FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

I wonder if you could use really strong neodymium magnets in the back armor and on the gun? In game they just kind of look like they are hanging on there. I always assumed it was something with the mass effect fields used on the armor that held the guns on.

I wonder if you could use really strong neodymium magnets in the back armor and on the gun? In game they just kind of look like they are hanging on there. I always assumed it was something with the mass effect fields used on the armor that held the guns on.

I helped a friend with a foam Buster Sword for a Cloud cosplay and we used rare earth magnets in this way. It worked beautifully and had this awesome "CLICK" when he put the sword on his back.

I helped a friend with a foam Buster Sword for a Cloud cosplay and we used rare earth magnets in this way. It worked beautifully and had this awesome "CLICK" when he put the sword on his back.

I've though about doing a mount rig for the rifle. The only thing I'm not sure about is the weight of the rifle affecting how the chest + neck guard stay in position. They basically use the under armor straps - which are elastic. The rifle is heavy enough to pull all of that down to my waist, or up to my chin, who knows how the physics of that might actually work. I will probably at least try something once the parts are fully assembled.

Ooh, yeah, armor being pulled in funny directions is never fun. Considering how form fitting this is it could get dangerous, or VERY uncomfortable in the least. For Cloud we just used the pauldron strap and hid the magnets in there. The pauldron had extra straps hiding underneath, running around his shoulder/deltoid so that it couldn't shift if it tried.

These little "channels" I put on the sides of the ab plates really cut down on the side to side movement, at least from what I can tell. This was necessary because they kept overlapping the belt. Not as nifty and shifty as they were, but, less chance things getting tangled when I move with that belt.

I hand sewed 12 snaps today before I decided enough is enough, for now. These pairs are pretty decent at holding the spine templates against my back, though I need one large snap centered on the lower half for it to follow the curve of a spine in standing position.

There will be a fit-test of this waist area nonsense tomorrow, and I'll try to leave myself time for a good picture.

Off topic: Many of you who read through this whole thing will recall earlier this year a bad accident happened to my now-former roomate. I got some very thoughtful and kind PMs, so I wanted to let you all know he's being a total badass and doing well - flying all over the country now for Paralympic training and testing.

racetrain.jpg

Mostly, I am glad he is back to his disciplined yet candy-horfing self. :love

I'm not *quite* as much of a badass, I just pretend.

This is not the full suit, you will notice after a second or two. Once the belt, weapon mounts, and boots are finished, this will pretty much be ready for a photoshoot... though its hard to imagine doing much without that rifle being put together.

Great update. "Lead the way!"

With the suit being near complete when's the charity jump? Or if that's a Bridge to Far how about a fund raising calendar?

sweet deal was wondering about your old roomie, glad to hear he is out and about.
and....still loving this build you look great in the last pic!

Snaps!!! They allow for swiveling too :) Going to be using quite a few myself :) Ugh. Handsewing them sucks as well- did you find your thread getting shredded? I may be just buying cheaper snaps though, but pricey thread (Metrosene).

Looking great!

Great update. "Lead the way!"

With the suit being near complete when's the charity jump? Or if that's a Bridge to Far how about a fund raising calendar?

I actually have an opportunity to jump in 2 weeks if the weather is nice - wont be wearing the costume, not until I get some good photos of it finished. This will also determine if I'm brave/stupid enough to jump in the future wearing a modified version - without puking.

Snaps!!! They allow for swiveling too :) Going to be using quite a few myself :) Ugh. Handsewing them sucks as well- did you find your thread getting shredded? I may be just buying cheaper snaps though, but pricey thread (Metrosene).

Looking great!

Those snaps.... are nearly a dollar each. They hold very well and don't have sharp edges though.

Btw anyone who likes Game of Thrones should check out my new thread. It's about time I picked up another project!

9413213540_7443303849_n.jpg

I'm always impressed with your progress whenever I check the thread. The range of motion in the previous page is quite nice too....also I like how your cat seems to always sneak itself in your progress pics somehow ;)

Okay, mine are about the same to maybe I have just had bad luck ;) I think I'mm just grab some sand paper for the next round :)

And off to check out Melisandre :)

I like how your cat seems to always sneak itself in your progress pics somehow ;)

She can tell when I am focusing on something, and likes to position herself accordingly :)

Working on clearcoating some of my armor *FINALLY*

First I used a coat of Testors transparent red over my stripe. You can compare this picture of the armor to the photo above where I have no gloss coat or anything on top of the acrylic. Having a clear coat with a red tint really made this vibrant.

Going to buff some of the bubbles off and clear coat it with Testors clear lacquer.

Then I'll be putting the whole suit on one of my mannequins and adding some final weathering touches that don't necessarily need to be protected by the final coat.

While I've been learning embroidery software for my other thread, I'm also working on leveling up my camera/video editing skills. Since most people won't see this in person, as I don't do conventions very often... and that's kind of sad... some HD video-blogs are going to happen in the near future. If it could stop storming every afternoon at 3PM-8PM that would probably speed things along, because lightning and thunder are just a bit overdramatic for clips about my space armor.

lightning and thunder are just a bit overdramatic for clips about my space armor.

Perfect for Firebase Hazard Giant though. Or maybe just claim that it is the Collectors.

I really like the effect of the red clearcoat, thanks for that tip. It might be useful if I ever get around to pepping Master Chief's Helmet.

I've been following this thread silently for a while.

SO. AWESOME.

Can't wait to see it finished, you make a totally badass Shepard! :D

This suit is absolutely gorgeous. I especially like the omniblade. I wish I had access to a laser cutter now.

I love seeing ME builds. I have a pipe dream to do a Quarian suit or Mordin.

Are there plans for a helmet?

Are there plans for a helmet?

I've been following this thread silently for a while.

SO. AWESOME.

Can't wait to see it finished, you make a totally badass Shepard! :D

Thanks guys! Yes, I will be doing a helmet. Or some kind of visor. Might attempt both at the same time. I've been looking out for any helmets I could use as a base and just modify with styrene and my carbon fiber vinyl, but no such luck with that so far (if I could ski with an n7 helmet replica and legitimately protect my brain, that'd be awesome). I'd need a very small, possibly child's size to work with most likely... but ordering that without trying it on first is bleh.

Life is good. I got a job offer! Finally, but all that waiting was worthwhile.

No fascinating pics to show you yet, but I did clean my studio. I'm counting my blessings right now - excellent job offer, amazing house with studio, two awesome roomates. I don't usually gloat about my life but it has never been this satisfying all at once. I'm too frolicky and excited to get much done in the workshop at the moment.

Congratulations on the job offer! I hope that you enjoy your job.

I am a bit surprised to see a picture showing that much of your studio without your cat popping up somewhere.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back