Fallout 4

I agree it's stupid that vaults are getting hit that way, they're meant to survive a nuke yet some raiders can somehow sneak in?

I've actually thought about that before. The vaults would be extremely vulnerable any time they opened up to let anyone leave. For example, let's say you send out a party to get supplies. Some raiders grab them and then demand you open up or they will kill them. Most people wouldn't be willing to let their friends get killed.

I'm assuming they would have to have a protocol for defense in those situations. You'd almost have to have a large armed group of people come out every time you open up to protect anyone coming back. I'm not really sure how or if you could protect anyone leaving.

I agree it's stupid that vaults are getting hit that way, they're meant to survive a nuke yet some raiders can somehow sneak in?
Vault 88 has a couple of back doors, which I thougbt was weird.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

*Post Nuka World DLC*

Well, not only has Bethesda managed to destroy whatever dignity Preston had as a character, but somehow miraculously managed to make him more irritating. Wasn't the fall of Preston's original Minutemen band thanks to their ranks switching sides with the Raiders that caused all those deaths at the start of the game? I've played games seven years ago that featured heavily story driven companions who would turn on my character for desecrating a pile of ashes. The immersion factor just dies the moment Preston refuses to become hostile towards you for becoming a Raider. That, and having your murderous blood thirsty band of raiders refuse to raid a settlement because Mama Murphy is present. Freaking Mama Murphy. A character who does nothing but sit on a chair and do drugs.

There's a lot of that in the game where actions or your outfit go against the people you're talking to or your companion. I walked right through the Institute in my T60 power armor with a big 'ol BoS logo on it. Not a word was said. :lol Same thing with the Railroad. At the least they should have said they won't deal with you or something. I know they were trying to keep you from picking a side accidentally, but there's has to be a way for the NPCs to call you on it. It's nitpicking, but a detail that would be easy to fix (I would think). Oh and not to mention that no one has a problem that you blew up the Institute and left a bunch of the Commonwealth more irradiated. The BoS should have taken over the Institute. It's a perfect base!

Yeah I found that when I forgot what I was wearing a couple of times. :lol

BTW, I'm doing Far Harbor on my second game, and I was doing that detective quest at that hotel. So there's that Robobrain that was an actress and I started flirting to get XP, because obviously you can't have sex with a Robobrain. So apparently I slept with a Robobrain chick... :lol I was wearing T60 armor so I think it was protected.

Yeah I found that when I forgot what I was wearing a couple of times. :lol

BTW, I'm doing Far Harbor on my second game, and I was doing that detective quest at that hotel. So there's that Robobrain that was an actress and I started flirting to get XP, because obviously you can't have sex with a Robobrain. So apparently I slept with a Robobrain chick... :lol I was wearing T60 armor so I think it was protected.

the one where you build her a body? she was a b**** to me the entire time.

No not the one in the Mechanist DLC. It's in Far Harbor. She's wearing a sun hat on the fake beach in Cliff's Edge Hotel/Vault 118. My home settlement Doc gave me a tetanus shot so I think I'm good.

So random thought while playing the game tonight. Does anything in the game say where the mutant hounds come from? I'm talking the ones with the Super Mutants. Are they like capturing dogs and dunking them into vats of FEV?

Likeliest. The West Coast (and Midwest) and East Coast super mutants have different origins. The term originates with the Brotherhood of Steel, who were guarding the Mariposa military installation in California, found out about the FEV experiments going on there, mutinied -- and then the war wiped everything out. After the events of the first game, the Master's organized super mutant army had been broken. Some kept fighting the puny humans, some wanted to try to coexist. In general they're more intelligent and sophisticated than their East Coast cousins (and have darker skin). Some headed inland, as did the BOS later. The Brotherhood took the term with them, eventually applying it to the ones they found back East. The ones around D.C. came from Enclave experiments conducted after the Mariposa facility was lost to them.

The Commonwealth super mutants, on the other hand, originate from the Institute's experiments with the FEV. They conducted similar tests on other creatures, and apparently had the best results with dogs.

--Jonah

I need to get back into this game and try and get that last achievement. What amazes me that you have all these FEV strains everyone was working on independently and none of them work really well. The DC and boston mutants just keep getting bigger and dumber as they age instead of being smart like the Master's first few generations. You would think the Institute would have at least been able to make mutants that fit what the Army was after in the first place with all their tech.

I think the post-War Enclave scientists just were never able to recapture what had been lost. The postwar Enclave power armor took decades to even get usable, and wasn't as good as the X-01 prototypes it was derived from. The Vault 87 FEV they experimented with wasn't as good as the wartime strain being tested at Mariposa -- and it was the Vault 87 strain the Institute got their hands on. To me, Marcus is the paragon of what a super mutant should be, and I would love to see what Dr. Virgil or Erickson would make of Jacobstown.

--Jonah

I think the post-War Enclave scientists just were never able to recapture what had been lost. The postwar Enclave power armor took decades to even get usable, and wasn't as good as the X-01 prototypes it was derived from. The Vault 87 FEV they experimented with wasn't as good as the wartime strain being tested at Mariposa -- and it was the Vault 87 strain the Institute got their hands on. To me, Marcus is the paragon of what a super mutant should be, and I would love to see what Dr. Virgil or Erickson would make of Jacobstown.

--Jonah
Actually, in fallout 2 they created APA MK 2 which had special ceramic plates that made it lighter and stronger than the original suit.

I at no point said the D.C. super mutants were from Mariposa. I think I said exactly the opposite. :p

How did you say the exact opposite? You said "the ones around D.C. came from Enclave experiments". But they didn't.

I think the post-War Enclave scientists just were never able to recapture what had been lost. The postwar Enclave power armor took decades to even get usable, and wasn't as good as the X-01 prototypes it was derived from. The Vault 87 FEV they experimented with wasn't as good as the wartime strain being tested at Mariposa.

I thought that X-01 armor was supposed to be the same as the Enclave's first armor in FO2. I don't think there is any lore that proves or suggests that they are different armors. Just like there isn't "two versions" of the T-51 suit. It's just the way it looks in the new game, nothing more.

Also, the FEV from Vault 87 was another example of bad writing to explain why the mutants keep on coming. In the first Fallout, the Master had to engineer the virus for quite some time until he got the results were he wanted them. The raw FEV *did not* just turn men into Super Mutants, as it didn't turn the Master himself into one. He slowly refined the virus to be able to make Super Mutants. His first Mutants *were* stupid, having child like intellect. His "perfected" batch of FEV made the bad ass Nightkin Super Mutants, who were smarter and much more refined. But it was a slow process that I think took him years. Even the Mutants made in Fallout 2 would be exposed to this version of the virus, which ultimately made Frank Horrigan a mutant.

It seems rather stupid, and against previous canon, that any other strain of the virus would automatically make Super Mutants, wether it be from Vault Tec or the Institute. How did they do what the Master did without all the leg work? And why would this be a worthy endeavor for the Institute in the first place??? What would they gain, especially since they're wrapped up in the idea to make synthetic people?

The answer: bad writing. I stopped trying to stitch together and make sense of the bad story telling not too long after the new game came out. Gives me too much of a headache.
I mean, after all, can you give me a reasonable explanation as to why POST WAR armor is being displayed in a pre world amusement park? Yet despite all the "theories" people rattle off on how it might be a pre war armor after all, the load screen message continues to tell me the X-01 suit was specifically designed by the remnants of the old world military.........

Does anyone remember what happens to the ghouls in Necropolis during Fallout 1?

If you take the water chip from Necropolis's water purifier, yet do not repair their other water purification thingy, the ghouls will all die. This will be stated at the end of the game, when Ron Pearlman reads off the fates of the people you interacted with. Failing to give the ghouls a way to make purified water, they will die out.

Yet, in later games, ghouls are damn near immortal. Don't seem to need water, or food. Ghouls seem to be trapped in every little locked room you can find, perfectly preserved and ready to attack, feral as hell. Why don't they die of dehydration?

Why?

Because sometimes you just can't connect all the dots between the games. They span near two decades. Some things just won't line up if you continue to have Super Mutants or ghouls in the following games. And people want them in the following games. I guess it's a matter of "feeling more like Fallout". (?)

Brief refresher: The Enclave was around before the bombs dropped. It was a shadow organization of politicians and corporate execs who felt only they had the will/right/whatever to determine the course of the country. Not much has been named in the way of specifics, but it's pretty clear Vault-Tec was one of the companies involved, as were, probably, General Atomics, West Tek, L.O.B. Enterprises, HalluciGen, and Nuka-Cola, amongst others. There's a lot that can be gleaned from all the games thus far that paint a picture of those in the military and government who hadn't known about this catching on to what was happening right under their noses and trying to stop it. And then the bombs fell.

The T-51 model of power armor was the "tried-and-proven" drastic improvement over the T-45, and was in wide issue by late 2077. It saw its first action in the Battle of Anchorage, when the Chinese invasion was repelled, and continued to be issued to more units back in the States as our troops counter-invaded back into China. T-60 power armor had already been developed before the T-51 was rolled out (this is the military, after all), and was beginning to see the first batches of production units being issued to units on the East Coast. They had also developed a number of prototype "X-01" suits of an even more advanced armor design that were being field tested and shown around as demonstrators when the bombs fell. As I said, the post-War Enclave spent many decades with what they had left trying to replicate that last design. Yes, their "Mark II" was lighter and stronger and such than their Mark I, but we need a side-by-side comparison with the X-01 to see how either of them stack up.

FEV research started in California at the West Tek facility. It was moved to the more secure newly-built Mariposa Military Base in 2076. The troops sent to protect the scientists didn't know about the experiments. When they did find out, the CO committed suicide, and the XO -- Roger Maxson -- interrogated and then executed the scientists, and declared himself and his men as deserters from the U.S. Army. That was on October 20, 2077. He was puzzled to get no response. Three days later the bombs fell. I can easily connect the dots that the Enclave sent people to get backups/earlier versions of the FEV (or just data) from West Tek and get it to a more controlled facility -- Vault 87. They had plenty of time after finding out about their losing Mariposa. The research at Mariposa was never finished (at that time, anyway). The Vault 87 development chain went one way, and when the Master found what was at Mariposa, his went another. At some point, the Institute found or was given the results of Vault 87's research and were tasked with/tried to figure out how to keep the East Coast version of super mutant from losing so much of their intellect and continuing to grow as they aged. My uncertainty of their role is due to feeling the Institute would make a darn good Enclave research base. It ticks all the boxes. But nothing says they are. Indeed, the Enclave is strangely absent from the Commonwealth...

Oh, and as for Ghouls... I've picked up from the games that continued exposure to radiation is what drives them Feral. Typically. Oz, in Nuka World, is the only non-Feral Glowing One I've ever seen. I've wanted to dig further into that, but haven't had the time. But I can easily see a water purifier helping keep that process at bay. With no more access to clean water, they'd eventually all either leave or go Feral. If they were trapped there, they'd go torpid, the way we see other Ferals do. So long as there's no new outside stimulation -- like a Chosen One coming into their underground town -- they'll remain in that state indefinitely. Mind gone and not moving ever again sounds a lot like death to me.

I can make it all work pretty easily. ;)

--Jonah

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back