Facehugger Build

Jamie Staff

Sr Member
The goal this time is to build a poseable Alien Facehugger using ordinary corking silicon, I'm starting with a pretty standard kit as a base and then adding more deals as I go, I've seen lot of these kits made up and while I do like them, I feel like even the best paint job leaves it looking not quite "real/alive" some how, I'm going to try and make it look as if it just crawled out of the egg as possible, so we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW. I've played with the cauking silocone, but never really had much success. How much product did you end up using? I ask because I do use the proper additive silicone and I'm just curious given a 1KG of a A40 is $60.50AUD which gives perfect details (including picking up my finger prints).

Looks like it will be about 8 maybe 9 tubes total, that's for the molds and the finished hugger so about $40/45, it's the cheaper stuff from Bunnings, so it's not a huge saving and I certainly wouldn't use this silicone for anything needing really good detail replication, but this is a bit of a personal challenge to see it I can make one using this stuff and re-sculpt bits I feel need fixing as I go.

For anyone thinking of having a go as this sort of thing, just a few tips..... The cheap vinegar smelling type is the stuff the use, clear or white, don't use factory coloured it takes forever to set, the tints I use are just normal paint tints or wood stain, you can also add cornflower or babypowder as a stiffener if you need it to hold its shape better.

WOW. I've played with the cauking silocone, but never really had much success. How much product did you end up using? I ask because I do use the proper additive silicone and I'm just curious given a 1KG of a A40 is $60.50AUD which gives perfect details (including picking up my finger prints).

Jamie Staff, Good that you are looking for alternatives. 9 x 350g is about 3.1KG, so certainly cheaper than the commercial stuff at 60/KG.

You can add a small amount of oil based paint to the cheap silicone to tint it and will still set. If you want to speed up the cure time, add a spirit like metho or acetone and mix well. As the spirit evaporates, it goes cold and produces condensation which is what air drying silicone needs to cure. At 10 parts silicone to 1 part spirits, you have a 5 or 6 min potlife and a 2 hour cure time and it seems to pull the adhesive properties out. As I said, I never really got this to work as a mold though it never captured the details I wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. When you were hand sculpting the fingers/legs did you coat your hands with anything to stop the silicon sticking to your fingers?

Great work so far. Ive made a ton of those kits over the years but never got around to do one that was really able to be posed at will. Looking forward to the finished piece.

That was so awesome to watch! I am constantly blown away with how creative some people are in making these types of props. The attention to detail is spot on and I especially liked watching the tail take shape. Great work, looking forward to the final reveal! Thanks for posting this for those of us whom are creatively retarded. :wacko

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back