ESB AT-ST Turkey Walker (Chicken to the talented)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to get some progress done on the armature research. First off, I apologize if it seems like I've laid a stake on your thread. It's just that I've been doing lots of work over the past year on making this model a reality for myself. I've had a lot of real life stuff on my plate lately but you've motivated me to resume work just by announcing the start of yours. Hopefully if we and others work together, we can add some more Chicken Walkers to the SS scene. I also thought containing this info in your thread would be better than making a whole new thread. LMK, and I can delete anything you don't want in your thread.

Ok, here is what I got done. I cut out all the parts from the drawings collaboratively created by what I'm gonna call the "Fab 4" (Allen, Lee, Jason and Quincy) so I don't have to retype names. Hey, there's a British guy in there so it fits. :D

Now, here's the thing, the drawings are awesome. And my measurements are spot on to those drawings. I didn't take physical measurements, I used the program to measure between points on the drawings. Not to say I couldn't have made a mistake here or there but I am confident that they are accurate to the drawings. However, I will still bump the actual donor parts to the mock ups to further check for accuracy. More on that to come....

IMG567.jpg

IMG586.jpg

IMG579.jpg

IMG598.jpg

I also finally filled one of my head molds with plaster. I will let this dry for a few days and begin filling in any imperfections. Then I will follow Q's advice and start making a mold so that I can make the vac-form buck from something stronger than plaster.

I was surprised how much heat came off of this after pouring. It wasn't a whole lot but still a significant amount.

IMG564.jpg

IMG565.jpg

Looking forward to seeing more of this! Someday, I'll take a crack at studio scale modelling...but until then, I'll just enjoy watching the experts at work :thumbsup

Looking good Joe ... I started building the chicken head myself last night, but I'd probably still be interested in a vac pull from you

Last edited:
Awesome stuff Joe, be great to see the final results with the donors in place, and please feel free to add what ever you want to this thread, the more info the better same for Niels also. Its also good to see you using a capo, was it for clamping :), cool idea.

...Hopefully if we and others work together, we can add some more Chicken Walkers to the SS scene.

That would be great! I'm right at the point of being ready to start. I have an armature, and all the kits collected. My plan is to mold some of the parts to help me limit the number of kits I needed. (I essentially have one of every part I need) Happy to help others making their Chickens with parts I am molding anyways. Any chance someone could direct me to the right person to ask for those amazing blueprints? I have all the bits, but it would be helpful to have something I could print out and lay out for comparison. Not asking for a handout...happy to pay.

Awesome stuff Joe, be great to see the final results with the donors in place, and please feel free to add what ever you want to this thread, the more info the better same for Niels also. Its also good to see you using a capo, was it for clamping :), cool idea.

Cool about the thread! And no, the capo is for my guitar. I don't know how it got in my garage but it's been hanging out on my bench for a while.

That would be great! I'm right at the point of being ready to start. I have an armature, and all the kits collected. My plan is to mold some of the parts to help me limit the number of kits I needed. (I essentially have one of every part I need) Happy to help others making their Chickens with parts I am molding anyways. Any chance someone could direct me to the right person to ask for those amazing blueprints? I have all the bits, but it would be helpful to have something I could print out and lay out for comparison. Not asking for a handout...happy to pay.

You know, I might take you up on a B-29 part. That's the only kit or part I don't have. If you happen to get it molded, lmk, and I can pay you for a part.

Joe

For all you guys looking to vacform the head, please be advised that the plan set(s) currently circulating probably need up to 5.0mm added to the overall length at the back of the head. I had some problems getting the parts on the top of the v1 head to all fit and had to trim the "railing" as a cheat.

Compare where the styrene "armor" plate and M-16 part line up on the top of the head between the two versions:

Version 1
esb20_.jpg

Version 2 (I modified the vac plug using Apoxie Sculpt to extend it)
esbatstv2_027.jpg

Last edited:
For all you guys looking to vacform the head, please be advised that the plan set(s) currently circulating probably need up to 5.0mm added to the overall length at the back of the head.

Allan,
Oh yeah, I remember you mentioning this to me. Is the top plate the only part that is short in the drawings? I'm sure I can revise the drawings.

Quincy,
When you made your plugs, did the top of the head bow in just slightly? Both of the molds I made bow in down the middle if looking at it straight on so the styrene plate that the M5A1 part rests on does not sit perfectly flat on the top of the head. Instead there is a gap towards the center of the head where it sinks lower than the sides.

It's obviously from the lack of support in the middle and possibly also from the molds sitting there all summer, not sure. It's not much but still noticeable.

PLMK, as I may have to rip the molds apart to add some extra curvature to the top plate.

Joe

The sides need to be lengthened to match the top; the top and both sides are all too short. I'm not sure if Q modified the drawing to account for it - he may have. Best to check with him.

For all you guys looking to vacform the head, please be advised that the plan set(s) currently circulating probably need up to 5.0mm added to the overall length at the back of the head. I had some problems getting the parts on the top of the v1 head to all fit and had to trim the "railing" as a cheat.

i did tinker with the head drawing a little, allan. so what i've released is a little different than your all's original work. sad part is, i can't remember what areas i tweaked.

the drawings for the buck ad an extra inch towards the back of the neck, so those templates SHOULD be fine, just have to be awake when you're cutting the back edge.

i have yet to add the rail to the top of the head, so i'm still blissfully ignorant. i would recommend everyone lay out the parts as allan mentioned before making the plunge.

remember little carpenters: measure twice, cut once.

Quincy,
When you made your plugs, did the top of the head bow in just slightly? Both of the molds I made bow in down the middle if looking at it straight on so the styrene plate that the M5A1 part rests on does not sit perfectly flat on the top of the head. Instead there is a gap towards the center of the head where it sinks lower than the sides.

It's obviously from the lack of support in the middle and possibly also from the molds sitting there all summer, not sure. It's not much but still noticeable.

PLMK, as I may have to rip the molds apart to add some extra curvature to the top plate.

Joe

not sure if i'm following your exactly..?
sounds like your bucks would have a "butt-cut" haircut....a bit of a valley right down the middle if it combed its hair? if thats the case, no -- its actually a flat "buzz cut"

the front template may look like it since the top edge "frowns" down...however the top template plate bows towards the front and makes up that curve. make sense?

:lol In makes perfect sense. Yeah, a "butt-cut" is what my AT-ST mold has going on right now. Ok, I need to break the molds and re-accomplish the curvature on top. No biggie, I'll have to re-pour but plaster is stupid-cheap anyway.

Joe

I followed Quincys latest set of drawings, and the top plate is 3-4 mm too short compared to the side walls .... but I haven't checked, if the sidewalls are actually long enough.

Niels,
when you say short, are you speaking of the templates for making the vac-buck? if so, thats true, they are short and supposed to be. review joe's pics in post #31. (when the head is upside down, the back plate sits on top of the top plate
if you're speaking about the head shape itself, ...well i'm surprised (it worked for me). joe, did you get this coming up short?

Not sure if this will help guys, but heres one of the head pics i took a while back of mine.
The armor plate seems to line up about right, and allows good placement of the topside donors.
Cant recall if i took the dims from the M5A1 cut as it should be on the prop or not, looking at Joe's plate, it hasnt had the cuts made at the front anlges yet?
As i said, i went my own kinda way on this part with sheet, its still not 100% on the money, but as close as i could muster at the time.
Only realised the other day i still need to add the rest of the hose on this one lol.....yet another job for a rainy day i guess :lol.

lee
walkerhead002.jpg

Looking good for a Sunday Visit Lee, if your still around, and my PD base arrived today. IT is stunning, will try n take a pic later. Matt has done an incredible job.

Well, my wallet is certainly lighter this week, paid for both the 312B's today, Frozen water for Tea for a few weeks I thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back