Fallout 4

I only bring it up because no one has since then. For something that Todd Howard was quoted as saying "As far as stupid gimmicks go, this is the best fu**** one I have ever seen. It is awesome!", I haven't seen any further demonstrations on what this will actually do.

I thought he explained it pretty well in the E3 Keynote. It's a second screen experience and the app is running the same code as the in-game PipBoy, it syncs with the game over your local WiFi network and allows you to control your in-game PipBoy with the wrist-mounted screen should you so desire. Todd Howard said it best, it's a stupid gimmick but it's a pretty good one.

Yeah it's pretty much just a housing for your phone to use the app and act like the touch screen the wiiu comes with. I don't have wifi but I can't resist a special edition.

I saw that, there's also a Fallout beer coming out but i think it's only in europe. I don't have a target within 45 minutes of me and this stuff will sell out anyhow.

Well, here come the first batches of the Pip-Boy edition reviews. Please excuse Eurogamer for not caring one bit on what they're doing.
`

Some things to note. The locking mechanism is fully functional! That's always nice. It also seems quite a large all things considering. Considering how the Pip-Boy is worn over a special padded section of the Vault-Tech jumpsuit, I think it's safe to say that this Pip-Boy replica is ideal for being worn over a piece of clothing, or even a jacket. Putting it over a bare arm seems to make it all wobbly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it's a much higher end one that the clock one that cam with F3. I'm annoyed that these news companies get stuff like this free, they should get a normal edition and that's it. Eurogamer really doesn't seem to put much effort into anything they do that i've seen lol. I do love that storage case though. Now I want something like it for my Anthology bomb.

Looks like Pip-Boy unboxing videos are spawning all over the place, and interestingly a lot of them are not in english. This one is from GameBlog and he seems to have much more interest in the item than the two Eurogamer folks did. If you manage to obtain one of these editions, do give this video a spin. This guy does everything wrong with this Pip-Boy Replica from not figuring out how to unlock it (That bit has a funny ending to it) and not being able to fit his phone into the phone slot.

This video from a different brand of Eurogamer. Again not in english, but you'll see more close up shots of the Pip-Boy and other physical goodies that come with it. I'm pleased to report that the case for the game is indeed the STEELBOOK brand of metal cases. Thanks Bethesda! Also, this individual also has problems with unlocking the clamp.

I thought the Eurogamer video was okay, and we knew it was going to be oversized. The case and the stand look cool.

I thought the Eurogamer video was okay, and we knew it was going to be oversized. The case and the stand look cool.

If the overall case was big enough to fit the mini-nuke Anthology collection, this would have been perfect. But judging by it's size and interior space, doesn't look likely.

The Pip-Boy is actually scaled to the in game model.

That's a little difficult to believe when you look at photos of the in-game model worn by the player and compare it to the collector's edition model, it appears roughly 10% larger. edit: Photo

pips.PNG

Last edited:
That's a little difficult to believe when you look at photos of the in-game model worn by the player and compare it to the collector's edition model, it appears roughly 10% larger. edit: Photo

View attachment 548364

What phones will fit in the Pip-Boy Edition Pip-Boy?
The Pip-Boy included will have foam inserts that fit iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 5/5s, iPhone 4/4S, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Samsung Galaxy S3. In addition, using the customizable foam insert you should be able to fit most other popular smartphone devices. As we wanted to stay faithful to the dimensions of the in-game model, any smartphones larger than the models listed will not fit inside the wearable device, but can still use the Pip-Boy App.

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/gam...allout-4-important-release-info/2015/10/08/35

I know, but it's easy to look at a photo or a video of someone wearing it and see that it appears larger than when worn on the player's wrist in game. I assumed some concessions were made to fit the phone behind the screen, which personally I think is fine. It's a collectors item and not a prop.

Last edited:
Is everything alright Grey? You seem to be on edge with just about everything I've brought up recently. I'm not trying to spin this game in a negative light. I've got the Pip-Boy edition on pre-order, bought the Fallout Anthology straight from Bethesda's website AND created this thread when the announcement clock hit 00:00. I even had a very awkward moment with another user who also created a thread titled 'Fallout 4' when it was just about a vending machine that he wanted to convert to a Nuka Cola machine. He actually got angry with me and a lot of other users when I made the point "what does this have to do with Fallout 4?".

Let's try to put a positive spin on things. Let's check out some baseball! An American Tradition!

Is everything alright Grey? You seem to be on edge with just about everything I've brought up recently. I'm not trying to spin this game in a negative light. I've got the Pip-Boy edition on pre-order, bought the Fallout Anthology straight from Bethesda's website AND created this thread when the announcement clock hit 00:00. I even had a very awkward moment with another user who also created a thread titled 'Fallout 4' when it was just about a vending machine that he wanted to convert to a Nuka Cola machine. He actually got angry with me and a lot of other users when I made the point "what does this have to do with Fallout 4?".

Let's try to put a positive spin on things. Let's check out some baseball! An American Tradition!

I posted that video a few days ago, and i'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying. On edge? BikerScout and I were discussing the size of the Pip-Boy and I was not even quoting you, so i'm not sure why you would think it was about you? We are all waiting for the game to come out.

I'm confused by your post, I am just talking about Fallout 4 in the Fallout 4 thread.

Last edited:
I agree it looks a bit large, but the in-game character is also a tall person. Almost every game map/mod I have worked on is based in the real-world. Despite many games using real-world units when possible, I find that most game engines need things scaled up a bit. The Source Engine needs items scaled up by 15% to look correct, Unity by 10%. Only the Cryengine, which actually does use meters as it's primary units kept things looking correct at real-world scales.

That said, the Pip-Boy edition looks a bit better than I expected. They used cast zinc for the latch, so that should hold up. And the foam padding is a nice touch. The transport case is more complex and nicer than I expected.

I agree, that has been my experince as well from working in 3d design. I'm very interested to see how yours looks in comparison when printed and worn. I also agree that the quality of the collector's edition Pip-Boy looks very solid, I was certain the latch would be plastic but it's a nice surprise to see they cast it from zinc. Though it seems people are having trouble operating it!

All said it's a very nice collector's edition, they usually end up being a merchandise cash grab but Bethesda really knocked it out of the park.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back