FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

too frolicky and excited to get much done in the workshop

Yeah, I get that way when I airbrush without a mask. :wacko

For real protection and an integrated visor at a price how about a Gentex or for a budget a Protec?

Edit: It took a nights sleep but how about a hockey helmet with an oakley visor? It would provide protection, relatively inexpensive, vacuum formed parts could be easily attached and could get one fitted in Raleigh.

Last edited:
Edit: It took a nights sleep but how about a hockey helmet with an oakley visor? .

The main issue will be that neck guard on the costume. It is higher in the back than the front, though the hockey design does seem to have the back part a little higher than other helmet models.

At 5'3, a lot of helmets would also make me look even shorter in photos, due to the bobble-head effect. I may just have to custom build it and forego the functionality.

I am a bit surprised to see a picture showing that much of your studio without your cat popping up somewhere.

I just had the shop vac running, so, she immediately lost interest in that part of the house.

The ab armor should be pretty much goof-proof by now. This strip was (not delicately) sewn and glued to the top, to keep those side scales from overlapping the rim of the chest armor.

This is one of the parts on my costume where I felt industrial velcro was simplest and adequate, while unlikely to cause issues.

I'm going to try the FB page thing. I anticipate that my new job will keep me extremely busy all year, but ESPECIALLY in the next 2 months. And being able to post random mini-progress as I go will hopefully help keep my hobby alive in the midst of chaos.

I will still post updates here, and stream photos to my flickr, but as you may have noticed it's taking me a while to update.

I *just* made this on Saturday, so nothing fascinating to check out yet, but here it is for future reference. I'm not really a FB spammer to begin with.

https://www.facebook.com/Freyawillia

Agreed, yay page! Bookmarking to log in as my page and add you :) It is helpful and encouraging especially when you can post from your phone while in the middle of said chaos :)

Custom helmet building can be fun, especially for the tiny helmet look. My Shae Vizla helmet squishes my nose but even so it's relatively bobble headed. Do you have a head cast?

Industrial velcro is the shiznit. Even speaking as a snobby historical costumer ;) Pretty sure if it's good enough for various real world applications it'll still be around for Shep' ;)

Do you have a head cast?

Industrial velcro is the shiznit. Even speaking as a snobby historical costumer ;)

No head cast, not sure the way I will go about it, probably use scaled blueprints from mug shots wearing the neck guard/top half of the armor. That way I can be sure the design would have minimal contact with the neck guard in at least a normal head position.

I'm totally okay with velcro when I know it wont be seen, and when it will not budge. It's hard to meet both those requirements though.

This is what some heat-tool weathering looks like, with a bit of black acrylic and powdered charcoal brushed on it to figure out how dark I'd like it to be (so it can be washed off easily in case I go further and it looks like too much).

I love how this project has become so insanely detail oriented. The weathering looks good, but I'd venture a guess you won't be completely happy until someone invents a working Geth shotgun and actually shoots your armor so it has that one last completely authentic touch. ;)

Also, totally not a FB creeper (regardless of what those restraining orders would have you believe), but your page has at least one more like. Keep up the great work!

So...when are you going to reveal your working kinetic barriers?

Also I'm insanely jealous of your workspace. And your mannequins.

Also also, your FB page is made of win.

I'd venture a guess you won't be completely happy until someone invents a working Geth shotgun and actually shoots your armor so it has that one last completely authentic touch. ;)

Or, OR! Or if it collected genuine, extra-terrestrial dust and scratches being dragged behind the Curiosity, and they Amazon Prime'd it back to me. Pretty sure space shipping is free:

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 10.05.03 PM.png

I have loved every update of this build and I shared your page on my own Facebook fanpage, you deserve way more than 22 followers !

Thanks for the likes everyone!!! Will say I'm definitely more of a quality vs quantity when it comes to interwebs audience.... as my last FB post will suggest :D

Aside from minor comfort issues, securing a few last bits, and electronics, this suit is pretty much done with the building. It's taken so long it's kind of hard to realize there isn't some giant piece I still have to throw on a vac-former or requiring me to bake my hands under a heat gun.

I love this build, your atention to detail is astounding. Best Shep armor I've seen. And congrats on the near-completion.

I would happily take any sashes or crowns offered.

Doing a bit more detail on some parts of the costume with the weathering, for example, the arms. The only part of the suit that *I* will be able to see effectively while wearing it is the fore-arms/hands, and maybe legs. So there can be no neglected areas here. I'll be staring at my arm when I reach for an elevator button, or a beverage, and it better look like my limb is ready for a cinematic close-up every time.

Feeling pretty confident about my electronics skills, because recently my job training required me to do this highly technical, advanced circuit. I looked at some directions. It had colors and shapes.

electronics.JPG

weaponmount1.jpg weaponmount2.jpg

Ok, so damn close to the finish line, and this is reeeeeeeeeally getting put on the back burner with my job. Sigh.

I'm happy to say my circuit ideas appear to be working. I have ordered this awesome plastic "light pipe" from sparkfun, which is just a glorified tube with a white opaque core - and it is a nice substitute for EL wire. The plan is to use 3-4 LEDs in either of the two weapon mounts (in those pics it is just the two LEDs on either end), and a few for the circle in the middle.

I originally wanted to use the Lillypad tiny LEDs for the hand pieces, and some conductive thread, but now I'm not so sure how to sew that up without the positive/negative stitches accidentally making contact and shorting. It's a glove, and fingers sometimes touch eachother. The only thing would be to somehow sew layers in the glove, so that the positive/negative stitches of conductive thread are not sharing the same fabric. I liked sewing that glove about as much as I enjoy sanding. I really want those kind of details in my costume, but they are adding another dimension of ++++forever, for this thing to be officially done.

I kind of want my life back? Like, weekends where I do nothing?

Dammit, no. My friends are going but they had no room for me. To complicate things I have still not received my first paycheck. AWA and NYCC are officially off the table for 2013.

Nothing like being nearly complete with a year+ long costume and missing ALL the relatively local opportunities to wear it in public for probably another 12 months. I really had fun at AWA last year too even though I stayed for just a few hours. That weekend is going to be a sore spot for me when it arrives.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back