Fallout 4

I just bought the Fallout classic collection. I never played the 2D versions, can't wait to catch up on some old lore.

Steam and GOG.com always seem to have Fallout, Fallout 2, and Tactics on sale. They gave them to me free when I signed up. I have 2 versions of a collection of the 3 on disc and i got the anthology in the bomb. I wish i'd kept the editions i had before. They were in those cardboard/plastic 2 packs you could get at walmart for 9.99 back in 2000/2001.

I've got the Pipboy edition on order form Amazon and it's scheduled to ship Nov 6 to have it on Nov 10. I wonder how much of a download there will be after installing from the DVD on PC?

Well, a typical dual-layer DVD has a capacity of 8.5GB and Fallout 4 has a 30GB install size. Depending on the compression ratio of the installer it could vary a lot, or if they use more than one DVD. Personally I am surprised they are still using DVD's for computer games and have not switched to Blu-Ray.

Well, a typical dual-layer DVD has a capacity of 8.5GB and Fallout 4 has a 30GB install size. Depending on the compression ratio of the installer it could vary a lot, or if they use more than one DVD. Personally I am surprised they are still using DVD's for computer games and have not switched to Blu-Ray.

Consider how much of the market you eliminate by removing that option. It is a good idea, but would require a potentially significant portion of the market to adopt Blu-ray drives into their rigs.

Last edited:
Sadly they charge a lot to add a BR player when you're ordering a PC or they did when I got my last one. I'm going to get one this next time though. Heck a built in SD card reader was 10.00 last time.

Consider how much of the market you eliminate by removing that option. It is a good idea, but would require a potentially significant portion of the market to adopt Blu-ray drives into their rigs.

Granted, but one frequent arguement I hear in favor of buying games on physical media is that people want to ensure they will always have access to the game without being tied to an internet connection, however that evaporates when the game still requires a substantial download due to the restrictions of obsolete media.

You had a photo earlier with the retail version, do you know how many DVD's the PC version is shipping with?

Last edited:
I'm all for those upgrades. I also understand that not everyone can swing it. You are completely right though, the market is trending towards having a splash screen on disc with the majority of the game being a download that is pre-loadable.

I can't answer the question about how many discs are included until November 10th. Ask me then.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly bothered by it because i'm all for digital-distribution, I recently had to re-install my Steam library when I switched to an SSD and i'm grateful that I don't have to worry about CD's or CD-Key's for all the games I own because they're all tied to my account.

However I have friends who like to feel as though they actually *own* the game when they buy the disc, which is true on consoles but sadly the PC is being left behind due to the fact that there are no enforceable hardware standards.

Counting the days all the same. 12 to go.

I am very tempted to just buy the digital version on psn for ps4 since I missed out on the pipboy edition anyways.

Everyone in my region bought up as many as they could and are price gouging pretty hard.

I may give up and just make one.

Is anyone else buying the psn version?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not particularly bothered by it because i'm all for digital-distribution, I recently had to re-install my Steam library when I switched to an SSD and i'm grateful that I don't have to worry about CD's or CD-Key's for all the games I own because they're all tied to my account.

Oh I was for digital too until I downloaded GTA V and it took me about 3 or 4 days at 16mbps to download it! :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back