Fallout 3 AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread - FINISHED

Jm419

Sr Member
Hi everyone,

I just recently finished Fallout 3, and because of the ending, I ended up wanting more. After seeing a few pictures of some incredible builds on these boards, a friend of mine in the engineering program and I decided to build our own laser rifles; mine's going to be a screen accurate AER9, and my friend is modifying the design to the AEP slightly.

The good thing about working in pairs on this is that we split the cost of materials. We went to a local Home Depot and bought our supplies, and instead of one of us shouldering nearly $40.00 of cost (a huge amount to a college student), we managed to get all the supplies we need (right now) for just under $18.00 USD apiece.

I've begun work on my laser rifle, and the easiest - and hardest - part is the stock; it's easy because it's mostly flat, but it's odd shapes and there are some difficult details which I need to add to it. In any case, I began work on the stock, and it's rough cut at this juncture.

I started by loading NeXxt's excellent blueprints onto a slide and instead of laboriously measuring the lines and angles by hand, we chose to project the blueprints onto a sheet of MDF using a projector; it was very simple to trace the print by hand.

Photoon2010-12-23at1633.jpg

Here's the stock, rough cut:

Photoon2010-12-23at2117.jpg

This is how it looks now, on Christmas Day 2010.

Photoon2010-12-25at12042.jpg

Photoon2010-12-25at1204.jpg

It needs some more work (obviously) and I have some more research to do, but the holes are nearly done. If I decide to make another one of these, I shall invest in a beveller; the hand filing is incredibly labor intensive.

This is a J-Term project; the due-date for this to be finished is February 1. Stay tuned; this should be an interesting job.

Last edited:
re: Fallout AER9 Laser Rifle Build Thread

Damn you weren't kidding about wanting to get this thing going lol. it's on my to do list still.

Damn you weren't kidding about wanting to get this thing going lol. it's on my to do list still.

Lol. I just want to get projects started and finished; though building it is half the fun, I'm mainly after a nice replica.

Small update, but significant. I got the major shapes cut last night:

Photoon2011-01-16at1248.jpg

And I can now see how it'll look when it's all done. I still need the rod assembly, but this isn't bad for right now.

Photoon2011-01-16at1250.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I find that if one just sits down and does it, it gets done in a matter of days. I still have some heavy cutting to do, and I have yet to make either barrel cap, but the stock's nearly done and the barrel's assembled and drying right now.

If I can help you get started with your project, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

I need to get a new jigsaw before i go to far into any project that requires cutting as most of these things are too big for our little bandsaw. Plus i'd rather replace a 1.00 jigsaw blade than a 9.00 bandsaw blade if something goes wrong lol.

I need to get a new jigsaw before i go to far into any project that requires cutting as most of these things are too big for our little bandsaw. Plus i'd rather replace a 1.00 jigsaw blade than a 9.00 bandsaw blade if something goes wrong lol.

No kidding. The jigsaw's definitely the MVP on this project. Though, I'm apparently physically incapable of cutting a straight line with it... so a half-round file's kinda needed here.

Liking it already, and looking forward to seeing how it progresses

No kidding. The jigsaw's definitely the MVP on this project. Though, I'm apparently physically incapable of cutting a straight line with it... so a half-round file's kinda needed here.

we have packages of files we've never opened yet. Problem is i'll have to do all the rounding by hand because I don't think my dremel router can handle this kind of stuff.

Liking it already, and looking forward to seeing how it progresses

Hey, thanks for your interest.

I got a bunch done today, so I'll be posting a big update tomorrow. The barrel's together, as is the entire grip/stock assembly. Tomorrow, I'll probably cut the ends for the barrel and begin lathing the rod. After that, it's pretty much just detail-work.

Right now, the rifle's in two basic assemblies:

Photoon2011-01-17at1002.jpg

The assembled stock and grip. Still needs styrene details on the grip and raised detailing on the stock.

Photoon2011-01-17at10022.jpg

Here's the barrel with cutout.

Photoon2011-01-17at1001.jpg

This is where I'm at right now. You can see how it's coming together quite nicely.

looking very cool.
maybe you should mold and then distribute casts! :love

I might, I very well might. I'll have to see how this turns out, though, and molding something like this'll be spendy. If there's interest, I might just do that.

New update tonight: Did a lot of filling and sanding today, and most importantly, got the thing glued together. I still need to cut the vents on the small barrel before I attach the large one to it, and of course I need to make the rod assembly. Other than that, though, it's detailing, and I have a lot of balsa and washers to do it with!

So, take a look.

Photoon2011-01-17at2058.jpg

And for scale, I'm 6'3 and 220 pounds.
Photoon2011-01-17at20582.jpg

Thanks for looking, everyone!
James

Oh, Wes, I missed your post!

I'm doing the rounding with a table router, and it already ruined one already prepped grip. Ah well. I have to be careful when I do the barrel, though.

lol. I'm ever so slowly buying power tools. half we may never use again but at least we have them. My dad won't replace tools as they break unless he has to. I keep catching him eyeballing my tabletop belt sander lol. It looks really good so far though. I doubt making an entire kit would be worth it but making casts of the hard to do parts like the barrel area and if you find a perfect container for the e-cell those might be worth it even to have as extras.

lol. I'm ever so slowly buying power tools. half we may never use again but at least we have them. My dad won't replace tools as they break unless he has to. I keep catching him eyeballing my tabletop belt sander lol. It looks really good so far though. I doubt making an entire kit would be worth it but making casts of the hard to do parts like the barrel area and if you find a perfect container for the e-cell those might be worth it even to have as extras.

Well, if I have say ten people interested in a full kit, I might very well do it. This is something that there really isn't a good offering for in the market today, so I might try to fill the niche.

I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity everyone displays here, nice work sir!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back