Equilibirum Grammaton Cleric Coat

TB7024

I decided to start working on a costume I've wanted to do for a long time, a Grammaton Cleric from Equilibrium. My wife wants this to be my first sewing project so we'll see how that goes (update: she's helping me now so I'm making better progress). The goal I have is completing the outer coat seen here:

Equilibrium_Still0433.jpeg

I've made up my mind that I'm not going to go try for 100% movie accurate (for example I'm not buying the exact same pants, boots, and gloves) but I will try to get close to screen used. Since this is my first sewing project I'll do my best for replicating the coat but might not get each seam exactly reproduced. I'm planning on purchasing the Cleric sidearms soon and should have a prozium injector on the way. I will be keeping an eye out for the android alien watch used in the movie, but only if I can find it for under $100.

Currently i'm working on drawing the coat with my fiancee's help. We believe that the Simplicity 5386 Men's Costumes pattern for the duster on the right would be a good start and will modify it to fit the cleric coat.

Simplicity Patterns - Simplicity 5386 - Simplicity Sewing Patterns for Costumes - Simplicity Pattern Reviews

5386.jpg

Kind of a pipe dream at the moment but if it works out eventually I would like to have two quick draw sleeve rigs (Following the Quick-Draw Sleeve Gun : BFX : Build Tutorial)to mimic certain scenes in the movie. This depends on the size of the resin prop guns and if they'll be concealable in my coat sleeves attached to the quickdraw device. I won't sacrifice realistically sized coat sleeves just to make this happen, considering I wouldn't use the device other than in a masquerade presentation. (Update: not going to happen)

Completed photos:
grammaton_cleric_001_by_tb7024-d6ngfc1.jpg

not_without_incident_by_tb7024-d6nk7xu.jpg

grammaton_cleric_004_by_tb7024-d6ngfck.jpg

grammaton_cleric_002_by_tb7024-d6ngfcb.jpg

Attachments

• not_without_incident_by_tb7024-d6nk7xu.jpg
    not_without_incident_by_tb7024-d6nk7xu.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 248
  • grammaton_cleric_004_by_tb7024-d6ngfck.jpg
    grammaton_cleric_004_by_tb7024-d6ngfck.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 205
  • grammaton_cleric_002_by_tb7024-d6ngfcb.jpg
    grammaton_cleric_002_by_tb7024-d6ngfcb.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 258
  • grammaton_cleric_001_by_tb7024-d6ngfc1.jpg
    grammaton_cleric_001_by_tb7024-d6ngfc1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Abbyshot.com used to make an awesome replica jacket. Maybe if they get enough requests they'll start again like they did with the matrix jackets.

Equilibrium is my favourite film. I hope you have as much fun making your Cleric coat as I did. I'm going to be remaking mine soon as there a little bits I'd like tweaked and I've changed shape over the years plus I want to make it so it's fully lined and so that I can wear it as an 'ordinary' coat out and about. I'd only lined the bottom half. I used a brushed polycotton fabric so it has the soft sheen the film coat has but I'm going to try and find a fabric that has ever, ever so slightly more body to it this time. Being female I used a very different pattern to adapt for my coat; McCalls M4601[ http://www.northbreeze.com/Patterns/DiscontinuedMcCallsPatterns/images/McCallsM4601.jpg ] but if I were making a male coat, personally I would use McCalls 4745 [ http://tosca.homeip.net/temp/tosca/SHOPIRENA/DSC05907.JPG ]. I found the collar the most difficult part of the coat to make.

It's JMO but the Abbyshot coat isn't very screen accurate. [http://www.abbyshot.com/products/pg-cleric.php]
The bib is very wrong and the collar badly shaped and 'soft'. I've tried on one of the Abbyshot coats on and found it very, very heavy, bulky and stiff. You only have to see Preston run and move in the film to see how fluid his coat is. The Abbyshot can't do that but hopefully their updated version will address these points.

This is my coat when I first made it: The Cleric Coat by ~E3Nomad on deviantART
And I took a pic of it on its hanger this morning [badly photoshopped to try and get the detail to show and not very successful at it] http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/frivolity65/ClericCoat.jpg

Where did you get your prozium injector from? I would love one of those. Have you got phials of Prozium too? I'd also LOVE a pair of the berettas but living in the UK it's against the law to modify a gun so I don't know how I'll get them cos you can bet your boots HM Customs would sieze anything gun shaped I'd try and import, fake or not, and I'd get put on some sort of terrorist listing.... I'll have to continue to dream for those.
I'll be following your progess on your coat. Hope you'll be posting on it often. :)

I'll be following your progess on your coat. Hope you'll be posting on it often. :)[/SIZE]

Thanks for sharing your progress! It's a good source of motivation!

That's a cool pattern. I'll have to see how expensive it is and if they have it locally.

Glad I didn't get an Abbyshot's coat when they were available. Making your own coat is much less expensive, and then it's also custom fit to you. Where did you hear they were making a new coat?

Your coat looks great! What material did you use?

I'm in the US so I just had to find the person who makes the resin cleric guns then I could order them.

For the Prozium injector I found an old thread here where someone was selling theirs but I don't think it's going to work out so I'm just going to get my money back. Kind of sucks but I'm just going forward with the atitude that it means I can order the cleric guns sooner! Unfortunately I don't have any phials of prozium, but I'm on the lookout for something that would work (for photoshoots)

That's unfortunate about the fake/real gun laws, but I'm sure things are safer there because of it.

better production still on the resistance website
Official Equilibrium Movie Stills & Images

lots of nice pics - including the grey suit (Brandt's) which reveals the finer details. Fands idea is better IMO as the suit is based off a frock coat or Deacons coat. Similar to a modern day pea coat I think. Military cut seems to be in a lot this year lots of nice coat around to copy off. The material is quite shiny as well.

I am UK too - there was a guy doing a replica conversion peice for a M92 beretta. the laws in UK have relaxed again. As long as its a 2-tone look, you should be able to get one fairly easily

eg http://www.surplusstore.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/50_177

you can either mod it, or find someone who makes the conversion kit

this is one I sold last year
010820102379.jpg

Matsuo is the man you seek for a complete resin model of the clerics weapon; this is a shot of one of my pair -
010820102375.jpg

for the UK i as long as its a solid resin piece (which Matsuo's is) and you ask him to paint it some stupid colour like blue or pink, they TEND to get by. Every now and then they do get nicked, but thems the breaks.

the Prozium in jector was sold by Birdie - great guy, but he sold his molds a while ago now, not sure who has em now - soz

010820102378.jpg

hope that helps

Last edited:
hope that helps

Thanks heatshock. Are you the same one as on the 501st Galactic Marine boards that was desinging the GM helmet?

Most of the stills I found valuable on that website I saved and posted in the picasa album I linked.

I've contacted Matsuo and will be ordering my sidearms from him hopefully soon.

You know what, for guns that are half orange I actually kind of like it!

I had ordered the injector from someone who had received one from Birdie. The sale went through but there were problems in shipping. I figure I can save money and just put it towards the sideams. Just wish me luck with the paypal refund.

COOOOOOL costume! I look forward to following this thread! Keep us updated!

Thanks for the motivation! I will definitely keep everyone in the loop!

Last edited:
I am UK too - there was a guy doing a replica conversion peice for a M92 beretta. the laws in UK have relaxed again. As long as its a 2-tone look, you should be able to get one fairly easily

eg Crawley Surplus Store - workwear, Safety Shoes, Buy Safety Boots, safety toe boots uk, Safety Boots

you can either mod it, or find someone who makes the conversion kit

this is one I sold last year
010820102379.jpg

Matsuo is the man you seek for a complete resin model of the clerics weapon; this is a shot of one of my pair -
010820102375.jpg

for the UK i as long as its a solid resin piece (which Matsuo's is) and you ask him to paint it some stupid colour like blue or pink, they TEND to get by. Every now and then they do get nicked, but thems the breaks.

I'd seen this on dA Matsucorp's deviantART Gallery and I presume it's the same guy. They look beautiful. I'm really tempted to try and import a pair...

Fand Bear what material did you make the outside of your coat with?

It's simply a brushed polycotton fabric. Too light to really be called a coating fabric but heavier than shirting fabric. It was cheap and I got it from a local fabric shop. The fabric I have for my new coat is a plain black polycotton. It won't have a soft sheen but it will hang a lot better.

I used old bedsheets and duvet covers for mock-ups to check pattern alterations were right and they cost me nothing as they'd been donated to the cause. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back