Fathom Events

Couple of things:

Reminder that Dr. No is today.

And Jaws is coming to IMAX starting September 2nd.

1982 was one helluva summer for movies!
Strangely enough…the one that was the “biggest deal” at the time: E.T. is only very rarely talked about, anymore, while the one that was crushed in the stampede at the box office: Blade Runner seems to be the one most talked about, now.

People who were not around in ‘82 have no idea how big E.T. was—it was a phenomenon in 1982 and the long-necked alien was literally seen, EVERYWHERE.

0DF00CE8-2196-4CB3-A008-91E52FA2BDB9.jpeg

It’s very strange what time can do…

Yeah but remember ET was family friendly which is why it blew out the Box office that summer

Blade Runner literally was gone if you blinked that summer, I think it was gone in 2 weeks where I was at the time.

Wrath of Khan was a HUGE deal to a LOT of people.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Thing, Conan The Barbarian, it was a great summer to catch a flick!

Interesting isn't it? Time is indeed strange that way. I was thinking about that as I was walking out of the theater after having watched it the other day. E.T. was as big, or perhaps even bigger than Star Wars, for the time it was in theaters and now it's hardly, if ever, brought up or mentioned in any way compared to other films of that era. And you know what? I'm happy about that. I would rather it quietly settle into memory with the occasional anniversary screening celebrating its brilliance rather than become another over-marketed, milked dry, corrupted franchise like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Interesting isn't it? Time is indeed strange that way. I was thinking about that as I was walking out of the theater after having watched it the other day. E.T. was as big, or perhaps even bigger than Star Wars, for the time it was in theaters and now it's hardly, if ever, brought up or mentioned in any way compared to other films of that era. And you know what? I'm happy about that. I would rather it quietly settle into memory with the occasional anniversary screening celebrating its brilliance rather than become another over-marketed, milked dry, corrupted franchise like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Agreed…with every franchise, everyone can point to a time when they have gone to the well too much and ruined what they had created. They ultimately don’t stop making franchise films until they destroy the franchise.

E.T. Is one of those rare ones that resisted the temptation to go to the well again and was allowed to be a self-contained story….which should have been the case with The Matrix, Independence Day, Predator, and I suspect, Avatar.

In a parallel dimension, somewhere, a 10th sequel is being released…

Title: E.T. Part 10: The Vengeance of Gertie.

Tagline: This Time, No One Is Phoning Home…

Last edited:
Agreed…with every franchise, everyone can point to a time when they have gone to the well too much and ruined what they had created. They ultimately don’t stop making franchise films until they destroy the franchise.

E.T. Is one of those rare ones that resisted the temptation to go to the well again and left it as a self-contained story….which should have been the case with The Matrix, Independence Day, Predator, and I suspect, Avatar.
I think the main reason why it was left alone is Steven Spielberg. He's way more protective of his films than his contemporaries are of theirs. Jaws had sequels but that's really it. Even Back to the Future which he produced has miraculously survived the dreaded reboot although that's just as much as due to Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis hard-line stance against it. I don't count Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park as those weren't his creations.

Last edited:
ET was and always will be a special Movie for me, I have only seen it 3 times.

My Wife and I saw it in May of 1982 at a special Preview, after the Movie as we were walking to the car it was an amazing sunset like something out of CE3K the colors were so vivid and breath taking, like ET’s ship was coming in for a landing.

It was a magical time that day and night which I will never froget….

I think the main reason why it was left alone is Steven Spielberg. He's way more protective of his films than his contemporaries are of theirs. Jaws had sequels but that's really it. Even Back to the Future which he produced has miraculously survived the dreaded reboot although that's just much as due to Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis hard-line stance against it. I don't count Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park as those weren't his creations.
Well the “Berg“ did replace guns with walkie talkies in one scene and was given hell about it so he did mess with it ala George L but he rellized he had made a mistake and corrected himself saying he would never “mess’ with his Movies again

Well the “Berg“ did replace guns with walkie talkies in one scene and was given hell about it so he did mess with it ala George L but he rellized he had made a mistake and corrected himself saying he would never “mess’ with his Movies again
Oh gosh, yeah I don't know what the hell he was thinking. He did realize his mistake though like you said.
ET was and always will be a special Movie for me,
Me too :). That movie is incredible. It's such a small, simple film but it managed to have more heart and charm than anything before or since. When you think of great acting performances, you almost never think of children yet Spielberg got so much out of those kids. Do I even need to mention the cinematography or Williams' iconic score? Elliot and E.T. silhouetted against the moon gives me goosebumps every time. Watching it this time in IMAX was especially enjoyable. In a way, it was like watching it for the first time.

I admit I get very sentimental watching it. I didn't get to see it in theaters in '82 (I was all of a year old at the time) but I grew up with it and so much of that movie mirrors my own childhood (minus an extra terrestrial of course :lol:). I was kind of a loner kid too who didn't have many friends and clung to my older brother. I had a lot of those same toys that were in the movie and any kid who grew up in an LA county suburb in the 70's, 80's, and 90's will tell you that's EXACTLY what it looked like; neighborhoods nestled along the foothills with new tracts being built around you. It was a great time.
My Wife and I saw it in May of 1982 at a special Preview, after the Movie as we were walking to the car it was an amazing sunset like something out of CE3K the colors were so vivid and breath taking, like ET’s ship was coming in for a landing.

It was a magical time that day and night which I will never froget….
I loved the weird feeling when you catch a late afternoon showtime and it's still daylight and by the time the movie is finished it's nighttime. It's like you were transported to another world for 2 hours and when you "got back" to the real world, it had moved on without you making it genuinely feel like you had actually left it.

I caught Dr. No the other night and after the movie, for some inexplicable reason, they had a vignette about Daniel Craig becoming the new 007. I thought to myself, I'm here for Sir Sean Connery -THE James Bond, not Daniel Craig -"James Bland".

I don’t think it’s fathom but catching Jaws in Imax locally next week.
Correct. It's not Fathom. And it's going to be in theaters for at least a week as opposed to the one or two day showings of Fathom.

I'm looking forward to it too. I've never seen Jaws in the theater.

Who all is going to see Wrath of Khan this coming week? My wife and I are meeting two of my friends and their tag alongs on Thursday night. I’m looking forward to it. TWOK is so much fun to rewatch. Plus my two friends are major classic Trek fans. Should be a blast!

Well, I guess national Cinema Day was a huge success. I was perusing my local theater's showtimes and half the screenings are mostly sold. I was happy to see Top Gun: Maverick and Jaws are sold out! I guess people do still like to go to the movies. I wanted to go watch something tonight but when it's a crowded audience, I don't go. I wouldn't mind seeing Jaws with a crowd though. That might be interesting.

Actually there is a late night showing of The Blob. That's right, you read that correctly, The Blob 1958 with Steve McQueen is back in theaters.

Some classic Universal horror movies coming in October:

Also, I just happened to notice by chance that Cinemark Theatres are going to be showing Batman '89, Returns, and Mask of the Phantasm this Saturday. Apparently it's Batman day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back