Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Pre-release) Newt Scamander costume

His name is Alex, and the label is VINTOS boots. I have this suspicion they are Mexican cobblers and operate under a USA shipping and billing address because their location is so close to the border. I always picture the movie COCO when I think of it=).

I've been wearing them to work for about 6-7months now and they are super comfy, and breath really well as they are leather lined plus I wear bamboo socks in them (I live in QLD Australia and it gets pretty hot here, so anything past the ankle HAS to breath).

I wasn't deeply sold on the colour, so I used Saphire Decapant to strip back the colour, and then worked in 'Kelly's Lynn Stain Polish' in tan.
It gave them a bit of patina and depth. One of the people I have been treating for work reminded me she is a costume and prop hand on lots of the films made here in Aus (Aquaman, Thor most recently). She told me about a couple of guys they use here called 'Pendragon', and I might try them next time I can justify the money=).

IMG_7287.jpgIMG_8178.jpgIMG_8179.jpg

Hot Topic released a replica of the new Newt overcoat today, but it looks like a poor replica. Supposedly the belt is removable.

11538251_hi?$pdp_hero_zoom$.jpg

11538251_av1

11538251_av2?$pdp_hero_zoom$.jpg

At least it's got some of the skirting on the back this time. That fabric looks awful though, way too light and totally the wrong texture. The fabric on the FBAWTFT (yikes that's a mouthful) coat wasn't accurate but at least its texture had a closer feel.

Hey guys! I had the pleasure to check out the costume in display in NY. The shirt definitely looks stripped and spotted. The bowtie is also some funky design which I intially thought was plaid.Here are some pics :)

received_193249064885008.jpeg

received_198955440987037.jpeg

received_742991829399061.jpeg

received_268248457196254.jpeg

received_2168383430147850.jpeg

Those are some GREAT refs, thank you!! That bowtie. What do you even call that?

Has anyone had any luck with the SA waistcoat fabric yet?

Here’s another nice image of the boots:
F3BB93B1-998B-4E34-9623-7B546543C64C.jpeg

From Jitterbug Boy, custom cinema shoemaker. They’ve made so many custom shoes for movies it’s not even funny.

What are y'all using for the pants? I'm assuming they're just donegal wool trousers?

I'm mostly asking not because of a cosplay, but because I want multiple colors of those pants to wear to work. haha

I'd appreciate any information you all have - or where to buy!

Thanks

Just hopping into RPF and commenting for the first time. Saved a bunch of references for the first movie costume, but despair of ever getting anything close to SA fabrics. I'm a little sad we lose the gorgeous petrol color on the coat here, though it does seem to be at least slightly bluer tinged in the movie than some of the dramatic photos.

But yeah. That freaking bow tie.

New Member, long time fan. Thought I would add my two bits into the matter.

After seeing the movie a couple of times I noticed that where the leather on the under collar and pocket looks black, I am firmly convinced that it in fact a really dark brown. I noticed it most in the scene with Pickett at the Ministry of Magic. Sadly I can’t provide proof photos at this time but I would like to say I have a very good eye for details. Another thing that I noticed is that the lining of his coat is a dark teal like colour.

Hopefully my information helps people and isn’t just obvious facts that everyone knew already.

Cheers!

Last edited:
His name is Alex, and the label is VINTOS boots. I have this suspicion they are Mexican cobblers and operate under a USA shipping and billing address because their location is so close to the border. I always picture the movie COCO when I think of it=).

I've been wearing them to work for about 6-7months now and they are super comfy, and breath really well as they are leather lined plus I wear bamboo socks in them (I live in QLD Australia and it gets pretty hot here, so anything past the ankle HAS to breath).

I wasn't deeply sold on the colour, so I used Saphire Decapant to strip back the colour, and then worked in 'Kelly's Lynn Stain Polish' in tan.
It gave them a bit of patina and depth. One of the people I have been treating for work reminded me she is a costume and prop hand on lots of the films made here in Aus (Aquaman, Thor most recently). She told me about a couple of guys they use here called 'Pendragon', and I might try them next time I can justify the money=).

View attachment 843377View attachment 843378View attachment 843379

Incredibly beautiful boots, are they goodyear? And I have one more question, where did you get the buckles that you have on your boots on these pictures? Originally there were others and I have to say the new ones look a lot better.

Incredibly beautiful boots, are they goodyear? And I have one more question, where did you get the buckles that you have on your boots now, on these pictures? Originally there were others attached and I have to say the new ones look a lot better.

Yeah they are goodyear welt soles. Incredibly well done pair of boots. I took the OG buckles off and went down to my local leather goods hobby store in Brisbane. They are fairly generic though - possibly google 'brass strap buckle', and just be careful to check the size as you could be looking at a much bigger belt buckle=)

Yeah they are goodyear welt soles. Incredibly well done pair of boots. I took the OG buckles off and went down to my local leather goods hobby store in Brisbane. They are fairly generic though - possibly google 'brass strap buckle', and just be careful to check the size as you could be looking at a much bigger belt buckle=)

Thanks for your answer, I wanted to have similar boots made (yours inspired me). Do you have a link to such buckles? I somehow didn't find it.

PLEASE tell me where you got those boots.. online or in person? i NEED them!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back