Favorite NES/SNES games of all time?

Maelstrom

Sr Member
I have just recently started on to a kick of playing some vintage games. Kind of going back and picking up a few games that I wanted as a kid, but couldn't get.

So far I've picked up Super Mario 2 and 3, Contra, and Super Punch out on SNES (had MT punchout on NES and always loved that one)

So give me some ideas of what to look for. The Angry Video Game Nerd lets me know which ones to stay away from :lol

What ones did you absolutely love growing up?

I didn't have either growing up (most of my gaming was on the Atari 2600, the Sega Genesis, and the C64) but I did have some NES/SNES favorites when I went over to my friends' houses.

Contra
Super Mario World
LoZ: A Link to the Past
Super Mario RPG
Dragon Warrior

and of course, Super Mario Bros. :)

Super Mario (of course)
Legend of Zelda
Castlevania
Ring King (I loved knocking the person up in the air and out of the ring! LOL)
Mega Man (Great music!)
Contra - Jeez, i still remember that boss with the swirling tentacles with the lit up weak points.

F1 Exhaust heat....Mode 7 scaling gone nuts, but a fun game, with some pretty silly driver names......Ayrton Sendup was one i believe, and it could have been Nigel Manson, but i cant be sure, it was a long time ago lol.

The Star Wars trilogy, really good platformers IMO.

Streetfighter II....in any guise, i slay this game lol.

Always loved this machine, the ONLY Nintendo i did truly love!

lee

Oh, get yourself a PC Engine, ive had a Core and SuperGraphx for a long time, there great to jump on some really old school, harcore vintage, and not too spendy.

lee

What ones did you absolutely love growing up?

pong.gif

A link to the past is still in my opinion the greatest Zelda game they've ever made with Ocarina of time in second place. I can't recommend them enough.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Double Dragon, Super Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II Turbo, Blades of Steel. Man I could go on, they were both amazing systems.

Hell, I still have an NES sitting in my parents basement somewhere, I should dig it out and replace the connector on it.

When I was a teenager, I used to work at McDonald's part time. We had a SNES set up in the breakroom and on every break, we'd be sitting there playing Street Fighter. We did a couple of tourneys as well. You really learn how cheap some coworkers can be when you hear hadouken 80 times in a single round.

Never had a NES, I threw my chips in with Sega and the Master System, but got a SNES as soon as they hit the shops. So much goodness on that little grey slab

Legend of Zelda - A link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Mario Kart
Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken)
Super Metroid

On the NES, I really loved/hated Blaster Master. Game was impossible. Super Mario Brothers 3 is still one of the best games ever made.

For SNES, obviously Link to the Past and ChronoTrigger are the heavy favorites here.

I really loved Uniracers, but I think I'm the only person on the planet that actually played that game.

If you want a game that's amazing but will make you want to rip out your hair and throw the controller at the TV, grab battletoads.

Battletoads turned into a different game for my brothers and I when we figured out you could beat each other up.

If you want a game that's amazing but will make you want to rip out your hair and throw the controller at the TV, grab battletoads.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back