jpg

PXL_20220122_010119495.jpg

PXL_20220122_035902766.jpg

PXL_20220122_040730979.jpg

PXL_20220122_093635144.jpg

PXL_20220122_105342143.jpg

PXL_20220122_110008310.jpg

PXL_20220122_215122676.jpg

PXL_20220123_023938238.jpg

PXL_20220123_025035945.jpg

PXL_20220123_080023747.jpg

That’s great. Love the little guy.

I do think you should have left the eyes black. I think the gold-ish tones you are seeing are just reflections of its own lights.

Last edited:
Wonderful work !
Isn't it too small ?
I've used my best (and very quick) judgment. It can be scaled up. How big do you think it should be?

That’s great. Love the little guy.

I do think you should have left the eyes black. I think the gold-ish tones you are seeing are just reflections of its own lights.
Oh. Interesting. It is possible! Maybe we will see some actual prop pics from behind the scene.

Difficult to gage size/scale looking at the hand vs prop. A woman's hand is, generally, smaller than a man's. So if you compare your hand size with your printed prop; it'll look smaller. I'll say it's the proper size, until you have clear measurement of the actress's hand;)

Really cool, I knew this was small, didn’t it fit in the stock of her sniper riffle. Maybe that is based on a real world gun, you could use that as a size comparison?

I have questions about your wiring - are those magnets?? How do you stop them stick to the wrong con ruins and shorting??

I’d love one of these little fellows in metal, I know it’s just cgi but I wonder if there is some found part, kind of reminds me of a tea diffuser, hmm

I looked at some screen caps for size. It looks pretty small so I don't have any reason to doubt your original sizing.

My first print used the stl files that had supports. I think removing the supports removed the ridges in the edges that help lok them into place. They are gone and the contact surface is marred. I am printing the 3mf files with my own supports and placement. Let's see how that works out.

This looks awesome, nice work! The surface indentations on the original look slightly more rectangular to me and less like the pill shapes on the 3D model. Like a smaller corner radius.

It would be cool to structure the 3D print so that you could snap in glass marbles from the inside of the shell for the 'eyes'.

oh wow. so much stuff happened here!
It seems to me that each led should be at the center of a recessed trapezoidal shape to be accurate
Do you mind sharing pictures where you can see that + maybe some diagram of what you mean? I am happy to add more accuracy to the model.

The surface indentations on the original look slightly more rectangular to me and less like the pill shapes on the 3D model. Like a smaller corner radius.
Yes, you might be right. I was doing it in Fusion with history turned on so I can modify these things easily. I will take another look.

It would be cool to structure the 3D print so that you could snap in glass marbles from the inside of the shell for the 'eyes'.
The only fear I have - there will be too little material right on the edge of the circle.

My first print used the stl files that had supports. I think removing the supports removed the ridges in the edges that help lok them into place. They are gone and the contact surface is marred. I am printing the 3mf files with my own supports and placement. Let's see how that works out.
Why would you use supported STLs for FDM printing? Those are for SLA printing. Good people include those because supporting resin printing takes time.

Really cool, I knew this was small, didn’t it fit in the stock of her sniper riffle. Maybe that is based on a real world gun, you could use that as a size comparison?

I have questions about your wiring - are those magnets?? How do you stop them stick to the wrong con ruins and shorting??

I’d love one of these little fellows in metal, I know it’s just cgi but I wonder if there is some found part, kind of reminds me of a tea diffuser, hmm
It's a great idea to use the real stock for that!
Yes, those are magnets. Magnets are glued to cups on opposite sides, so they will not stick to the wrong sides. I've used magnets as switches + to hold cups together =) So when the part is together - it is turned on. In general, don't think too much about what I did. I was experimenting with a silly idea. It would have been better, to have a switch at the top, since I believe Fennec presses one of the poles to activate it anyway.

While you all here, I've made a short video demoing what I end with:

Why would you use supported STLs for FDM printing? Those are for SLA printing. Good people include those because supporting resin printing takes time.
Mainly because I have only been 3D printing since last June and for the most part, I only have been dealing with STL files. A lot of what you just said does not make sense to me because I am still not up on all the terminology. When I saw the STL files, I naturally went for those. I know it is not unusual for designers to include supports for filament printing too to be helpful. I did not know if I could utilize the 3mf files until I tried this morning after the STL issues.

Anyhow, I really like the design. It looks great to me. I need to figure out what I am going to do for the lights. Not something I have done before.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back