Enterprise poll

boatbuilder1

Ok this could be the first poll I have started forgive me if there is a easyer way to do this.

ok so this could be a poll
if you didn't have to worry about money which
studio scale big E would you build
STTMP series
TNG galaxy
TNG E

for me, the big E tmp is the ultimate ship, I just can not fathom why some don't like it. it has grace and style and grandeur as well as it kicks #$%#
the basic saucer shape would be the easy to make using the old trouling method the secondary hull would be a challenge to get all the complex curves right
the nacelles and pylons could be sculpted from renshape or high density balsa foam
the most difficult part for me would be creating and welding the armature my metal skills are fine in the non-ferrous metals. the steel area is a complete mystery to me
I could go on and on so I will stop for now

The Motion Picture Enterprise is the nicest-looking, most functionally elegant model I have ever seen at the movies.

It takes everything that was RIGHT about the TOS Enterprise but removes all the bad stuff (the flimsy nacelle pylons, the antique-looking sensor dish, the twinkling Christmas lights in the nacelles) and brings the design dramatically up-to-date.

The funny thing is that both versions of the ship were designed by the same man, Matt Jefferies.

Jefferies usually doesn't get much, if any, credit for the TMP Enterprise but it was his basic designs from Star Trek: Phase II that were elaborated on by Andrew Probert, Doug Trumbull, Joe Jennings (?), and a number of other guys who worked directly on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Needless to say, Jefferies WAS the primary designer of the ST:TMP Enterprise and any cursory look at the Phase II Enterprise plans should convince even the most clueless movie fan who doesn't know the difference between a TOS Klingon and Motion Picture Klingon.

26 years after the design debuted in ST:TMP, I still think it's the model to beat. It's become a timeless design when so many others have not aged well at all. After Star Trek II introduced the beautifully compact Reliant model, I think Star Trek starship designs when down hill and future Enterprise/starship designs got progressively uglier.

Originally posted by GeorgeC@Aug 5 2005, 04:37 PM
The Motion Picture Enterprise is the nicest-looking, most functionally elegant model I have ever seen at the movies.

It takes everything that was RIGHT about the TOS Enterprise but removes all the bad stuff (the flimsy nacelle pylons, the antique-looking sensor dish, the twinkling Christmas lights in the nacelles) and brings the design dramatically up-to-date.

The funny thing is that both versions of the ship were designed by the same man, Matt Jefferies.

Jefferies usually doesn't get much, if any, credit for the TMP Enterprise but it was his basic designs from Star Trek: Phase II that were elaborated on by Andrew Probert, Doug Trumbull, Joe Jennings (?), and a number of other guys who worked directly on Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Needless to say, Jefferies WAS the primary designer of the ST:TMP Enterprise and any cursory look at the Phase II Enterprise plans should convince even the most clueless movie fan who doesn't know the difference between a TOS Klingon and Motion Picture Klingon.

26 years after the design debuted in ST:TMP, I still think it's the model to beat.  It's become a timeless design when so many others have not aged well at all.  After Star Trek II introduced the beautifully compact Reliant model, I think Star Trek starship designs when down hill and future Enterprise/starship designs got progressively uglier.
[snapback]1050653[/snapback]​

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

TMP Enterprise... all the way. :thumbsup

Ditto, TMP Enterprise all the way. :thumbsup I've always LOVED the torpedo shroud on her....just made her look al the more real and militaristic.

Chris

says it all for me :thumbsup

Originally posted by knightdriver2001+Aug 5 2005, 05:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(knightdriver2001 @ Aug 5 2005, 05:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-GeorgeC
@Aug 5 2005, 04:37 PM

Jefferies usually doesn't get much, if any, credit for the TMP Enterprise but it was his basic designs from Star Trek: Phase II that were elaborated on by Andrew Probert, Doug Trumbull, Joe Jennings (?), and a number of other guys who worked directly on Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Needless to say, Jefferies WAS the primary designer of the ST:TMP Enterprise and any cursory look at the Phase II Enterprise plans should convince even the most clueless movie fan who doesn't know the difference between a TOS Klingon and Motion Picture Klingon.

26 years after the design debuted in ST:TMP, I still think it's the model to beat.  It's become a timeless design when so many others have not aged well at all.  After Star Trek II introduced the beautifully compact Reliant model, I think Star Trek starship designs when down hill and future Enterprise/starship designs got progressively uglier.
[snapback]1050653[/snapback]​

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

TMP Enterprise... all the way. :thumbsup
[snapback]1050667[/snapback]​
[/b]

Not me. TOS, the first. While I agree that TMP is a gorgeous design, I have always enjoyed how the design of TMP flowed directly from TOS. In real life, not sure that engineering actually works that way, but it looks good projected on a big wall. :)

Sorry, there's one in every crowd...

Besides, who hasn't seen T2Sides Big E and thought, 'if only...'

Allan

wow this thing really took off.
I have nothing against the TOS she is a classic and beauty all in her own class
but as far as grace and symetry it has to be tmp

TOS season 3 no doubt- I like the Motion Picture Enterprise but I disliked the movie and that has an effect.

I'm in with Kurok 100%. TOS just a bit more than TMP for me. Those big nacelles have a utilitarian simplicity and powerful look. But well said, George C. Two of the greatest fictional spaceship designs of all time. And they're the same ship.

Well, I love the simplicity and futurism of the TOS Enterprise, but the TMP E has always seemed a little more "real" to me. I agree completely that it took everything good about the TOS E and only improved upon it.

It truly was the star of The Motion Picture. :D

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back