Eve from WALL-E Build

I had thought about using something other than fiberglass matte. Thought it would be cleaner to use something with a little stretch. The arms are giving me fits wrapping around the edges. Common sense is telling me that the fewer pieces of matte used, the better. However, it gets to be a bit too much for me to control with some of the angles and curves.

Now using Elmer's glue straight on the matte is something I never thought of either. While this may eventually be used as a mold for future casts. I am not building it that way. This may just be a one time build just for me.

-Eric

I had thought about using something other than fiberglass matte. Thought it would be cleaner to use something with a little stretch. The arms are giving me fits wrapping around the edges. Common sense is telling me that the fewer pieces of matte used, the better. However, it gets to be a bit too much for me to control with some of the angles and curves.

Now using Elmer's glue straight on the matte is something I never thought of either. While this may eventually be used as a mold for future casts. I am not building it that way. This may just be a one time build just for me.

-Eric
don't worry too much about the corner /curves having creases ----it will dry solid as a rock and u will be able to cut /sand smooth---a gallon at hardware should cost u about 11 bucks !

When sanding the creases, the glass will get exposed from sanding, do I just fill back with resin?

Thanks,

-Eric

The matting will be saturated with resin, so it shouldn't be a big deal unless you sand past the fiber. A lot of people use automotive bondo to fill in gaps and then sand smooth. You can use the resin, too, but bondo is better, imo. Is she going to have the bio-compartment with the plant in the boot?

Working on a few projects right now, but had some time to work on Eve today as the finish dried on my other projects.

Today, I ground down the edges of the fiberglass on the arms and sanded as smooth as I could. Then I started smoothing out with some filler. The goal is to have the ready for primer tomorrow.

First coat of filler.
fd3f9c4060a55ac73b77a05112b5abc3_zps4069db58.jpg

Smoothed out and another coat.
4221ab6a1d0d89ca91e01cf93ba57426_zpsbdf2dd0d.jpg

d6a4906446414265fc0c36c463633c13_zpsbe7ded0c.jpg

Til next update.

-Eric

Really cool :D

Thanks!

I did not make my goal for Sunday. Instead I laid in bed all day with a cold. However, I got back in the shop today and finished up the arms. These babies are ready for primer.

5d493fc1bd729b4dd043eec0c1edd60d_zps6ef27ad5.jpg

0c2461547bded09f8e03e9012edc9dd6_zpsd3e1ed1c.jpg

Now I just need the weather to improve to paint. It hasn't broke 45 since Thursday and I have no heat in the shop. Time to build a new shop.

In the mean time, I will finish her head.

-Eric

Last edited:
dude---forget that expensive resin----all u need to use is elmers glue on your fiberglass cloth---no mixing /harsh chemicals/ etc..etc...and it comes out as hard as a cast for a broken arm !...I've use this method on all my foam builds--it will also soak in to the pores of the foam and wont peel off

hey buckettt, i live in an apartment and using resin is a pain, and i've been looking to have an alternative, do ou have examples or any build threads about using glue with fiberglass mat? i'm really interested in this idea!

Really beautiful work, so far. Didn't know that about foam and fiberglass, thought that all the studio giant models were made of foamcore with fiberglass painted over that. I saw a model that Greg Jein had done, and it looked like that was what he did. Not that I'm talented enough to even think about trying something like that. Keep up the good work.

dude---forget that expensive resin----all u need to use is elmers glue on your fiberglass cloth---no mixing /harsh chemicals/ etc..etc...and it comes out as hard as a cast for a broken arm !...I've use this method on all my foam builds--it will also soak in to the pores of the foam and wont peel off

Sounds awesome. I'm just getting into building and I live in the frozen north (Wisconsin) so won't be able to get outside for another 6 months and using harsh chemicals make me nervous (at least for now).

Wow Not a build you see every day everyone tends to build Wall-E and forget that there were other robots in the film...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build turns out

Thanks! She is progressing at a slower pace then I would like, but she is coming along.

Today, I put the last bit of fiberglass on her head. It is pretty rough, but nothing some sanding can't fix. The blue is from the Sharpie I used to mark lines to cut the glass cloth.

f891cc5902247198c0f38c9c2dd92ade_zpsa99c8322.jpg

aa1c11f31239f1ad618fa4d20bd9fe6a_zps808715f3.jpg

I learned a lot about fiberglass techniques on the head. The body should go much smoother.

Next up is to sand her head down and get some filler on to smooth it all out. I haven't primed the arms yet. I figure I'll do these pieces all at the same time and then start on the body.

-Eric

love it! Some wet sanding will make her smooth as glass but if you sand down to the fiberglass matt, youll have to add some more plastic.

Thanks! The resin has been sitting for about a week now. It just got too cold for me to work on it outside. I'll be posting some updates as soon as it warms up a bit.

Over a month too late, but I believe epoxy resin from marine stores will not melt foam insulation. Or use green floral foam for the core.

Over a month too late, but I believe epoxy resin from marine stores will not melt foam insulation. Or use green floral foam for the core.

I read the same thing. Not having a local supplier, I opted for the seal it with glue an use polyester route. There are also some spray applications that can be used.

The other options probably would cut a lot of labor, but there was a premium for those materials. My time on this project is free.

On future projects with more complicated curves and edges, I will probably go with those to save time and reduce the amount of cleanup needed by hand.

-Eric

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back